Mens Tennis Forums banner
2601 - 2620 of 5808 Posts

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Also when has "making the virus magically go away" EVER been the goal with lockdowns? It's to prevent hopsitals from being overloaded, something I believe is happening in Texas and Florida at the moment as they followed the "let it spread" strategy.
Yes, this kind of strawman botting is getting really tiring. Same as the demagoguery about "different measures". Nobody really knows what's right, but everyone knows that whatever had been applied was totally wrong. :sleep:

At a large scale, such rhetoric is truly not helpful. It puts extra pressure on decision makers, who are between a rock and a hard place to begin with, and makes it so much harder to create a proper long term strategy. We can see what's happening in countries that rushed lifting lockdowns without a gradual exit plan. People take it for granted and complacency and carelessness replace caution and common sense.
That's also why all the theorizing about "guidelines" and "letting people decide what's best for them" is a utopian delusion. Non Asian public, time and time again, has proven to not be disciplined enough to allow for such an approach.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The Chinese Embassy in Kazakhstan on Thursday warned Chinese citizens living in the country of a local pneumonia of unknown cause, which local media reported has a "much higher" fatality rate than COVID-19.

The unknown pneumonia in Kazakhstan caused 1,772 deaths in the first six months of the year, including 628 people in June alone
, including Chinese citizens, the embassy said in a statement on its WeChat platform on Thursday, citing Kazakh media reports.

The fatality rate of the disease is much higher than COVID-19, and organizations including Kazakhstan's health department are studying the "virus of this pneumonia," the embassy quoted media.

There hasn't been any indication whether this disease is related to the COVID-19.
Chinese Embassy in Kazakhstan urges caution following reports of 'unknown pneumonia' - Global Times

·
RAVE ON
20,206 Posts
The US has just caught up to Brazil on the 7-day average of new cases/population.

Go, Donnie, go!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Implementing measures to prevent the hospitals from collapsing was the right procedure in the beginning. Unfortunately many states feared absolutely fatal death numbers predicted by faulty models that massively overrated the severety of the disease and also the efficiency of lockdowns and just followed what everybody else was doing based on them.

Actually politicians originally rejected "lockdowns" because of the severe side-effects their implementation has, but when you see models predicting in case of Germany something like 1,000,000 deaths, you obviously don't want to be responsible for that and see the downsides of shutting down everything immediately as the lesser evil, even without properly thinking through how to eventually leave the crisis.
Sweden was different, because they have their own epidemologist who considered the modelling overly pessimistic and didn't went after its recommendations (the model was eventually proven to be wrong around factor 20).

Call it bold, but I don't see how a policy for which this "prediction" was the necessary foundation to implement it (and therefore to have a positive benefit/risk ratio), could have been the right one.

Reactions: nachotuerto

·
Read Only
11,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,607 ·
Today I got an idea and it worked. Thinking police might be around to fine me if seen without mask in my fave park, I went to nearest Starbucks and bought myself a big cup of cappuccino. Well..I had an excuse to not use a mask, even after it is finished, I kept holding it so that our lovely police reckoned it is still there and none of them messed me as a result.

Problem..solved. In the long run: caffeine addiction? 😂

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
For the US, I can see the following problem emerging regarding hospital capacities in the South and California. You now have to catch up with all the delayed treatments that you didn't do during the time the hospitals had been empty and this overlaps with the wave of COVID patients.
Either of them individually would have probably been fine, but both of these effects together might lead to issues.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
WOAT Predictor
7,206 Posts
The state of Victoria closed off down here.
Had 216 cases overnight.
1 elderly man died overnight too.
Very few cases in my local health area, a couple of hours north of Sydney. (Hunter - New England Health)
The strategy of complete containment and elimination appears to be working.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

·
RAVE ON
20,206 Posts
OAN or the Comedy Network. I am not sure which is the funniest. But I guess the Comedy Network is more scientifically informed.

When you keep posting garbage from a far right conspiracy theory fake news channel, people just laugh at you.
Ha, ha, ha.

I have a whole bunch of Pulmicort in my medicine cabinet. And you are gullible enough to believe that a common inhaler has only been discovered as a COVID cure by one doctor? LOL

Oh wait...... I am virus free! It works! It works! It works!

Reactions: ssin

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
hahaahaahahaa OAN? Oh man, please never stop entertaining us. How is your therapy with the miracle drug hydroxychloroquin going? Please stay alive till at least November, man. We are going to have so much fun.

·
Premium Member
11,743 Posts
Budesonide could be legit. Probably not a 'silver bullet', but there have been reports from around the world of various corticosteroids (like Budesonide) showing a positive effect with some patients.

Finnish doctors reported having used Methylprednisolone.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Budesonide could be legit. Probably not a 'silver bullet', but there have been reports from around the world of various corticosteroids (like Budesonide) showing a positive effect with some patients.
Corticosteroids have been used to treat various pulmonary inflammations for decades. It would be strange if they didn't show any positive effect when such symptoms are exhibited. Just like antibiotics show a positive effect on patients who develop secondary bacterial pneumonia. To be honest, I am surprised nobody has "discovered" this "silver bullet" yet.
Seriously, any practicing physician that uses such expressions even semi seriously, should be stripped of their license.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
In Hong Kong we are experiencing a third wave with over 100 cases this week after two weeks of zero local transmission, which is by far the most since Januaury. As reported the virus is a new type which has a higher rate of transmission.

With contact tracing, we never have sampled people on a large scale. This proves to be a failure with more cases with unknown sources of infection.

·
justice for all
19,575 Posts
no way. Jesus and Mary pictures will be kept but I am against it being a mosque. He does it to get the votes after losing Istanbul to seculars.
Good to hear it from you. That decision is very controversial or to be more straightforward: weak as fuck.

2601 - 2620 of 5808 Posts