Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
justice for all
13,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm serious.
We are talking a lot about negative effects of coronavirus pandemic and how horrible everything is and will be.
Now for a change let us look for some positive sides of this pandemic.
I'll start so that you'd get the idea what this thread is meant to be about.

1. Families spending more time together during the quarantine.
2. The development of telemedicine services platforms.
3. Natural environment cleaner/ less pollution.
4. People will finally learn how to wash their hands.
5. No traffic jams.
6. Cheaper gasoline.

Feel free to add more, floor is yours!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Can't see many positives so far, but no point in writing negatives in this topic, so let's try:

Completely agree with point 3, although I already live in an area with quite some nature (deer, owls, rabbits etc).
Another advantage is that I'm spending a lot of time in self development, and am reading books.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'll add , a quality extended time with yourself , without the external "bombing" rush to get things done, to get to a place, etc . To be able to think things through. A time to lay the foundations of what you're going to do next , and how .

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
No tard wars on MTF.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
3 is especially amazing, I can now hear birds chirping very clearly, before it was a vague sound. hopefully we will change the way society behaves in cities after the crisis is over
tho i think it's a good thing i strongly believe the birds are the reason why i sleep so badly the last few weeks. they are so fucking loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Us being quarantined at our home helps our nature recover from global warming. If you notice, there is less pollution in the air especially those who lived in the city, less to no trash in the streets and beaches because people stay indoors.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,637 Posts
The gasoline as you said is really cheap.

In Sydney, well below 95c/L, which is echoing 20 years ago (most of the time, unleaded fuel cost goes from 1.08 to 1.63).

Saved money on commute costs in general too and you are guaranteed a seat if you do catch public transport.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if this is one of the benefits, but some of us probably have been working from home when this lockdown was issued. That meant to us parents that we will have more time with our family while still having the benefit of working from home.

·
justice for all
13,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if this is one of the benefits, but some of us probably have been working from home when this lockdown was issued. That meant to us parents that we will have more time with our family while still having the benefit of working from home.
I generally think it's a big benefit both for employees and employers. Home office was very underrated and not popular enough. Hopefully this will change for good not only during the pandemics. I mean long term maybe not full home office but partial is fine and mostly beneficial:
  • less money spent on commuting
  • less time wasted during commuting
  • more time spent with family
  • less money spent by companies for work spaces/ rents
Sure some conditions needs to be met mainy the employees need to be trustworthy and do their job without such strict vigilance but it is doable.
Also, needs to be said not every work can be done from home/ remotely. Some works will always need personal contact.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Work from home has created a lot of discomfort among people, it hasn't been perceived has something fair.

The whole situation was made to look bad to worse when we found out at my work those who worked from home benefited of a 30€ "bonus" per month for electricity consumption.

·
justice for all
13,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Work from home has created a lot of discomfort among people, it hasn't been perceived has something fair.

The whole situation was made to look bad to worse when we found out at my work those who worked from home benefited of a 30€ "bonus" per month for electricity consumption.
I don't know - haven't seen any reliable surveys on that. I am an employer and from my talks to many people (I don't mean now but before the pandemics) most of them would welcome home office or partial home office as a benefit. In fact some of them would take home office over some increase of the earnings.
Fair point about the cost of bigger electricity consumption (not just that water consumption grows too) but like I said they can save money and time on less commuting. In some cities people spend 3 hours daily on getting to the office and back home.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I don't know - haven't seen any reliable surveys on that. I am an employer and from my talks to many people (I don't mean now but before the pandemics) most of them would welcome home office or partial home office as a benefit. In fact some of them would take home office over some earnings increase.
Fair point about the cost of bigger electricity consumption (not just that water consumption grows too) but like I said they can save money and time on less commuting. In some cities people spend 3 hours daily on getting to the office and back home.
The bonuses should go to those that are going to work and actually taking risks, waking up early in the morning and eating a sandwich at lunch.. It should be something that is quite substantial too, i would say at least 100€ per month.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
BiIIionaires Iike David Geffen can spend more time on their $500 + miIIion yacht boasting about isolating themselves out on the Caribbean.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Nice positive thread idea

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Some possible positive impacts on society:

• Companies discovering that teleworking is faisable. (I hope some will at least allow a day of teleworking per week after this crisis)
  • Companies & people discovering that videoconferences can be more productive than the constant travelling to meet people (for many, business travel is just a pretext to get around and earn travel benefits)
  • Governments and companies realizing that extreme globalization and outsourcing of production of essential goods to far away countries is risky;
  • Politicians realizing that "less government", especially in healthcare and social security, is dangerous; more public funds invested in those sectors
  • After weeks of home confinement, a renewed appreciation for living in the countryside, less concentration of people in the cities, more decentralization (+ teleworking instead of constant commuting)

·
Registered
7 Posts
One other benefit that I see for working at home is you get to save yourself from bad health and stress if you're in a city with too much air pollution and traffic. I guess it really depends on what kind of work you have that other people find discomfort experiencing this kind of set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I generally think it's a big benefit both for employees and employers. Home office was very underrated and not popular enough. Hopefully this will change for good not only during the pandemics. I mean long term maybe not full home office but partial is fine and mostly beneficial:
  • less money spent on commuting
  • less time wasted during commuting
  • more time spent with family
  • less money spent by companies for work spaces/ rents
Sure some conditions needs to be met mainy the employees need to be trustworthy and do their job without such strict vigilance but it is doable.
Also, needs to be said not every work can be done from home/ remotely. Some works will always need personal contact.
Agree, I for one would choose to stay working at home once this pandemic is over, how I wish my boss will let me :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts