Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before going into the subject, I think it's clear that the most serious questions is first about the health of the people, and then about the players ranked above 100 or something who struggles to make a life playing tennis.
The top 50 will not struggle (in theory) since they are young (corona are killing most old) and rich (they can live without prize money for a while).

But man, this goat debate its been so long and so exhausting that I cant stand it anymore. But I think that by this point, at least the data must be fair for the debate

Well, Djokovic and Nadal are cleary the harmed ones
  • Will be harder to reach 100 titles or more
  • Masters 1000 its a important thing for the debate, but of course behind other criterias
  • Djokovic has a shot in RG this year (and a less likely shot for calendar and golden slam)
  • Nadal has his BEST shot to finally reach Federer after 15 years of chasing it, at RG
  • Nadal could decrease the gap in the H2H with Djokovic in clay season, or Djokovic increase with significant wins on clay (H2H is important too, but behind other criterias too)
  • Djokovic will never win anymore an olympic gold if Tokyo is cancelled (very very important and only Nadal's luck. For me, olympics is what tennis players dreams most of after GS, no matter some people try to devaluate it)
  • GS counting will be asterisked

You can argue about some GS won by Federer if it was against Baghdatis, against baby djokovic, etc..., but he had the chance to play all the times.
I think that play must resume, if possible. If the airports/authorities allow to people enter and leave countries, then close the doors and let those guys play.
It will be anti climax to see Nadal winning 20th title with no crowd. It will anti climax to see Djokovic win over Nadal and/or complete second carreer GS with no crowd. But I think this will avoid some relevant asterisks to the debate. I know it makes no sense playing without spectators. But we have to put things into context.

Nadal and Djokovic are not in their primes. But still very very dominant.
I dont want to diminish any Federer achievement. But let this be fair to everyone. Specially Nadal and Djokovic, who are in chase for so so many years. Guys are living for these records. They would be retired by now if were not by these records. Djokovic is bored is being some time. The guy wins with no sweat 98% of his matches. Nadal is fucking up with his body and he knows it.

Of course this will harm some data for the next rivalries too. But we are finally watching the end of an era, with 3 guys who are the top 10, top 5, and some say even the top 3 of all time.

Tennis is not above health of the people at all. If tournaments cant have all the players availabe, then stop it, for sure. But if its possible, they should play.

·
Your visions will happen
52,904 Posts
It is the worst possible time for this to happen really in terms of tennis GOAT debate

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
Your thread might be a bit early.

Madrid, Rome and Paris are still not cancelled yet. So far we have 2 Masters 1000 cancelled. It costed Djodal 1 or 2 masters 1000 titles. That can be digest. Let us wait if they will proceed without spectators.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Before going into the subject, I think it's clear that the most serious questions is first about the health of the people, and then about the players ranked above 100 or something who struggles to make a life playing tennis.
The top 50 will not struggle (in theory) since they are young (corona are killing most old) and rich (they can live without prize money for a while).

But man, this goat debate its been so long and so exhausting that I cant stand it anymore. But I think that by this point, at least the data must be fair for the debate

Well, Djokovic and Nadal are cleary the harmed ones
  • Will be harder to reach 100 titles or more
  • Masters 1000 its a important thing for the debate, but of course behind other criterias
  • Djokovic has a shot in RG this year (and a less likely shot for calendar and golden slam)
  • Nadal has his BEST shot to finally reach Federer after 15 years of chasing it, at RG
  • Nadal could decrease the gap in the H2H with Djokovic in clay season, or Djokovic increase with significant wins on clay (H2H is important too, but behind other criterias too)
  • Djokovic will never win anymore an olympic gold if Tokyo is cancelled (very very important and only Nadal's luck. For me, olympics is what tennis players dreams most of after GS, no matter some people try to devaluate it)
  • GS counting will be asterisked
You can argue about some GS won by Federer if it was against Baghdatis, against baby djokovic, etc..., but he had the chance to play all the times.
I think that play must resume, if possible. If the airports/authorities allow to people enter and leave countries, then close the doors and let those guys play.
It will be anti climax to see Nadal winning 20th title with no crowd. It will anti climax to see Djokovic win over Nadal and/or complete second carreer GS with no crowd. But I think this will avoid some relevant asterisks to the debate. I know it makes no sense playing without spectators. But we have to put things into context.

Nadal and Djokovic are not in their primes. But still very very dominant.
I dont want to diminish any Federer achievement. But let this be fair to everyone. Specially Nadal and Djokovic, who are in chase for so so many years. Guys are living for these records. They would be retired by now if were not by these records. Djokovic is bored is being some time. The guy wins with no sweat 98% of his matches. Nadal is fucking up with his body and he knows it.

Of course this will harm some data for the next rivalries too. But we are finally watching the end of an era, with 3 guys who are the top 10, top 5, and some say even the top 3 of all time.

Tennis is not above health of the people at all. If tournaments cant have all the players availabe, then stop it, for sure. But if its possible, they should play.
Not for everyone. Tell that nonsense to Dominic Thiem, for example.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Every month that goes by it is less likely that Nadal or Djoko will just come back and dominate.

They are getting older and I'm sure will be thinking about taking care of their family

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Every month that goes by it is less likely that Nadal or Djoko will just come back and dominate.

They are getting older and I'm sure will be thinking about taking care of their family
I think Its already a lock that Nadal is done. There will be no Slam 2020, and 2021 he will be too old to win anything.

I still think Djokovic can do it, though. It depends if 2021 will go on as planned.

Federer should retire now, of course. Its over for him.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think Its already a lock that Nadal is done. There will be no Slam 2020, and 2021 he will be too old to win anything.

I still think Djokovic can do it, though. It depends if 2021 will go on as planned.

Federer should retire now, of course. Its over for him.
Nadal is a very selfish guy. Wouldn't surprise me if he played the next 3 French opens (ie 2021, 22, 23) just to get to 21.

Djoko said after Aus open win that in 2 years he will spend more time with his family. When he drops his obsession and intensity he is a different player.

I think this break could affect Djoko a lot. Sure he could get to 20-21 with 18 good months, but it will be a tough ask to go beyond that if this whole year is wiped out.

Either way, things are looking much better for Federer. If he is on 20 and the others are on 19-20, it is much better than if the other guys both surged ahead to 22+

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
There may b a Corona virus issue raging right now but there will likely never b a legit. “GOAT debate” after USO20 which will b conducted & likely won by the Serb. Then u will have an unprecedented scenario w/ 3 current players holding the most majors on 3 respective surfaces. What GOAT metrics u gonna use then?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
There may b a Corona virus issue raging right now but there will likely never b a legit. “GOAT debate” after USO20 which will b conducted & likely won by the Serb. Then u will have an unprecedented scenario w/ 3 current players holding the most majors on 3 respective surfaces. What metrics u gonna use then?
I would be cautious about this as Djokovic momentum and form so far in 2020 will go out of the window, everyone will start from scratch.

A mentally rested and motivated Djokovic should do well at the USO though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If this seasons canceled Federer is the luckiest tennis player on earth while Nadal is the most unlucky. This could really hurt him mentally as well knowing how close he is.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Three points:

1. I believe Fed will retire this year given the corona virus situation has wiped out 2020. He will be practically 40 when we get to fulll swing.
2. A lot of players are at crossroads. Those in there mid 30s and those ranked outside the top 100. Players like Wawrinka, Murray, those who are on the cusp of retiring will may also retire this year. It really depends on how fulfilled this long period from tennis makes them feel. If they feel empty and depressed and need that adrenalin, they will not retire just yet. I heard Wawrinka saying how depressed he was when he was injured and nothing made him feel that adrenalin like he has experienced with tennis.

3. Finally, I am afraid to say, that Corona Virus will always dominate the GOAT debate and I do not think it should. I think that would be a shame if Corona was the main talking point when we reflect on who is GOAT. Let's just pretend all 3 are injured right now...and the whole tour of course

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Closed door theory is nonsense. The tournament is paid by fans to exist. No owner or company will lose 10 millions to hold a no sense business in a week.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If this seasons canceled Federer is the luckiest tennis player on earth while Nadal is the most unlucky. This could really hurt him mentally as well knowing how close he is.
True, it seems Federer had it planned very well. He could come back in Wimbledon. RG could be cancelled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts