Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only natural to feel pressure winning your first grandslam, on top of that Coric has other issues. Having exactly the same boring pusher game like Murray is not one of them, its much more complicated. Croatia has not once had a champion that could break the barier of the so called one slam wonder. We have Ivanisevic, Cilic and Coric who will fight to break the curse that has been following Croatia through generations. Poor Coric is far from done if he ever wins that first grandslam, after that awaits the true test.
Can Coric break the curse or is Croatia only good in producing one slam wonders?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Croatian media is nowhere near as big as British media is and at the same time they are not that interested in tennis. He will never have same pressure as Murray!

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
True, Croatia only cares about tennis when a Croatian wins a GS. And it lasts for a week. Then it's back to normal, nazi symbol filled football.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
No one will feel the same amount pressure as much as Murray did prior to his Wimbledon win. When Croatia invent a sport, don't produce a champion of that sport in it's own backyard for over 70 years, increase it's population 10 fold, and have stifling media coverage during said tournament for 2 weeks, then come back and we'll talk about said athlete feeling more pressure than Murray.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
While Novak is around, Croat's media will remain in silence whatever their tennis players do. It's not Novak's fault, it's theirs of course. So Borna does not have pressure yet. Funny thing is that Serbs their arch enemies, have more belief in Ćorić than they have.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Yeah...no. Are you saying that Cilic will never win another slam? Does that pressure come off if Cilic defends his USO, or if he wins another slam?

Funny with changing your flag to a Canadian one I figured you'd be sprouting off about the pressure on Raonic to win slam (let me give you a hint, all the pressure on Raonic is from himself, the Canadian media only cares when he's doing well).

·
Registered
340 Posts
While Novak is around, Croat's media will remain in silence whatever their tennis players do. It's not Novak's fault, it's theirs of course. So Borna does not have pressure yet. Funny thing is that Serbs their arch enemies, have more belief in Ćorić than they have.
It's not really about Novak or Serbia, football has taken over. I would say 2/3 of any sport news is about football and 1/3 is about ALL OTHER sports combined. Tennis tv coverage is abyssmall and you dont have much to watch if you don't have cable TV. (likely there are livestreams thesedays)

All that started aproximately whan Ivanišević left, and was happening even during Ljubičić/Ančić time. (way before Đoković)

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
What are you talking about?

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's not really about Novak or Serbia, football has taken over. I would say 2/3 of any sport news is about football and 1/3 is about ALL OTHER sports combined. Tennis tv coverage is abyssmall and you dont have much to watch if you don't have cable TV. (likely there are livestreams thesedays)

All that started aproximately whan Ivanišević left, and was happening even during Ljubičić/Ančić time. (way before Đoković)
its a shame that football have that much coverage. Croatia have insanely talented basketball generation with Saric, Hezonja, Arapovic, Bender, Mazalin, Zizic... right now they are looking more talented then current Spanish generation, maybe even on same level as late 80s Yugoslavia...
you guys also have GS champion in Cilic, one of most talented player in Coric... you have Blanka Vlasic, Ana Simic and incredible Sandra Perkovic...

i can't understand how is that much about football(i know it is, i just don't know why) when you excel in so many other sports...

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
why all of this Coric talk? he just keeps popping up in discussion despite lack of results. He's doing well this season for his age but nothing that noteworthy thus far. the guy can't even hit groundstrokes harder than Wozniaki yet people keep talking about the pressure he will 'have' to get to the top of the game. please for your own sakes and inevitable disappointment move on :rolleyes:

Reactions: ViennaCalling

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
What are you talking about?
Be precise.

I know about football. If we toss out football for obvious reasons (most popular sport ever), tennis should be popular in Croatia because of Čilić, Ćorić, coach Ivanišević, Karlović, Donna Vekić, Mira Lučić and tradition you have in this sport.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
This thread title is screaming; I don’t know what I am talking about!
These days people in Croatia are rather
too busy making it day after day, than anything else. Population (in the country itself) of 4.5
million is normally occupied with football results
and there are some other sports heroes like
Handball national team, that people watch more
frequent than tennis.
Ivanisevic 2001 story was, is and will be a Hollywood material (After all, there’s a movie already made with “That Spiderman girl”)
We had people winning slams like Majoli winning RG, that hardly anybody remembers…
To sum up, unless you are an betting addict or
Simply a rare tennis fanatic, you don’t bother
much with likes of Coric… Coric, yeah I know
new Dinamo raising star, a new Luka Modric.;)
Cheers!

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
True, Croatia only cares about tennis when a Croatian wins a GS. And it lasts for a week. Then it's back to normal, nazi symbol filled football.
:spit: :lol:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Having exactly the same boring pusher game like Murray is not one of them
Coric only has the same boring pusher game that Murray has when he's playing badly.. Otherwise he has the Djokovic boring pusher game. He'll eventually work out how to moonball when he starts declining. Fed is excused from this diss post.

No one will feel the same amount pressure as much as Murray did prior to his Wimbledon win. When Croatia invent a sport, don't produce a champion of that sport in it's own backyard for over 70 years, increase it's population 10 fold, and have stifling media coverage during said tournament for 2 weeks, then come back and we'll talk about said athlete feeling more pressure than Murray.
Aye.. Surprised the balding process is taking as long as it is.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Croatian media is nowhere near as big as British media is and at the same time they are not that interested in tennis. He will never have same pressure as Murray!
True. The only pressure Borna will have is the pressure he puts on his shoulders by himself. ;)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
True, Croatia only cares about tennis when a Croatian wins a GS. And it lasts for a week. Then it's back to normal
Can you explain why on MTF there are so much Croatian posters? By your logic, a week after Marin's USO we would all go elsewhere. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
BS.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Can Coric break the curse or is Croatia only good in producing one slam wonders?
But...but.... Novak Djokovic broke that curse in 2011 by winning AO? Isn't he half Croatian and Half Montenegrin?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts