Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Considering how last year went for Coric, I think we fans need a new discussion thread as much as he needs a new beginning... And 2020 is off to a positive start for us all 馃榾

Coric won his first match at the inaugural ATP Cup, defeating Thiem 7-6(4) 2-6 6-3 in a little over 2h40min. Not the best he's ever played but certainly his biggest victory in over a year, against a top 5 player who ended 2019 in great form.

Cool, calm and clutch when needed, especially at the conclusion of the first set (after twice relinquishing a break lead) and the decider, where he held a 14min game he risked losing from 40:0 up.

Coric can be encouraged by this performance and hopefully build on it 馃槆

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
A couple of other recent developments for this season... Coric has hired the Czech former player Martin Stepanek, who most recently worked with Tomas Berdych, as his new coach. He also has a new apparel sponsor in Asics.

Registered
A couple of other recent developments for this season... Coric has hired the Czech former player Martin Stepanek, who most recently worked with Tomas Berdych, as his new coach. He also has a new apparel sponsor in Asics.
Bizzare move re asics. Must be good money. Did you see match? I was not able

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Bizzare move re asics. Must be good money.
I'm not a Nike fan so not sorry to see him leave them, but I admit Asics seems like an odd fit for Coric.

Did you see match? I was not able
Yes I did. I'm not good at tennis analysis so can only give my general impression of what I saw... IMO, Coric was OK to pretty good while Thiem was brilliant at times but also erratic. Overall, he was the slightly better player today.

First set should have been won more comfortably but I'm more than willing to cut him some slack. Had a natural middle set letdown, combined with Thiem improving, and took a toilet break to regroup change clothes.

Came back strong in the decider and made some adjustments, thanks in part to Cilic's tablet data analysis 馃 Seventh game was key but once he held it was fairly straightforward. Clinched it on the first MP.

Overall, Coric handled Thiem's power quite well. Movement was good and groundstrokes OK - FH a little shaky as usual but not producing UE bursts. Serve was average but got the job done.

For me, I think the general attitude and demeanour throughout was most impressive. Coric never seemed frustrated, impatient, resigned or disheartened as he sometimes did in matches last year.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately Coric couldn't follow up his Thiem victory with another win yesterday, falling to Hurkacz 2-6 2-6 馃槩 Didn't watch this match as I forgot to check the schedule and Croatia happened to be in the morning session, so I slept through it.

Stats indicate the Pole had a great serving day but I'm still a bit surprised, and very disappointed, at how lopsided this loss was... Coric will need to be better against Schwartman next, whom he's beaten twice before but lost to meekly in their biggest encounter (RG '18).

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Coric probably feeling a sense of deja vu after his latest match as Schwartzman defeated him by the same scoreline, 6-2 6-2, as the one before 馃槰

This time I was able to watch and it was simply a terrible performance from start to finish. Nothing was working for Coric as he made 30+ UEs and looked flat and listless throughout.

It's still early days in the season, with a new coach he's not had much time with, so I'm trying to keep things in perspective... But what I saw today from Coric was so disheartening 馃槗

Registered
Considering how last year went for Coric, I think we fans need a new discussion thread as much as he needs a new beginning... And 2020 is off to a positive start for us all
This didn鈥檛 age well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts