Mens Tennis Forums banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
A good day to win a match in straight sets for Borna
Which is exactly what he did, 6-3 6-3 :) Even so, it was not quite as straightforward a match as the scoreline suggests.

Coric could have won easier and sooner as he had a 3/18 BP conversion, the vast majority of chances coming in the first set. Wu managed to survive an epic 12-deuce service game at 2-2 from 0:40 but, barring unexpected disaster, there was only going to be one victor here.

The winner of the de Minaur-Murray match is up next - it's still ongoing and looks like it could be a long and tough battle. It was crucial for Coric to complete his opener quickly, especially in what seem to be oppressive conditions, and be physically fresh for his next opponent.

The calf tape from last week has migrated up his right leg to the thigh, but Coric generally looked fine to me and was moving well. His FH misfired a lot, however, and while he wasn't tested on serve today it will need to be particularly sharp tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
A straight set win and I got to see it :woohoo: I agree with @Rumour assessment of the match. Borna will now play de Minaur who defeated Andy in 3 sets.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
A straight set win and I got to see it :woohoo: I agree with @Rumour assessment of the match. Borna will now play de Minaur who defeated Andy in 3 sets.
Such a pity I won't manage to watch a match between two my favs :crying:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Borna will now play de Minaur who defeated Andy in 3 sets.
I expected de Minaur to win but not for it to be such a struggle - Murray held up better than I thought. I'm hoping that Coric being the fresher player for once! in their match will make a positive difference :angel: Otherwise I suspect the QF will be tricky as the young Aussie pretty much has the same strengths to his game.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I expected de Minaur to win but not for it to be such a struggle - Murray held up better than I thought. I'm hoping that Coric being the fresher player for once! in their match will make a positive difference :angel: Otherwise I suspect the QF will be tricky as the young Aussie pretty much has the same strengths to his game.
I'm expecting a de Minaur win myself. If Borna has to lose the match, at least it will be to another player I like ;)

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I'm expecting a de Minaur win myself.
You were right, he beat Coric 6-2 4-6 6-4. To quote myself from the GM result thread:

De Minaur was too good today :hatoff: Relentless on return, defence, speed, movement, placement, feel, the works... He was the better player overall and probably feels he should have won in straights.

Coric made it respectable in the end, coming down from a break twice in the middle set (and almost being down a double break). Finally figured out the right tactics (slice, taking off pace) as well as cutting down the errors, and even won his opening service game in the decider (which he failed to do the previous two sets). Couldn't recover from a sloppy service game or pressure de Minaur on return one more time, however.
If Borna has to lose the match, at least it will be to another player I like ;)
Personally I'm indifferent to de Minaur: don't particularly like or dislike him :shrug: Don't mind him winning but yes, it's usually easier for me also to have one fave lose to another.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Borna out in 1st RD Tokyo to Taro Daniel in 3 sets :banghead: :smash:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Yes @Mae, Coric lost to the local WC 4-6 6-4 6-7(5) :facepalm:

As I wrote elsewhere:

Woke up to see the result, glad I didn't make the extra effort to actually watch it :eek:

The match stats for both players were very similar across the board and each won exactly the same number of points (97/194). A close encounter then, where the match could easily have gone the other way had the outcome been different on one or two points...

Except this is a match that Coric should be winning fairly comfortably, not scraping by or - even worse - losing. Like last week, I felt he got a decent draw here and should at least win a couple of matches (before probably coming up against de Minaur yet again).

He's got a Shanghai F to defend next and let's be real, the chances of that happening given Coric's current form are slim to none. I genuinely thought Tokyo was his best chance to lessen the damage so, unless there is yet another physical problem, this is a massively disappointing loss to me.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Sadly I agree with everything you have said :sad: @Rumour When I first saw Borna I felt he was going to be an up and coming player. Then there was the knee problem and every time since then when I think he is totally on his way again he seems to lapse badly :tears:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Barring a miraculous deep run in at least one of his remaining three tournaments, it's safe to conclude Coric has stalled, if not regressed, this season. The one or two times he showed signs of last year's quality, as in Rome, it was immediately followed by injury or a return to erratic form. He's just not been able to generate and sustain momentum for any significant period in 2019.

Health problems have obviously taken their toll but I suspect the coaching situation has also had a detrimental impact, starting with Schneider having to step aside. I think Piatti had a positive impact on his game but some of the things he required of Coric went against his natural instincts. Compliance was easier when things were going well - not so much when he was struggling, I suspect.

Also, this is pure conjecture on my part but I think Coric felt the pressure of going into most matches as a favourite. Someone in GM pointed out he's often had these strange patches (usually in set 1) where he tries to force the issue and plays super-aggressively, yet carelessly. Like, 'I am supposed to be the better player, I'll show it by ending the point quickly,' usually resulting in a wild UE.

He's somehow managed to maintain a steady ranking position between 12-15 throughout the year, but that's going to change very soon unless Coric can call up some magic over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Borna lost to Rublev in straight sets in Shanghai.
Yes, I woke up early knowing it was going to be the only chance to watch Coric play in Shanghai. The scoreline ended 6-4 7-6(4) for the Russian but he actually served for it at at 5-4 in the second set... He stumbled for the first time on serve and Coric grabbed his one and only BP of the whole match to briefly make things interesting.

Otherwise make no mistake: Rublev was the much better player and the result was always on his racquet. Coric was maybe OK at best, not as bad as he's been at times this year, but it was never going to be good enough against an opponent who simply wasn't missing or making many UEs.

This is why I was so disappointed by his early exit last week... I just knew it was only a matter of time before Coric got a bad draw and it cost him big time, which it did here as he drops out of the top 20 for the first time in a year. Still a couple of tourneys left to do some damage this season, but I'm not optimistic about his prospects.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Borna is out in the 1st Rd in Vienna. He lost to Kukushkin 6-4 6-4 :sad:

261 - 274 of 274 Posts