Mens Tennis Forums banner

241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Borna is back playing in St. Petersburg. I wonder how that will go?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Borna is back playing in St. Petersburg. I wonder how that will go?
He won his opening match (R2) against Fucsovics 6-7(5) 7-5 3-0 Ret. Didn't watch or follow as I had a bit of an emergency yesterday that completely distracted me from almost everything else. That included checking today's tourney schedule or buying mobile data so I could access the internet at work...

Anyway, glad Coric got through and hope he's ready for his first encounter against Ruud next.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
So why he is playing it? Maybe to test how his back is doing now?
Coric committed to the tourney before the USO, plus entering 250s as a high seed with a R1 bye equals free ranking points before even stepping on court. And yes, probably doesn't hurt to make sure he's physically OK before heading to Asia.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
This is what the schedule currently looks like after St. Petersburg (Coric's seed in parentheses):

23 Sep - Zhuhai 250 (4)
30 Sep - Tokyo 500 (4)
06 Oct - Shanghai 1000 (15)
21 Oct - Vienna 500 (7)
28 Oct - Paris-Bercy 1000 (15)

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
He won his opening match (R2) against Fucsovics 6-7(5) 7-5 3-0 Ret. Didn't watch or follow as I had a bit of an emergency yesterday that completely distracted me from almost everything else. That included checking today's tourney schedule or buying mobile data so I could access the internet at work...

Anyway, glad Coric got through and hope he's ready for his first encounter against Ruud next.
Coric committed to the tourney before the USO, plus entering 250s as a high seed with a R1 bye equals free ranking points before even stepping on court. And yes, probably doesn't hurt to make sure he's physically OK before heading to Asia.
I hope things are fine with you now. I also didn't see the match, but glad that Borna won :) I can see your point about the ranking points (no pun intended!). I wonder how his back felt? Also what would have been yet another complete 3 set match had not Fucsovics retired. Borna really needs to start winning matches in straight sets. It would be a lot easier on his body. BTW thanks for posting his schedule information here.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Coric came back from a set and break down to defeat Ruud 3-6 7-5 6-3. Missed most of the match as I was once again preoccupied by non-tennis matters, but tuned in just after he got the decisive break of serve in the middle of the third set.

He looked good to me in those last few games (especially the BH) but the match stats at the end indicate it wasn't particularly high in quality overall - 29/45 W/UE count vs 14/41 for his opponent. Sousa or Kukushkin will be tough to beat in the SF, I'm sure he has to improve for that to happen.

I hope things are fine with you now.
Thanks, they're much better now :) Still keeping an eye on the situation but the worst seems to be past.

I wonder how his back felt? Also what would have been yet another complete 3 set match had not Fucsovics retired. Borna really needs to start winning matches in straight sets. It would be a lot easier on his body.
Totally agreed about needing to win more matches quickly, although I think Coric can be excused this week based on the quality of his opponents and being fresh off an injury layoff. Don't know about the back (serve seemed OK) but I noticed he had tape running down his right calf.

BTW thanks for posting his schedule information here.
You're welcome - I've been scouring tournament entry lists throughout the year trying to figure out his schedule and figured I may as well post my findings here for once. Will be interesting to see how Coric performs without Piatti & Co. the rest of the season, though he's still working with Veic.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Yet another 3 set match, but he did defeat Ruud. For some reason I can't find this tournament on the Tennis Channel. They have been showing WTA and as of today the Laver Cup.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Coric beat Sousa 3-6 7-6(5) 6-1 to advance to the F tomorrow against (most likely) Medvedev or Gerasimov. I watched most of tbe match but honestly, I'm a bit worn out by the rollercoaster of yet another 3-setter and don't have much to write about this one that I haven't before.

Things did get testy in the third set after momentum had completely swung the winner's way, with both players exchanging words :shout: Didn't catch the full gist but Coric accused Sousa of trying to break his rhythm. The handshake was understandably cold, especially compared to yesterday with Ruud.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Coric beat Sousa 3-6 7-6(5) 6-1 to advance to the F tomorrow against (most likely) Medvedev or Gerasimov. I watched most of tbe match but honestly, I'm a bit worn out by the rollercoaster of yet another 3-setter and don't have much to write about this one that I haven't before.
Things did get testy in the third set after momentum had completely swung the winner's way, with both players exchanging words :shout: Didn't catch the full gist but Coric accused Sousa of trying to break his rhythm.
I watched the whole match and can't say Borna's play was satisfying... Too many errors, Sibur Arena had to put up with endless cries, hit in rage balls, slamming rackets (of course with a warning for breaking a racket)... And it was overturned in the third set when Joao started to release his negative emotions...
Well, the era of 3-setters is not over yet and this is not what a fan would like and enjoy watching :|

The handshake was understandably cold, especially compared to yesterday with Ruud.
Interesting, I am eager to know more :laugh2:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Well, the era of 3-setters is not over yet and this is not what a fan would like and enjoy watching :|
Agreed - I'm no longer impressed by how many he's winning when, truth be told, at least half of those matches should never have reached a decider.

Interesting, I am eager to know more :laugh2:
After their direct confrontation when Coric got the second break in the final set, I expected a cold handshake and that's what happened at the end. Nothing very dramatic, just minimal hand contact without looking or speaking to each other.

·
Registered
13,682 Posts

Things did get testy in the third set after momentum had completely swung the winner's way, with both players exchanging words :shout: Didn't catch the full gist but Coric accused Sousa of trying to break his rhythm. The handshake was understandably cold, especially compared to yesterday with Ruud.
no no thats not true, didnt happen

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
no no thats not true, didnt happen
I didn't hear much of the argument but that one bit stood out clearly to me. Why would I claim it happened if it didn't? I was watching a commentary-less and ad-free stream, maybe other feeds didn't air that bit as it was during the changeover a little while after Coric had broken Sousa again.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
A win, but yet another 3 set win :rolleyes: I guess a win is a win, but I can't see him getting by Medvedev like that!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
A win, but yet another 3 set win :rolleyes: I guess a win is a win, but >I can't see him getting by Medvedev like that!
I don't know... Medvedev is the favourite based on recent form, but Coric leads the H2H. Aside from that terrible match at Wimbledon last year that's still scarred on my memory, he's had little trouble beating the Russian in his three tour victories over him (not counting the NextGen meeting that he also won).

Not a big sample size but Coric seems to have a knack for frustrating Med with his speed and ability to retrieve balls. He'll need to be sharp on serve though; that's one area I think the top seed has improved a lot this year, so Coric can't afford to slip up as he won't get many chances to break.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
So much for my attempt at optimism :eek: Medvedev routined Coric in the St. Petersburg final 6-3 6-1. Serve turned out to be critical as I suspected, with Coric struggling to hold while his opponent cruised without facing a single BP. A few interesting rallies but it was pretty much one-way traffic throughout.

Still, there are a couple of positives this week for Coric: he reached his first final of the year and didn't have to pull out due to injury. He's got a decent draw in Zhuhai, where he should get a minimum of two or three matches under his belt in preparation for Tokyo and Shanghai.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
So much for my attempt at optimism :eek: Medvedev routined Coric in the St. Petersburg final 6-3 6-1. Serve turned out to be critical as I suspected, with Coric struggling to hold while his opponent cruised without facing a single BP. A few interesting rallies but it was pretty much one-way traffic throughout.

Still, there are a couple of positives this week for Coric: he reached his first final of the year and didn't have to pull out due to injury. He's got a decent draw in Zhuhai, where he should get a minimum of two or three matches under his belt in preparation for Tokyo and Shanghai.
I on the other hand expected the "routined" sorry to say. I agree with you about those positives for the week.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts