Mens Tennis Forums banner

221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Hey folks :wavey:

Needed a break from tennis (and MTF) after Wimbledon and only caught the first few games of the decider in Coric's Umag match - enough for me to know the eventual outcome :sad: Since then I've also had some device problems that have kept me from posting here as frequently.

Last week I saw most of his Montreal encounter against Gojowczyk and, although he eventually won, I wasn't optimistic about further progress in the tournament. Missed the Mannarino match but, from the scoreline, it was just as well :bolt:

Last night (this morning, actually) I got up at a godforsaken hour to watch Coric against Opelka, tuning in just in time to see him get the crucial break :) If the first set was promising, however, the second was discouraging as his regular demon this season reared its ugly head...

A costly lapse in his first service game of the second set - after 100% 1st serve points won in the opener - effectively gifted the break to Opelka. This followed Coric missing several BP chances in the previous game.

From then on he was clearly rattled while his opponent exuded calm and confidence, a complete reversal from the conclusion of the first set. This carried over into the third set as Coric twice went down 2 BPs before recovering to hold.

Hopefully the overnight break will do him good and he resumes the match refreshed and composed. He has the lead and is already a point up on Opelka's serve, so best case scenario is Coric striking early and possibly avoiding yet another deciding TB.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hey folks :wavey:

Needed a break from tennis (and MTF) after Wimbledon and only caught the first few games of the decider in Coric's Umag match - enough for me to know the eventual outcome :sad: Since then I've also had some device problems that have kept me from posting here as frequently.

Last week I saw most of his Montreal encounter against Gojowczyk and, although he eventually won, I wasn't optimistic about further progress in the tournament. Missed the Mannarino match but, from the scoreline, it was just as well :bolt:

Last night (this morning, actually) I got up at a godforsaken hour to watch Coric against Opelka, tuning in just in time to see him get the crucial break :) If the first set was promising, however, the second was discouraging as his regular demon this season reared its ugly head...

A costly lapse in his first service game of the second set - after 100% 1st serve points won in the opener - effectively gifted the break to Opelka. This followed Coric missing several BP chances in the previous game.

From then on he was clearly rattled while his opponent exuded calm and confidence, a complete reversal from the conclusion of the first set. This carried over into the third set as Coric twice went down 2 BPs before recovering to hold.

Hopefully the overnight break will do him good and he resumes the match refreshed and composed. He has the lead and is already a point up on Opelka's serve, so best case scenario is Coric striking early and possibly avoiding yet another deciding TB.
Welcome back!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Another disappointing end :tears:

Coric got tight serving at 5-5 and made a horrible miss on BP to lose the game. Opelka then proceeded to serve out the match 7-5 in the third. I know he can be a tough opponent, though I'd never really watched him before, but the American was there for the taking at several points in this match... Coric just couldn't do it and, worse, crumbled under the pressure - even being bested in crucial rallies.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Coric just won his US Open R1 match against Donskoy...

In straight sets...

Including a bagel.

My mind is blown. Is it still 2019?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Seriously though, this 7-6(7) 6-3 6-0 victory is just what the doctor ordered. Coric was composed and solid throughout, especially in the first set where it got tight for a bit - like down 0:30 serving for the TB, where he then faced a couple of SPs if I'm not mistaken. Not the absolute best he's played, even in 2019, but miles better than we've been accustomed to of late :)

Didn't want to get ahead of myself before, considering the year he's had so far, but Coric has a real chance to get his season back on track here. He got a good draw that's even better now Raonic has pulled out. An out of form Dimitrov next round and perhaps Jarry after that are IMO the main threats to a potential R4 meeting with Nishikori.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Looks like he's finally healthy and pain free, I watched the whole match and didn't see him popping the pills like he usually does. He does look a bit rusty but draw looks good so hopefully he can build his form here.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
After a straight set win Borna Coric has withdrawn due to a low back strain :banghead:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Sad news, but Borna’s health is way more important and what we all desire.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
After a straight set win Borna Coric has withdrawn due to a low back strain :banghead:
I'm in complete and utter ruins, especially after how well he played in his first match :sobbing:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I'm in complete and utter ruins, especially after how well he played in his first match :sobbing:
I'm right there with you :sad:
Hey, that means he’ll be back playing even better instead of worsening the injury and maintaining recovery till the next season (or more).

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Hey, that means he’ll be back playing even better instead of worsening the injury and maintaining recovery till the next season (or more).
That's being very positive and I hope you are right!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I know that's true objectively, but I was selfishly looking forward to Coric playing Dimitrov on a show court after that promising first round. The Wimbledon withdrawal was not so disappointing as it was obvious he was hurt going in... Doesn't help that some other faves of mine also went out of the USO early :sad:

I agree it's the best decision for his health in the medium/long term, just upset over the bad timing.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
I know that's true objectively, but I was selfishly looking forward to Coric playing Dimitrov on a show court after that promising first round. The Wimbledon withdrawal was not so disappointing as it was obvious he was hurt going in... Doesn't help that some other faves of mine also went out of the USO early :sad:

I agree it's the best decision for his health in the medium/long term, just upset over the bad timing.
It doesn't seem like Borna has any good timing any more. I'm frustrated so I'm sure he must be as well.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Borna announced that he has split with the Piatti camp, in other words, his whole team: coach, physio, and fitness trainer. Borna's coaching situation went through a lot of churn prior to his relatively long stretch with Piatti & Co. Granted, he has struggled recently, but I can't say I'm happy about yet another coaching change.

Borna didn't mention anything about a new team. Whether he's just not saying yet or he's going coach-less (and team-less) for a while, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Wow, that was unexpected to me. But it’s a good time to be in search for a new coach since Borna is undertaking recovery from his trauma and doesn’t have to fly over the continents playing tournaments.
So good luck to Borna to find a couch who will make him stronger :)

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Borna announced that he has split with the Piatti camp, in other words, his whole team: coach, physio, and fitness trainer. Borna's coaching situation went through a lot of churn prior to his relatively long stretch with Piatti & Co. Granted, he has struggled recently, but I can't say I'm happy about yet another coaching change.

Borna didn't mention anything about a new team. Whether he's just not saying yet or he's going coach-less (and team-less) for a while, I don't know.
Maybe a change will do him good :shrug: Actually I'm more interested in a physio than a coach because Borna's body is just not holding up well at all :sad:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Borna announced that he has split with the Piatti camp, in other words, his whole team: coach, physio, and fitness trainer.
This is the full text from his tweet:

I noticed Veic is not included in the goodbyes. Not sure if he was officially part of the Piatti setup or just filling in for Schneider.

Borna's coaching situation went through a lot of churn prior to his relatively long stretch with Piatti & Co. Granted, he has struggled recently, but I can't say I'm happy about yet another coaching change.
Me neither... I suspected it was coming but not quite this soon. Wonder if Coric was starting to lose faith in Piatti's attacking ethos or, as another GM poster suggested, felt stifled by his coach's instruction to tone down his emotions on court :unsure:

Wow, that was unexpected to me. But it’s a good time to be in search for a new coach since Borna is undertaking recovery from his trauma and doesn’t have to fly over the continents playing tournaments.
I don't know about that, the second-last sentence of his announcement indicates Coric plans on returning to action fairly soon :tennis:

221 - 240 of 274 Posts