Mens Tennis Forums banner

Coric in 2019

11K views 273 replies 13 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
I wanted to start this thread so posting could be put here instead of in the thread named Borna Coric since it is getting long for one thread.

#2 ·
Coric is already in Melbourne prepping for the AO:

Probably no real need to play a warmup tourney, especially given how late the season ended for him, so I hope plenty of practice plus the odd exhibition match are enough to get him that elusive first win Down Under.

#11 ·

Coric is scheduled to face Alex Zverev in the first Adelaide exhibition match on Monday 7 Jan. at 6:30 pm local time (08:00 UTC).

Seems he's also going to play on Tuesday against Fernando Verdasco, being the only ATP player listed on Team Cash. Looks odd to me as Zverev and Verdasco (Team Leconte) each play just the once :scratch: I don't normally follow exhos so I'm unaware if this kind of thing happens often or not... Maybe the WTC couldn't get another player and Coric is OK with the extra match :shrug:

#16 · (Edited)
Really glad he got his first ever AO win :) In fact, going through his past results, Coric had an awful (winless?) record in Aus/NZ going into this tourney.

He faces Fucsovics next, who will be a trickier opponent and one he hasn't faced before, but I think Coric should be able to win the match fairly comfortably.

#22 ·
Borna defeated Filip 2:6 6:3 6:4 6:3.
The first set was painful to watch for me. It was obvious for me that Borna had got an injury and was going to retire soon. But fortunately, the physio showed up just before serving for the match.

#25 ·
What happened in the 1st set Borna himself called "weird". I was very pleased to hear "I mean there was nothing wrong with me" :banana:

P.S. Sorry, I couldn't get rid of that Youtube view frame, but this way we are able to feast our eyes on Borna :wink2:

#26 ·
What happened in the 1st set Borna himself called "weird". I was very pleased to hear "I mean there was nothing wrong with me" :banana: P.S. Sorry, I couldn't get rid of that Youtube view frame, but this way we are able to feast our eyes on Borna :wink2:
Nothing wrong with looking at Borna at all :wink2: I'm just glad to hear that there was no health issue :) It seems to me that there has been a lot of "weird" matches at the AO this year!

#28 ·
It's been a long break for Coric since the AO, but he returns to competitive action tomorrow in Marseille as the No. 2 seed :)

Hope he's match-fit as he'll face local wild card Ugo Humbert, who's been on a great run these last few months and beat Gulbis in straight sets earlier today.

#35 ·
Yes, a tough result :tears:

This was what I feared would happen when I saw Coric had such a long layoff from the AO: he'd come into a tournament undercooked and fail to hit the ground running.

Silver lining (for me, anyway) is that he lost to another young and very likeable player in Humbert.

#38 ·

Coric talks a bit about his season so far and the preparation for it, prior to this year's Dubai tournament.

I knew the DC final affected his preseason training but he also says he fell sick, which is why he's had such a light schedule to start the year (in order to squeeze in more time on the practice courts).

#41 ·
Lowkey glad Kukushkin pulled out, their H2H was 0-3 and he just made a final. Should have a way bigger chance to win against Vesely :)
I'm more happy than that :lol: I too had him down as a big threat to Coric advancing from the early rounds.

At the same time I don't want to look past Berdych (assuming he wins), or even Vesely as qualifiers seem to be doing rather well in Dubai so far... Coric himself has experience of going unexpectedly far in a tournament as a LL so I trust he won't underestimate his opponent here.

#53 ·
That second set did not go according to plan :sad:

Coric was broken from 40-15 up in his first service game, after cruising on serve up to that point. At least he saved another BP later to avoid going down a double break.

Much like Ivashka in the previous match, though, Vesely now looks like he has belief when he didn't before. Coric needs to rediscover his first serve soon - it let him down just as he seemed to be finding his groundies.

#57 ·
Coric's serve deserted him after the first set, when he didn't face a single BP (maybe not even a deuce). He struggled mightily to hold most of his service games after that, particularly game 1 of the decider where he faced 5 nonconsecutive BPs I think :help:

#56 ·
Wow what a match! Berdych next who also didn’t play too well, they already play tomorrow so I assume both of them will be really tired after their long first rounds. Let’s hope Borna can get another win!

#61 ·
I believe these were the two longest matches of the opening round: Berdych won in 2h30m while Coric took almost 2h50m to finish. The scorelines are also similar, only the Czech was serving first at the start while our man was second - otherwise they could have been identical.

Berdych was also shaky at similar points in the match, though his serve held up better I'd say - plus he has a little more recovery time. I hope Coric is fit and ready for tonight: he's yet to beat his opponent but they last played in 2016 and a lot has changed since then for him, mostly for the better.

While I didn't notice any glaring physical issues, it does look to me like Coric has perhaps lost some weight? Otherwise, I'm wary of diagnosing health problems by sight alone without other confirmation. For now, I'm putting his current form down to lack of ideal preseason preparation plus inadequate match fitness.

#59 ·
I can't tell it's relatable to set 1. But further on...
Hopefully Borna is able to maintain the yesterday's first set level tonight otherwise he's doomed to pack bags :scared:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.