Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start this thread so posting could be put here instead of in the thread named Borna Coric since it is getting long for one thread.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Coric is already in Melbourne prepping for the AO:

Probably no real need to play a warmup tourney, especially given how late the season ended for him, so I hope plenty of practice plus the odd exhibition match are enough to get him that elusive first win Down Under.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
@NDee thanks for the re-direction. I didn't see the new Coric thread.

I was wondering why he wasnt playing in Brisbane or Sydney. Probably a good move, focus on the AO

·
Registered
13,707 Posts
I have many expectations on Coric for 2019. I think he has optimized his game. He is so solid... But so unstable in big event.
How is he unstable in big events?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have many expectations on Coric for 2019. I think he has optimized his game. He is so solid... But so unstable in big event.
How is he unstable in big events?
Unstable, I mean, no big performance in GS. He was great in M1000 yeah. But very frustrating because he has a huge game. A little bit like Medvedev who is great in 250 or 500 but transparent in GS.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Do you mean GS? Cause ATP1000s look like his tier, he is probably very concentrating on them :) The Masters events are places where he gets rid of almost all of his problems, especially the mental ones, which snow from him at the lower-tier tournaments.

But we will hardly see much of it this season if Borna is going to ignore most of ATP250.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

Coric is scheduled to face Alex Zverev in the first Adelaide exhibition match on Monday 7 Jan. at 6:30 pm local time (08:00 UTC).

Seems he's also going to play on Tuesday against Fernando Verdasco, being the only ATP player listed on Team Cash. Looks odd to me as Zverev and Verdasco (Team Leconte) each play just the once :scratch: I don't normally follow exhos so I'm unaware if this kind of thing happens often or not... Maybe the WTC couldn't get another player and Coric is OK with the extra match :shrug:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Unstable, I mean, no big performance in GS. He was great in M1000 yeah. But very frustrating because he has a huge game. A little bit like Medvedev who is great in 250 or 500 but transparent in GS.
Coric has now completed a year with his current team, which I'm sure everyone can agree has generally been a success. Before that, however, there were many coaching changes along with some injury problems that contributed to his unsteady progress and poor slam performances.

Now that his health and training situation has stabilised, I am confident we will see better results from Coric at top tier events, including slams. First step is to win a men's singles match at the AO, of course, which he has never done before.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Coric has now completed a year with his current team, which I'm sure everyone can agree has generally been a success. Before that, however, there were many coaching changes along with some injury problems that contributed to his unsteady progress and poor slam performances.

Now that his health and training situation has stabilised, I am confident we will see better results from Coric at top tier events, including slams. First step is to win a men's singles match at the AO, of course, which he has never done before.
I don’t know if he is ok with his injury of end of the 2018 season. I hope he will make a great run in GS.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Borna in his 1st Rd defeats Steve Darcis in straight sets at the AO
Really glad he got his first ever AO win :) In fact, going through his past results, Coric had an awful (winless?) record in Aus/NZ going into this tourney.

He faces Fucsovics next, who will be a trickier opponent and one he hasn't faced before, but I think Coric should be able to win the match fairly comfortably.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really glad he got his first ever AO win :) In fact, going through his past results, Coric had an awful (winless?) record in Aus/NZ going into this tourney.

He faces Fucsovics next, who will be a trickier opponent and one he hasn't faced before, but I think Coric should be able to win the match fairly comfortably.
Gee I didn't know he had been so bad in Aus/NZ. I hope he can get more wins now at the AO :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
On his Twitter, Borna posted: "Only 1,457 days after my first try, I made it to the 2R of the Australian Open."

Gotta love his perseverance, and his self-deprecating humor.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On his Twitter, Borna posted: "Only 1,457 days after my first try, I made it to the 2R of the Australian Open."

Gotta love his perseverance, and his self-deprecating humor.
It gets even better as he has now won his 2nd Rd match against Fucsovics in straight sets!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Gee I didn't know he had been so bad in Aus/NZ.
Before this year, Coric had a 0-4 record at the AO and was 0-1 at both Auckland and Sydney. Not a big sample size of course, but something that could start creeping into a player's mind, I suspect.

I hope he can get more wins now at the AO :)
He has a kind draw that's been helped even more by Thiem's exit so, barring any unexpected disaster, he's not done winning here just yet :angel:

1 - 20 of 274 Posts