Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gasquet Please beat Ginepri, I'd love nothing more than to see the grinding, crafty and speedy Guillermo play Gasquet. It's time that some new talent manifest itself and actually have an influence on the outcome of titles.

I'd like to see:

Coria or Gasquet against Federer in the USO Final. That would be very nice. I feel like Roger is losing credit by beating the same players over and over, in the history books, it would look much better if he were to beat a young player filled with potential than to beat someone 35 years old ... we all know that if Agassi beat him it'd be the greatest feat ever (according to americans atleast), but if he beat Agassi ... the Anti-Federer would mob the scene "wow, beating a washed up and exhausted 35 year old ... what an accomplishment "

I feel like they are handicapping him, you know, Roger cannot control who wins or loses what ... to beat Coria or Gasquet would look nice in the record books ... this post sounds a bit premature because Nalbandian lurks and even Hewitt (the way Fedex has played, he would not beat Hewitt) ... just saying that the same faces always popping up are starting to bore me ... hopefully young talent will prevail ...

Federer V Gasquet - For USO Final.

Imagine that ...

Has a nice ring to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
thing is, fed will get shot down by critics more if he played someone who doesn't have much GS experience in the final.

get it?
 

·
_._._._._._
Joined
·
72,524 Posts
Federer's going to win the final easily whoever he plays unfortunately. Much to the detriment of mens tennis. Only an inspired Agassi could give him any trouble. Or possibly Blake if he's majorly hot like he was against Nadal. Highly unlikely though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
myskinaLova said:
... this post sounds a bit premature because Nalbandian lurks and even Hewitt (the way Fedex has played, he would not beat Hewitt)
God, how tired am I hearing people say all year that Fed hasn't been playing well here, hasn't been playing well there. He hasn't dropped a set yet in the tournament and his last two opponents have played pretty much as well as they can. He's had a lot more winners than errors in all of his matches as well. What the hell does he have to do to be playing well?? 1-1-1 in all of his matches?? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
i think blake's dream run would put him in the finals, but will lose to fed.

that's my prediction.

thing is, if it's an agassi-coria semi, i don't think andre would have anymore left in his tank. coria's known for those delicate drop shots that tires agassi out (last time they played was in rome).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
First Federer has to make the finals. He doesn't have an easy draw, Kiefer has caused him some troubles this year, although it's 3-0 in Roger's favour and Nalbandian everyone knows he is one of the few that owned Roger 'til recently. Hewitt is no piece of cake and there's always a possibility of playing a fired-up Verdasco and Hrbaty too is a threat.

Roger is the favorite and I believe he'll win the US Open, but let's not get carried away like this. I'd love if Coria or Gasquet makes the USO finals, they'd shut up a LOT of people, but Agassi still is the most likely choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
adee-gee said:
Federer's going to win the final easily whoever he plays unfortunately. Much to the detriment of mens tennis. Only an inspired Agassi could give him any trouble. Or possibly Blake if he's majorly hot like he was against Nadal. Highly unlikely though.
:p Crush em all Fed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,549 Posts
lucashg said:
First Federer has to make the finals. He doesn't have an easy draw, Kiefer has caused him some troubles this year, although it's 3-0 in Roger's favour and Nalbandian everyone knows he is one of the few that owned Roger 'til recently. Hewitt is no piece of cake and there's always a possibility of playing a fired-up Verdasco and Hrbaty too is a threat.

Roger is the favorite and I believe he'll win the US Open, but let's not get carried away like this. I'd love if Coria or Gasquet makes the USO finals, they'd shut up a LOT of people, but Agassi still is the most likely choice.
good post:bigclap:
i think federer is going to have it difficult this time to get in the final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
lucashg said:
Roger is the favorite and I believe he'll win the US Open, but let's not get carried away like this. I'd love if Coria or Gasquet makes the USO finals, they'd shut up a LOT of people, but Agassi still is the most likely choice.
I agree... I think it would be great for tennis to see Gasquet in the final or a guy like Blake. But Agassi is definitely the most likely. Blake could certainly beat him but will need to play amazing once again. Coria has never beaten Agassi on hard courts and has never really troubled him except on the clay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
oneandonlyhsn said:
:p Crush em all Fed
With Fed tennis gets a bit too mucjh predictable. I hope Marat gets his knee healthy and gets his confidence back. But honestly even inspired Andre will suffer from Fed. It's a hard reality :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
adee-gee said:
Federer's going to win the final easily whoever he plays unfortunately. Much to the detriment of mens tennis. Only an inspired Agassi could give him any trouble. Or possibly Blake if he's majorly hot like he was against Nadal. Highly unlikely though.
if gasquet was fit ,he could give a few(not many but a few) problems to rodger, i think :)
mark my words,in the upcoming years,federer will not have it as easy as now and the reason won t be roddick,hewitt,safin or even nadal but gasquet :cool:

this guy is on the verge to become the real deal,still a few things to fix and he'll be great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
if it's a coria-agassi semi and if agassi wins it, he'll have nothing left for the final considering how much running agassi had to do to play coria in their last meetings

that's how it happened in 2002 when he had to beat hewitt in the semis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
richie21 said:
if gasquet was fit ,he could give a few(not many but a few) problems to rodger, i think :)
mark my words,in the upcoming years,federer will not have it as easy as now and the reason won t be roddick,hewitt,safin or even nadal but gasquet :cool:
True :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
FWIW, Agassi's been in 5 USO finals and went 2-3. All 3 losses were to Pete Sampras, one of the greatest in the game all time. He's 2-0 against those not named Pete Sampras in US Open finals. Also, Andre won every Grand Slam Final against someone who isn't Pete Sampras since the 1991 French Open Final loss to Courier.

Agassi has a puncher's chance if he gets to Sunday. He did take Fed to 5 last year.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roger The Great said:
God, how tired am I hearing people say all year that Fed hasn't been playing well here, hasn't been playing well there. He hasn't dropped a set yet in the tournament and his last two opponents have played pretty much as well as they can. He's had a lot more winners than errors in all of his matches as well. What the hell does he have to do to be playing well?? 1-1-1 in all of his matches?? :rolleyes:

Good point, but the problem is:

Many people weren't Federer supporters before he became the juggernaut that he is today.
I remember him, when he was human and played human on many occasions. I remember when Andy Roddick, was actually a challenge for him and now it seems as if Roddick is playing checkers, while Roger is playing Chess. This is Professional Tennis, anybody can be beat on any day. Roger is certainly not invincible.

1). I see Roger playing at a level far below his capability.
2). I see his opposition licking their lips, thinking he's ripe for the picking.

Nalbandian beats Roger because he doesn't fear him, Nalbandian remembers Fedex when he was human and has been injured for the last 2 years ... to Nalbandian Federer is just another player in the draw ... he can take Roger out ... I wouldn't even look past Kiefer at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,424 Posts
A Gasquet/Federer final would be muy fantastico. :D
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
How can anyone say that Fed wouldn't beat Hewitt? Roger owns Lleyton, and it's not as if Lleyton has been playing that well this tournament. A tough five setter against Dent, the match previous he had more UE's than winners. Of course anything can happen, but to say Lleyton would beat Roger because of the way Roger's been playing is :silly:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
myskinaLova said:
Good point, but the problem is:

Many people weren't Federer supporters before he became the juggernaut that he is today.
I remember him, when he was human and played human on many occasions. I remember when Andy Roddick, was actually a challenge for him and now it seems as if Roddick is playing checkers, while Roger is playing Chess. This is Professional Tennis, anybody can be beat on any day. Roger is certainly not invincible.

1). I see Roger playing at a level far below his capability.
2). I see his opposition licking their lips, thinking he's ripe for the picking.

Nalbandian beats Roger because he doesn't fear him, Nalbandian remembers Fedex when he was human and has been injured for the last 2 years ... to Nalbandian Federer is just another player in the draw ... he can take Roger out ... I wouldn't even look past Kiefer at this point.
I completely agree that Fed is not invincible and that you can't look past anyone left in this draw. Kiefer has been playing Fed tough of late and Nalbandian can be a threat (though he wasn't the last two times they played). However I still fail to see why people are saying Fed is playing far below his capability and isn't playing well. Again, he hasn't dropped a set, he's playing very clean tennis (approx. 2-1 winners-errors) and this is pretty much the norm for him for the first week of a slam. Why is he playing poor?? Because he's had a few tough sets??

And to say Lleyton would beat him right now is a little tough to believe. Lest we forget, Fed wasn't dominant for most of last year's Open and Hewitt hadn't dropped a single set going into the final. We know how that final went. Form can change from one match to the next and match-ups are different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
myskinaLova said:
we all know that if Agassi beat him it'd be the greatest feat ever (according to americans atleast), but if he beat Agassi ... the Anti-Federer would mob the scene "wow, beating a washed up and exhausted 35 year old ... what an accomplishment "
.

And you know why everyone will think that? Because it's true!


35.5 year-old Agassi with a bad back shouldn't even come close to taking a set from arguably the most talented player to ever pick up a racquet performing at his peak... let alone defeat him in Best-of-5.

I don't think Andre can beat Blake or Gasquet at this point. Unfortunately.
 

·
Comparisons are Odious
Joined
·
10,541 Posts
I'd also like to see Gasquet win, but I really do think he needs to work on his endurance.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top