Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... should they plan matches only on roofed Center Court and finish the whole thing next month ?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
They would rather torture the shit out of lower ranked players, with interruptions, early starts, rescheduling, than put more matches on Chatrier. Like it's a grass court, to be preserved... But they will have more room for manoeuvreing, with floodlights and roof. Don't wory, WTA will take care to fill that up with all matches going to 3 sets, and comebacks from 1-5*.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Looking at the weather, there won't be able to finish all the matches as scheduled in the next fifteen days. Looks like it was a bad idea to hold it now.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I'm surprised the matches start at 11 AM. Considering the early sunset compared the end of May (at 7:37 PM instead of 9:37 PM) you would think the best thing is to start at 10 AM. Are there still no floodlights on the outer courts?

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
justice for all
16,815 Posts
They would rather torture the shit out of lower ranked players, with interruptions, early starts, rescheduling, than put more matches on Chatrier. Like it's a grass court, to be preserved... But they will have more room for manoeuvreing, with floodlights and roof. Don't wory, WTA will take care to fill that up with all matches going to 3 sets, and comebacks from 1-5*.
And that's what pisses me off badly.
As if the top players didn't have the privileged treatment already...

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Seriously, you can at most put 2 more matches on Chatrier a day, what is that going to solve with 128 matches in R1?

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
And that's what pisses me off badly.
As if the top players didn't have the privileged treatment already...
I just really hope Monfils is out early & Thiem plays all his matches on Chatrier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Watching some of the matches on the outside courts is not fun, and the players aren‘t enjoying the conditions, too. They are apparently using slower balls as well. I live in Germany and we always stop playing outdoors this time of the year, but I couldn’t imagine competing for a big prize at 9 degrees. Now it was still a lot warmer a week ago, the weather at this time of the year is a bit unpredictable in Middle Europe. Philippe Chatrier still seems okay but those smaller courts, ouch.

·
justice for all
16,815 Posts
Looking at the weather, there won't be able to finish all the matches as scheduled in the next fifteen days. Looks like it was a bad idea to hold it now.
They gambled with the weather. Could have been two weeks of sunshine with 18-25 degress but will be two weeks of interuptted rain with 10-18 degrees.
Bad luck but on the other hand: was it better to cancel it altogather?
Now it’s easy to say but they should have played it in May as originally planned.

·
Rankings Master
16,063 Posts
They just had to play it, right? €€€ talks because hell, better play it in December rather than miss out on some nice money. We care about players' health, that is why it was important not to play in May, health is most important, so better play in freezing weather, oh wait...

·
Rankings Master
16,063 Posts
They gambled with the weather. Could have been two weeks of sunshine with 18-25 degress but will be two weeks of interuptted rain with 10-18 degrees.
Bad luck but on the other hand: was it better to cancel it altogather?
Now it’s easy to say but they should have played it in May as originally planned.
True, this was a gamble, a big one... but make no mistake, this tournament wasn't held for any other reason than €€€€€

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
"So much weather. There is going to be so much weather, you're going to be sick and tired. You are going to say, 'Please, please, Mr. Forget, we're sick and tired of weather, we can't take it anymore. Mr. Forget, it's too much' and I'll say no it isn't, we have to keep weather. We have to weather more."

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Why is this tournament even taking place at all, that's the question. Going to get very ugly for the lower-ranked players who have to play on those smaller courts and if this forecast is any indicator, the organizers are going to have a big problem with scheduling, but they asked for trouble holding the tournament at this time of the year.

Not to mention that most players will be so distracted with the conditions, the quality of matches is likely going to suffer.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,622 Posts
1 - 20 of 90 Posts