Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent Paris Masters 1000 spat between Rafael Nadal and Ubi Scanagatta, let's take a look at some other less publicized player/reporter confrontations that got somewhat tense...

All in this article.

I remember a few others, Hewitt was asked a dumb question in a press conference room which I can't remember and replied "That's why youre sitting there and I'm sitting here." Don't remember what the dumb question was.

Also in the Marcelo Rios book there is a story where Bud Collins asked Rios a question in Rome and Rios flat out said, "I will not answer a question from that man." It stemmed from some TV interview Collins did and he talked about Rios wasting his talent.

Anybody remember any other reporter vs player confrontations?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like the one at the US Open 2009 when Roddick was asked something about when an American woman would finally break through and Roddick tartly replied that he didn't see Serena and Venus going anywhere any time soon. (Can't find the clip alas.)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few players were sharper and wittier and funnier than Roddick in the press conference format.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The incidents where the reporter congratulates a player when they lose. That happened to Nadal, Berdych, and Mahut and probably others as well. Also when Kyrgios told the reporter “that’s 2 questions in a row wait your turn” 😂

·
justice for all
11,663 Posts
I think tennis needs more controversy. Some arrogant and silly journalists, as long as it's not the majority, would do just fine as well. Sadly most of them seem to be even bigger politicly correct whores than the players themselves.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tennis does need more controversy. 99% of press conferences are basic cliche conventions or underhand softball toss questions which the player doesn't even have to think to answer, they just talk on autopilot, as Sharapova once said.
The media is 90% left wing and they have to be, that's most likely why they were hired. As Suzanne Somers said, "If you praise or support Trump in Hollywood, it's career suicide." Same goes for the media.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another near confrontation that was averted deftly was when Tursunov wrote in his tales feature that Spadea traveled with blow up sex dolls. A reporter actually asked Spadea about this in Delray Beach and Spadea replied, "All my women are real."

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tennis does need more controversy. 99% of press conferences are basic cliche conventions or underhand softball toss questions which the player doesn't even have to think to answer, they just talk on autopilot, as Sharapova once said.
The media is 90% left wing and they have to be, that's most likely why they were hired. As Suzanne Somers said, "If you praise or support Trump in Hollywood, it's career suicide." Same goes for the media.
I literally couldn’t agree more

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think tennis needs more controversy. Some arrogant and silly journalists, as long as it's not the majority, would do just fine as well. Sadly most of them seem to be even bigger politicly correct whores than the players themselves.
The political correctness is so boring, especially when we hear a young player praising the big 3 as if I haven’t already heard that a million fuckin times. That’s why I love conferences from players like Kyrgios who actually say what they want instead of saying what he’s “supposed to say”.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The political correctness is so boring, especially when we hear a young player praising the big 3 as if I haven’t already heard that a million fuckin times. That’s why I love conferences from players like Kyrgios who actually say what they want instead of saying what he’s “supposed to say”.
You would have LOVED Marcelo Rios lol. Should read his book Marcelo Rios The Man We Barely Knew. This man was a walking talking controversy machine. You could not believe all the situations of controversy this character created. And the book probably only touches on the tip of the iceberg of Rios' controversies LOL

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rios makes Kyrgios look like a born again Christian, if you could believe that. Kyrgios is fantastic with all kids. Rios would not sign for a little girl who waited two hours to get his signature. And he did this to countless kids. Did worse too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You would have LOVED Marcelo Rios lol. Should read his book Marcelo Rios The Man We Barely Knew. This man was a walking talking controversy machine. You could not believe all the situations of controversy this character created. And the book probably only touches on the tip of the iceberg of Rios' controversies LOL
I haven’t seen too much of him but I saw some of the insane shots he hit throughout his career so I can probably call myself a fan of him

·
Registered
294 Posts
Rios makes Kyrgios look like a born again Christian, if you could believe that. Kyrgios is fantastic with all kids. Rios would not sign for a little girl who waited two hours to get his signature. And he did this to countless kids. Did worse too.
If he did that, that’s kinda sick and I won’t be a fan of him in that case

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kid gave him a pen to sign a card or something and Rios signed an X. He would do crazy stuff like that. Just hated to be bothered. But sometimes he would sign. A few people in the book said they got multiple autographs from Rios. He could be Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts