Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say athletes get fitter, stronger and develope better reflexes today. I want to give a few examples of the top players.

Current era

90's era

80's era

70's era

??? era

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
not sure what you are trying to suggest? Borg and Sampras had insane physiques and physical ability on the court

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Physiques really differ player to player and less from era to era (from 1990 on). The further back you go in time before the 90s, the less fitness was involved in all sports.. sports medicine is a relatively young science, as more money was funneled into all athletic competition it became more important for the increased longevity and consistency of those competing.

That said, since the early 1990s in tennis to today ..the actual physical characteristics of the players have varied greatly, as they should. Not all of the players have the same style of play or same game. A player like Agassi was less dependent on movement and on more bossing players around with his weight of shot and power. He then built a bigger upper body. Players like Nadal and Djokovic's games are built on running and outlasting opponents so they have an overall more slender lean physique.

Generally though, in this day and age all tennis players must commit to rigorous diet and fitness regimens to remain competitive and it has been this way for the last 20-25+ years.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
That's true. Nadull ruined tennis and turned it into physical competiton and gladiator fights.
Thank god there is a pure talent and Genius Federer who plays real tennis

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
That's true. Nadull ruined tennis and turned it into physical competiton and gladiator fights.
Thank god there is a pure talent and Genius Federer who plays real tennis
Look again at Fed's picture, but this time carefully - like muscles in his legs are not bulging?!
And that stretch, not very far off from Djokovic's.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with this either. They all look athletic. All those can be bodies capable of performing to their preferred max.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ok master yoda, djokovic is the GOAT.Fedal, sampras and agassi are mugs. Novak is love novak is life. All hail king novak. Long live king Novak. Tennis= Novak

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
something important to bear in mind is that in the past for certain eras, especially 70s/80s, when racket technology and string technology was older- the points and tennis in general were played much slower.

it was more about MOVEMENT. today that is the case too- but a lot of players will try and power there way around. in the 80s you needed to be extremely fast. hence the thin light on their feet players

and prior someone like Borg in the 70s was specifically successful BECAUSE he was so fast and so light. gotta consider the technology and these things when considering why the physiques were so different at different times.
today is power hence the change

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
...and this one should send you to multiple orgasm master yoda.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not sure what you are trying to suggest? Borg and Sampras had insane physiques and physical ability on the court
No doubt Sampras and Borg had insane physique, but nothing impressive compared to todays standards.

Ok master yoda, djokovic is the GOAT.Fedal, sampras and agassi are mugs. Novak is love novak is life. All hail king novak. Long live king Novak. Tennis= Novak
I'm more impressed with Federer, those muscle legs are huge.

something important to bear in mind is that in the past for certain eras, especially 70s/80s, when racket technology and string technology was older- the points and tennis in general were played much slower.

it was more about MOVEMENT. today that is the case too- but a lot of players will try and power there way around. in the 80s you needed to be extremely fast. hence the thin light on their feet players

and prior someone like Borg in the 70s was specifically successful BECAUSE he was so fast and so light. gotta consider the technology and these things when considering why the physiques were so different at different times.
today is power hence the change
Mountainslave are you by any chance saying Borg could outrun Nadal, Djokovic or Murray?

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's more for you master Yoda

Coric should switch to mma before its too late, will have more succes there.

...and this one should send you to multiple orgasm master yoda.

Just like I made a thread about Nadal being gay I will preserve this picture for distant future. I'm sure more evidence will pop out. I mean look at Coric's face, eyes closed wanted to fully enjoy that moment.

I wanted to post this one, but it seems like you edited your post seconds later.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
No doubt Sampras and Borg had insane physique, but nothing impressive compared to todays standards.
Which of today's players are more that much more impressive then? Djokovic is very cut, but not big. Nadal is the only one that kinda stands out with his muscle mass. Federer's legs look huge because of the timing as well - sure they're big but nothing all that special, you could make a picture like that of several players.

I'd say the current generation is a bit leaner on average probably, which is good I guess considering endurance (which is not necessarily correlated to leanness but let's generalize a bit here) is more important nowadays, to several players at least, when compared to the past.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Just like I made a thread about Nadal being gay.
Little too obsessed about players sexuality and physique master Yoda!?

As they say it takes one to know one.

[/IMG]

I will preserve this picture for distant future.
Is that what kids call it this days, "distant future"

I mean look at Coric's face, eyes closed wanted to fully enjoy that moment.
Dirty, perverted Yoda, do you know who's he with?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts