Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought of creating a thread to clarify certain aspects of tennis rules that are commonly mistaken. Feel free to contribute. I shall start with these three:

1) The server can only serve when the receiver is ready, not the other way round. It's just that receiver cannot blatantly abuse the pace of play if the server's pace is reasonable.

21. WHEN TO SERVE & RECEIVE
The server shall not serve until the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall
play to the reasonable pace of the server and shall be ready to receive within a
reasonable time of the server being ready.
2) It is a foot fault if a player starts his serving motion that crosses the imaginary extension of the center mark.

18. FOOT FAULT
During the service motion, the server shall not:
a. Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of the
feet are permitted; or
b. Touch the baseline or the court with either foot; or
c. Touch the area outside the imaginary extension of the sideline with either
foot; or
d. Touch the imaginary extension of the centre mark with either foot.
3) What is your ruling for this situation?

After the server has served a first service, the racket falls out of the server’s hand and touches the net before the ball has bounced. The ball that was served landed outside the service box. Is this a service fault, or does the server lose the point?

If you said the server lost the point, you are correct.

24. PLAYER LOSES POINT
The point is lost if:

g. The player or the racket, whether in the player’s hand or not, or anything which the player is wearing or carrying touches the net, net posts/singles sticks, cord or metal cable, strap or band, or the opponent’s court at any time while the ball is in play;

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
you may reach over the net if wind or spin carries the ball back over to your opponents side.

2) It is a foot fault if a player starts his serving motion that crosses the imaginary extension of the center mark.
what if the server elevates and extends his heel over the baseline plane (toe still planted behind baseline) during the service motion?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if the server elevates and extends his heel over the baseline plane (toe still planted behind baseline) during the service motion?
It is okay as long as you do not touch the baseline, since you're allowed to have one or both feet off the ground during the service. Though I have no idea what kind of serve that would be :lol:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
It is okay as long as you do not touch the baseline, since you're allowed to have one or both feet off the ground during the service. Though I have no idea what kind of serve that would be :lol:
thanks. i have a hitting partner with a pinpoint service motion and when he tosses the ball, his momentum/weight shifts his lead foot sideways and he noticed his heel often breaks the baseline plane. he asked me if it's a foot fault but i wasn't sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts