Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard countless commentators over the years tout running into the net as the missing piece to __ 's game.

"If he could only add that net game after hitting a good forehand... follow it in and get the put-away volley, this would take him to the next level"

Coming into the net is not like it used to be in the 80's and 90's ... players can curve the ball back in play or redirect the ball down the line with ease.... yet at the same time... is following that good shoot in, the difference between the top 50 player and a guy like Nadal or Djokovic?

If you look at Nadal and Djokovic, they are not serve and volley players , but (Don't quote me on this) they end up with high percentage of net points won. Nadal and Djokovic will follow a mid court ball into the net and typically get a good put-away volley...... if we disregard Djokosmash.

Federer is a little different , but his net game has won him countless games if we disregard the two best passing shot players in the history of the sport... (Djokovic , Nadal).

This , "Player __ comes into net , they will take their game to the next level!"

Is this true? Thiem, Nextgen , even GenUseless , is this the difference and what is holding them back or is coming into the net not as important as commentators make it.?.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
597 Posts
We saw how true this statement is when Shapo was goating from the net all tournament and got bounced out. The current tennis conditions are specifically set up to discriminate against serve volley players. A put away volley (best exhibited by Nadal) is a useful tool to have however. It is the cherry on the cake, not a meaningful part of the cake.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Since so much of the game is played from the baseline with extreme grips and huge swings, it’s difficult to transition to the volley grips and strokes. That’s one reason a lot of players use the swinging volley on floaters. It’s their natural stroke.

However, when you see players drill the ball deep into the corner, and know their opponents can only float it back, you wonder why they didn’t go in and knock off the easy volley. But net play is, to a large extent, based on confidence and most of these baseliners just don’t have it.

So my answer is that natural baseliners might win a few extra points going in, but they’ll probably lose just as many.

Added: With the speed, spin and accuracy that players have these days, net play has become low percentage tennis.

·
11,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We saw how true this statement is when Shapo was goating from the net all tournament and got bounced out. The current tennis conditions are specifically set up to discriminate against serve volley players. A put away volley (best exhibited by Nadal) is a useful tool to have however. It is the cherry on the cake, not a meaningful part of the cake.
Since so much of the game is played from the baseline with extreme grips and huge swings, it’s difficult to transition to the volley grips and strokes. That’s one reason a lot of players use the swinging volley on floaters. It’s their natural stroke.

However, when you see players drill the ball deep into the corner, and know their opponents can only float it back, you wonder why they didn’t go in and knock off the easy volley. But net play is, to a large extent, based on confidence and most of these baseliners just don’t have it.

So my answer is that natural baseliners might win a few extra points going in, but they’ll probably lose just as many.

Added: With the speed, spin and accuracy that players have these days, net play has become low percentage tennis.

I agree with both.

I think its a great tactic and can be very effective. One other thing noted is you have to have a natural talent for volleying. Volleying in my opinion is one of the harder things to do in tennis. There is so much that can go wrong with your feet , head and racquet placement. It is so easy to flub a ball into the net or hit it wide.

For example I consider myself a super tactician in tennis and will run into net and or charge it after a dropshot and or hitting a good lob or forehand.... but then I have to remember to get to net in time and split step and turn my body and decide between a slice volley or punch volley. Even then my angle can be off by centimetres / inches and it will sail in the alley and or land right in the middle of the court.

My opponent also has synthetic gut strings with RPM poly fiber strings and a Babolat racquet that will probably spin the ball in play. Unfortunately technology is the biggest detractor from net play. Courts too.... but most of the guys are quick enough and can get enough spin on the ball to make you miss. Even if they frame the ball it might go in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts