Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could you please rate this list of players.. or as many as you can, in terms of shot-making ability. If you could list them in terms of best to worst that would be great. Please take into account passing shots, shots that defied the logic of the time.. or just logic plain and simple... consistency of excellent shot-making.. overall wow factor. Also any extra descriptions of these players shot-making abilities would be appreciated.

Here is the list of players:

Laver
Connors
Borg
McEnroe
Vilas
Nastase
Agassi
Kuerten
Sampras
Nadal
Federer
Edberg
Rios

Ones list could look like such.. just an example (best to worst.

Agassi
Laver
Connors
Edberg
Nadal
Sampras
McEnroe
Vilas
Nastase
Rios
Federer
Borg
Kuerten

I appreciate there are many other great shot-makers but I didn't want to give a stupidly long list. Even if some could give me impressions of 3 or 4 of these in their opinions then that would be great. I am looking to some older members who have seen the players from older generations to make comparisons between their ability and the current crop of players.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Federer then everyone else.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Could you please rate this list of players.. or as many as you can, in terms of shot-making ability. If you could list them in terms of best to worst that would be great. Please take into account passing shots, shots that defied the logic of the time.. or just logic plain and simple... consistency of excellent shot-making.. overall wow factor. Also any extra descriptions of these players shot-making abilities would be appreciated.

Here is the list of players:

Laver
Connors
Borg
McEnroe
Vilas
Nastase
Agassi
Kuerten
Sampras
Nadal
Federer

Ones list could look like such.. just an example (best to worst.

Agassi
Laver
Connors
Nadal
Sampras
McEnroe
Vilas
Nastase
Federer
Borg
Kuerten

I appreciate there are many other great shot-makers but I didn't want to give a stupidly long list. Even if some could give me impressions of 3 or 4 of these in their opinions then that would be great. I am looking to some older members who have seen the players from older generations to make comparisons between their ability and the current crop of players.

Thank you :)
It's very difficult because Federer and Nadal work with a much superior racquet compared with everyone else. Those other players would have a very difficult time hitting a passing shot from 8 feet behind the basline and 8 inches from the turf. I guess what you can do is compare them relative to their own times, weight that, and then try to come up with a rubric that would work.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Glenn. My example was COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Can you give me some insight please into some of these players?
Oh, okay.
I thought you were serious there for a second.

Oxy, I think it's just too broad.
I wouldn't even know where to begin, especially since I haven't seen some of them play at all save a few clips of videos and photos from their playing days.
Maybe someone very knowledgeable (and not mean) like NYCtennis can help you out.

Just rating the players I feel like I've seen enough times of, I would go with

FEDERER
SAMPRAS
AGASSI
NADAL (still too young)
KUERTEN

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
It appears that Mr. NYC has already made his appearance while I was correcting my typos. :D

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's very difficult because Federer and Nadal work with a much superior racquet compared with everyone else. Those other players would have a very difficult time hitting a passing shot from 8 feet behind the basline and 8 inches from the turf. I guess what you can do is compare them relative to their own times, weight that, and then try to come up with a rubric that would work.
Well it may be difficult but could you give me your opinions given maybe the gap between those shotmakers compared to others of their respective eras. Be bold..?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Well it may be difficult but could you give me your opinions given maybe the gap between those shotmakers compared to others of their respective eras. Be bold..?
Are you writing a paper or something??

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Glenn. My example was COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Can you give me some insight please into some of these players?
I know, I just had to state it. :p

Laver
Connors
Borg
McEnroe
Vilas
Nastase
Agassi
Kuerten
Sampras
Nadal
Federer

From those I've seen...

McEnroe
Federer
Sampras
Kuerten
Agassi
Connors

It's difficult, 'cause what's "shotmaking" for you?

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rios and Edberg have been added.

Robinhood.. I am curious to know of these great players shot-making ability but also it will help me come up with some stats for some top trumps cards I am making.

Some descriptions though to go along with lists would really help to educate people such as myself among many others.

Glenn.. I suppose shot-making to me is the ability to win a rally outright that you had no right to win, whether that be an insane passing shot or an audacious lob or drop shot or a miraculous volley. Also, consistency is important. Some players might pull off some insane shots but are not consistently good shot-makers, where as some pull off very good shots match in, match out. However maybe some of those players who are consistent with good shot-making only have occasional moments of jaw dropping brilliance, where as others might do both consistently.

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
McEnroe came with some amazing volleys that you can't really do unless your touch is genius.
Federer we all know.
Sampras too could pull some winners, passing shots and serves (yeah, serving well is shotmaking) outta nowhere. 2nd serve aces were pretty common for the man.
Kuerten on clay, especially, was awesome. He'd come up with amazing dropshots, winners and a barrage of shots that made the opponent look like a windscreen wiper running from side to side. Down the line backhands outta nowhere also amazing.
Agassi, the returning machine could do some good winners especially taking the ball on the rise, but well, after he became "the pharmacist", I stopped caring about it.
Connors was like the Beta version of Agassi.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Yup, Fed is GOAT. Forgetting the racquet for a moment, in terms of best biomechanics of shotmaking, Federer is the best ever.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
McEnroe came with some amazing volleys that you can't really do unless your touch is genius.
Federer we all know.
Sampras too could pull some winners, passing shots and serves (yeah, serving well is shotmaking) outta nowhere. 2nd serve aces were pretty common for the man.
Kuerten on clay, especially, was awesome. He'd come up with amazing dropshots, winners and a barrage of shots that made the opponent look like a windscreen wiper running from side to side. Down the line backhands outta nowhere also amazing.
Agassi, the returning machine could do some good winners especially taking the ball on the rise, but well, after he became "the pharmacist", I stopped caring about it.
Connors was like the Beta version of Agassi.
Agreed.

FedFan_2007 .. do you have opinions on any of the other players in my list apart from Federer?

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
Yup, Fed is GOAT. Forgetting the racquet for a moment, in terms of best biomechanics of shotmaking, Federer is the best ever.
this is a thread for discussion, not dick sucking

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
this thread is really tough to judge...you will get different responses depending on what shots people classify as shot making. Mcenroe was not a shot maker off the ground but was perhaps the greatest at net. kuerten was a picasso on clay off the ground but on faster courts he didnt have the talent of a federer or agassi from the ground.

if you talk about overall shotmaking...then you are asking about who has the most complete game...thats federer.

Federer volleys very well...he just doesnt cover the net as well as pat rafter or a prime time henman/edberg. it doesnt help that you play in an era where everybody can pass and return like agassi or even better.

Edberg's fh was too horrible to warrant him a spot in this list.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts