Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Losses of our favourite players are painful. That's a no-brainer. But some losses are extremely heartbreaking, other less, some are actually acceptable.

I wonder if you could name 1 close (minimum 4 sets) slam match that your favourite player lost but you are actually OK with it. No regrets, no what ifs, no ruins left.

For me it would be Dominic losing to Rafa Nadal at the USO QF 2018 (in the 5th set TB no less - was 2 points away from victory). Now that he has finally won the USO I feel like that loss was a herald of the future glory and that this match was a proof that he can go toe to toe with the best on hard and would eventually win a big title. At that time he was probably still not ready not go all the way anyway.

For Roger I think AO 2005 SF loss vs Safin is the one I have come to terms with. Roger was a MP up in the 4th set TB but it felt like Safin (whom I liked a lot as well) was the deserving winner in the end.

For Stefanos it is RG R4 vs Stan - I just like both players so any outcome in that epic was fine by me.

For Stan it was obviously AO 2017 when he faced Roger in yet another a 5-set epic of these two Swiss legends.

·
9,527 Posts
Evans from MP up v Wawrinka in USO because Wawrinka won title. Good for Dan.

Roddick def Murray in Wimbledon SF. I knew Andy would win one but Roddick needed it.

Not ok with any of the others really

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Wimbledon 2008 final
USO 2009 final

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thiem Nadal AO 20

Probably also WB 18

Reactions: Hugo and guitarra

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
For Roger I think AO 2005 SF loss vs Safin is the one I have come to terms with. Roger was a MP up in the 4th set TB but it felt like Safin (whom I liked a lot as well) was the deserving winner in the end.
I remember that like it was yesterday - I was cheering for Safin. It always bothered me that Safin didn't achieve more. I remember often when I got a chance to watch him, l always thought (the eyeball test), this guy is the best player on the planet - why doesn't he win more!! At that time I wasn't a Roger fan - I had my usual aversion to 'dynasty' and media hyped type players or teams. It wasn't until after USO 2005 and Agassi fading from view that Roger pulled me in.

In hindsight, yea, it would have been nice for Roger to have one that one and be at 21!! But I miss 2005, when watching tennis wasn't about the Big 3 and slam counts etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For Rafa, and I add a non-slam match which I find pretty significant.

-Wimbledon 4R 17'
-Wimbledon SF 18'
Miami F 05'.

In Wimby he's found the path to overcome some problems and progress, and I'm really glad, despite being close but not cigar. I can't also find a real moment when you can say he chocked or got too nervous.

Edit: I was going to say AO F 12' but that was more hurtful despite being also probably meaningful in terms of progression.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Probably USO 2009. Sure, Federer basically pissed it away by refusing to change tactics, but after all the injuries JMDP went through, I'm really glad he ended up with a slam.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
There's really none I'd say I'm ok with. The closest I can think of would be the epic match Murray lost against Djokovic at AO in 2012 in 5 sets since we got another epic 5 set match in the final where Djokovic defeated Nadal.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Federer:
  • Safin AO 2005, same reasoning as the OP
  • Del Potro USO 2009, sucks that it cost Federer rather than anyone else but it's Delpo's only slam and he deserves one; same goes for IW 2018

Wimbledon 2014 I don't quite think was that close, would have been nice though had he managed the turnaround. USO 2019 against Dimitrov was also unneccessary but explicable. Fuck all the rest.

Wawrinka:
  • AO 2013 and USO 2013 vs. Djokovic because he got him back after that; AO 2015 was definitely unnecessary though
  • AO 2017 because it was against Federer and because of what happened after that

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually im ok With most of Nole’s losses to Nadal at RG (except 2013). they hurt a lot, but he is just superior, so...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm more ok with Nadal losing AO 2019 final because of this year's French.
Also, 2015 French Quarterfinal because Stan was sublime in that final.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Fortunately Novak didn't have many heartbreaking GS losses (compared to Fed for example). His only heartbreaking (and very close) loss I remember is RG'13 SF and I will never be ok with it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Interesting to see some mention USO 09 for Roger. That may be the loss that I'm least OK with! I'm not really OK with AO 05 either. As a Roger fan since 01, that was the first real epic in the late stages of a big tourney that I remember him blowing.

I'm OK with him losing the Wimbledon 14 final. Definitely not the better player that day and felt like he was using smoke and mirrors a bit to stay in it.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fortunately Novak didn't have many heartbreaking GS losses (compared to Fed for example). His only heartbreaking (and very close) loss I remember is RG'13 SF and I will never be ok with it.
How about:
2014 AO vs Stan?
2019 RG vs Dominic?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
How about:
2014 AO vs Stan?
2019 RG vs Dominic?
You are right, AO'14 was close but I didn't watch it live (which makes the perception weaker) plus he won a nailbitter one year earlier so it was kinda a revenge. As for RG 2019 I didn't have high hopes for the title due to the match dragging for 2 days and Nadal waiting in the final.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Although it always hurts to see Federer lose at Wimbledon, as it is the place where he wants to win most, I think the losses against Nadal in 2008 (because the latter really deserved it with an unreal performance and after two lost finals in 06/07) and against Djokovic 2014 (because there it was already a success to make the match tight) were ok. The Safin match at AO 2005 maybe as well. I disagree though with the match against Del Potro. Although I was fine with Del Potro winning, it was not ok for Federer to lose like he did.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts