Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:spit: I don't think Cliff has ever dissed anybody. He said he was very boring to watch and had no variety at all in his game :lol:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Re: Cliff disses Kenneth Carlsen

That was hilarious!!! Cliff unplugged...who would have thought it was possible?:D

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think the three guys (Cliff, PMac and Luke) are having too much fun.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I finally looked to see what kind of player Cliff was back in the day. Surprised at how average his record was.

·
Banned
7,774 Posts

Drysdale, PMAC, and Cahill were all mediocre players. They won a total of 8 tournaments combined

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts

Drysdale, PMAC, and Cahill were all mediocre players. They won a total of 8 tournaments combined
Shows you can be average in this world and still make it. :D

·
Registered
6,770 Posts

You can't dispute Cahill's qualifications as a coach though.

Poor Cliffy, resorting to this because his loverboy Safin went out early. :sad:

·
Registered
770 Posts

I have to say, I laughed hard at that. They were talking about Carlsen, his topsin and all that, and then Cliffy deadpans "He was so boring to watch...he was!" Hilarious. Completely out of nowhere. He just threw it out there like your crazy old uncle might do. :lol:

·
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA
9,981 Posts

Cliff was not his usual reserved self. Killer and PMac were also very informal, what with that trivia and all. I'm thinking they had a few mid-afternoon cocktails before the match.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Guys, just to clarify, they were not talking about Kenneth Carlsen. They were talking about Kent Carlsson. They were talking about an awesome clay-court player.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts

That was pretty funny, but he does have a point, doesn't he?

·
Registered
17,533 Posts

Cliff was definitely not a mediocre player. He won a doubles title at the USO, made the finals of the Open in singles and was a top player in the 60's and 70's. He had quite a good career, actually.
P-Mac and Cahill were both mediocre, I agree, but don't discredit what Cliff accomplished as a player.

Reactions: Verd

·
Registered
25 Posts

Just in case anyone doubts this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Carlsson. They mentioned great clay-court player. Carlsson had 9 clay-court titles, Carlsen had none (no finals even). Also even in the small wiki blurb it mentions his excessive topspin (which was the context in which they brought it up, making comparisons to Nadal).

·
Registered
475 Posts

Cliff was not his usual reserved self. Killer and PMac were also very informal, what with that trivia and all. I'm thinking they had a few mid-afternoon cocktails before the match.
Definitely. How about when PMac made fun of Cliff's memory or when they showed 'Cliffy' windsurfing? The 3 of them were having too much fun.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts

I am pretty sure they were talking about Kent Carlsson from the description of the forehand topspin.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

It's getting funny listening to them as the tournament progresses :p

"and you're nicknamed 'Killer'"
"fair point"

lol

·
Registered
5,572 Posts

Yep, i agree, he was probably talking about Kent Carlsson, not Kenneth Carlsen :lol:

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

I finally looked to see what kind of player Cliff was back in the day. Surprised at how average his record was.
Here's his final/title record

SINGLES CAREER TITLES (5): 1968--Gstaad; 1971--Miami WCT, Brussels; 1974--Miami WCT; 1978--Baltimore FINALIST (10): 1968--Hamburg; 1971--Louisville WCT, Boston WCT; 1972--Richmond WCT, Miami WCT, Las Vegas WCT, Alamo WCT; 1975--Houston; 1976--Barcelona WCT, Johannesburg WCT

DOUBLES CAREER TITLES (6): 1970--Gstaad; 1972--Cleveland WCT, US Open; 1975--Cincinnati, Montreal / Toronto; 1979--Dayton FINALIST (15): 1968--Los Angeles; 1970--Montreal / Toronto; 1971--Barcelona WCT; 1972--Vancouver WCT; 1973--Munich WCT; 1975--Las Vegas, San Antonio WCT, Memphis, Atlanta WCT, World Doubles WCT, Dallas WCT, Los Angeles; 1976--Washington WCT; 1979--Baltimore WCT, Rancho Mirage

1 - 20 of 24 Posts