Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think anyone really gives a lot of chance to Nadal in Miami and IW... Chances are Novak will sweep this.
But, the more important question is what'll happen this clay season.

Clay is the only thing that has put (and still keeps) Nadal in the "big 3" conversation.

Not that it'll make a huge difference - but I think Novak has set his sight on this (only and last) Rafa's claim...

I have a feeling that Rafa knows it and that he's not feeling very comfortable or confident about it.

If I'm right - Novak is about to make a "move away and step aside" statement to Rafa... Like, "yeah, you had your fun - let the grownups take it from here", kind of a thing. I'm looking forward to seeing their first match on clay :) And I hope for more than one :)
It'll be a blast.

I'll probably put some money on Novak (vs Rafa) during this clay season - I think it's a gimme.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
One would think after the beatdown at the ATP cup and Djokovic's form this season so far, Nadal will be even more stressed than normal to face Djokovic after NA hard court season ends.

That Djokovic added Monte Carlo to his schedule seems to be exactly that kind of statement you're referencing, OP: "Hey, you know that non mandatory propping up your masters record? Yeah...Imma take that from you."

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Hard to say at this point, but I'm really excited to see what the clay season brings. We only had one Djokodal match on clay last year, and although Nadal won it he clearly has issues with playing against Djokovic. Also, Novak was totally spent in that match after the battles against Del Potro and Schwartzman earlier in the tournament at Rome. Had he been more fresh maybe it could have gone differently.

Anyway, I won't go so far as to say that Djokovic would be the favorite to win on clay, especially at RG, but I imagine Djokovic is the last player in the world Nadal wants to see on the other side of the net during the clay season (and in general, probably). A lot will depend on the draws as well. Whoever gets Thiem in their half at RG is at a significant disadvantage if they have to play him in the SF, assuming they all get there.

Reactions: xcom

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Define dethroning.

Winning RG or winning 2 RGs? Winning 2 RGs in 2 years in a row would be considered dethroning. Rafa having just one bad day in RG in a year would not amount to dethroning as he has always come back to win RG the next year.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Well I think the oldest to win the FO in the Open Era (since 1968) was Andres Gimeno in 1972 at almost 35 years of age... Therefore Djokovic and Rafa are working against time, Rafa will be 34 when the FO is in play and Djokovic will have just recently turned 33!! I know Djokovic, Rafa (and Rogie too) are going down as the top 3 men tennis players of all time it appears, but even time will end up against them at the FO!!

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Well I think the oldest to win the FO in the Open Era (since 1968) was Andres Gimeno in 1972 at almost 35 years of age... Therefore Djokovic and Rafa are working against time, Rafa will be 34 when the FO is in play and Djokovic will have just recently turned 33!! I know Djokovic, Rafa (and Rogie too) are going down as the top 3 men tennis players of all time it appears, but even time will end up against them at the FO!!
Gimeno was 34 years and 301 days old when he won RG in 1972. Rafa will turn 35 during next year's RG. If Rafa wins 2021 RG, he will break Gimeno's record and become the oldest ever to win RG. I'm sure Rafa will break Gimeo's record at 35 or 36 or 37 or later.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Actually: oldest AO winner Rosewall 37 early 1972, FO winner Gimeno 34 almost 35 in 1972, W winner Rogie 35 in 2017, and USO Rosewall 35 in 1970!!

Rogie has so far won his last grand slam at age 36 (2918 AO), second oldest in the open era!!
Rafa 2019 USO age 33 and Djokovic 2020 AO age 32!!

My conlcusion: Rogie about out of time unfortunately and the other two don't have more than a couple of years left!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Actually: oldest AO winner Rosewall 37 early 1972, FO winner Gimeno 34 almost 35 in 1972, W winner Rogie 35 in 2017, and USO Rosewall 35 in 1970!!

Rogie has so far won his last grand slam at age 36 (2918 AO), second oldest in the open era!!

My conlcusion: Rogie about out of time unfortunately and the other two don't have more than a couple of years left!!
Thanks for the data. So relatively speaking, RO is young men's sport and AO is old men's sport.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts

To be precise, the oldest grand slam singles winners at each of the 4 grand slams in the open era were:

Australian Open: Ken Rosewall at 37 years 2 months 1 day in 1972
French Open: Andres Gimeno at 34 years 10 months 1 day in 1972
Wimbeldon: Roger Federer at 35 years 11 months 8 days in 2017
US Open: Ken Rosewall at 35 years 10 months 11 days in 1970

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't think anyone really gives a lot of chance to Nadal in Miami and IW... Chances are Novak will sweep this.

Clay is the only thing that has put (and still keeps) Nadal in the "big 3" conversation.

Not that it'll make a huge difference - but I think Novak has set his sight on this (only and last) Rafa's claim...

I have a feeling that Rafa knows it and that he's not feeling very comfortable or confident about it.

If I'm right - Novak is about to make a "move away and step aside" statement to Rafa... Like, "yeah, you had your fun - let the grownups take it from here", kind of a thing. I'm looking forward to seeing their first match on clay :) And I hope for more than one :)
It'll be a blast.

I'll probably put some money on Novak (vs Rafa) during this clay season - I think it's a gimme.

What do you guys think?
I did not know the US Open was played on clay..,

You know, that tiny little tournament in New York where Nadal has more titles than the supposed "grownup" Djokovic.

Fangirls crack me up...

Reactions: TheLastJedi

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Define dethroning.

Winning RG or winning 2 RGs? Winning 2 RGs in 2 years in a row would be considered dethroning. Rafa having just one bad day in RG in a year would not amount to dethroning as he has always come back to win RG the next year.
Well, Novak owns Rafa on grass (5:2)... Also, Novak owns Rafa on hard-courts (11:5 in Majors)...
In the recent years Novak's record against Rafa is about 14:4 or +10 or more
The only thing Rafa has left is clay.
I think Novak wants to play MC just so he could meet Rafa and show him (and the world) who's the boss.
Also, just to give him a nice little scare before RG.
I think that Rafa's little dirt-garden is about to be pillaged big time.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Rafa might very well win another Barcelona title, but at Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, and the FO, Djokovic will be there, plus even at Barcelona I think Thiem will be there, so between Djokovic and Thiem, Rafa better watch out!!

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not know the US Open was played on clay..,

You know, that tiny little tournament in New York where Nadal has more titles than the supposed "grownup" Djokovic.

Fangirls crack me up...
The "USO" argument Rafa fans use lately is just sheer desperation... Rafa has 4, Novak has 3...
However, the hard-court Majors titles are Novak 11 vs Rafa 5.

It's just obvious. The sky is blue, Novak owns Rafa on hard-courts, the earth is not flat...

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He can't even beat Thiem though.
I think he can... but he'll probably let Rafa deal with Thiem, and then give Rafa another lesson.

"...I have never seen someone playing at this level on Clay, and I have been following the sport for many years now... " (Rafael Nadal, June 7. 2020, after losing the final match to Novak Djokovic)

·
Registered
776 Posts

It'll be a blast.

What do you guys think?
Short answer. NO!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts