His schedule:
14.4: Valencia
21.4: AMS Monte-Carlo
28.4: Munich
5.5: AMS Rome?
12.5: Marrakech Challenger
19.5: Casablanca
26.5: French Open

He'll need to play the qualies of Rome and Hamburg, hence the question marks.
It's not sure he will enter the main draw of Monte-Carlo either, but I'm hoping for a WC there. I know he has gotten too many WC in his career, but this time he really deserves it coming back from injuries.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Valencia draw is coming out in a couple of hours and he hasn't pulled out yet. ^^
But he should have entered Estoril, Valencia is too strong and, more importantly, we get Estoril coverage on Eurosport, Gaëlou, bad choice!

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, he has a decent draw for a change:

Robredo Tommy (ESP) - Montanes Albert (ESP)
Q - Ventura Santiago (ESP)
Gonzalez Maximo (ARG) - Monfils Gael (FRA)
Bolelli Simone (ITA) - Starace Potito (ITA)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Gael has a nice draw hopefully he can take advantage.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He plays tomorrow already:

PISTA CENTRAL
Not before 1:00 PM
Maximo GONZALEZ (ARG) vs Gael MONFILS (FRA)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Now that Richard is in a slump, Jo injured and Paulo in his eternals abysses of doubts, I really hope that Gaelou can take that chance to have his share of love from the french tennis fans.

I have just seen one match from him this season (at Dubaï against Berdych), and I must say that he really tried to developp there a new style of tennis, more "vers l'avant", a more agressive style. If he can put everything together, I think it will be interesting to see what damage he can do in the future.
And I also think that he is our best chance of doing something great in Roland Garros : he has the guts, the style and the physique for it.

Allez Gaelou !

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I actually expect Richard and Paulo to bounce back (Richard because he has pretty much hit the bottom with that DC story and Paulo because I don't think it will affect him much). But there should be enough love from the French tennis fans for these guys AND Gaël if he does well.

He didn't get a wild-card for Monte-Carlo. :armed: He should have gone to the FFT instead of Lagardère, I'm sure it helps more to get WC. :p
He'll need 7 more withdrawals to enter the main draw, it will be close, Berdych, Tsonga with question mark, Roddick, Blake, Haas...
At least he has entered the qualifying list this time.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Starace will be tough today, he really spanked Bolelli yesterday. ^^

Pista 1 11.00 am
Yuri Schukin vs Robin Haase
Not Before 1.00 pm
Gael Monfils vs Potito Starace

·
Registered
504 Posts
He lost 7/5 6/1 :sad:

I have just followed it by the scorboard and it was a tight match despite the score. He was broken at the beginning of the first, managed to break back at 4/5 but was broken again the next game :sad:

Still I think it's a good thing for him to challenge some tough claycourter like Starace to gain some confidence for the rest of the season on clay.

Best luck next time Gaelou :wavey:

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hadn't even realized it was already over. That was quick in the 2nd set. :eek:
He'll have more time to get ready for the MC qualies now.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I wasn't expecting such a score:sad:

Oh and they could have given a wild card to Gael in Monte Carlo instead of Ascione. Iknow he's from Monaco now but still...

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe he won't need to play the qualies, after all, he just needs two more withdrawals and Roddick hasn't pulled out yet. I thought Haas might withdraw too since he rarely plays there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would only assume Haas will pull out, he looked really uncomfortable on clay, and in general against kunitsyn in Houston, even though the scoreline was pretty tight

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Good luck Gael.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts