Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Pretty similar I reckon. Prime Djokovic was very high level on clay, he just kept getting blocked by Nadal at RG.

·
Registered
17,773 Posts
Clay for sure.

Djok used to be known as being weak-ish on grass, couldnt move well on it.. on stilts.

Meanwhile made first slam QF at RG.

Always a natural.

Thats why: Djokovic has the exact same win-loss record at AO and RG if you exclude his matches against Nadal

Reactions: tribalfusion

·
9,527 Posts
His best surface is Tiled flooring from psych wards, he just doesnt know yet

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
He’s obviously had more success on grass, slam wins wise, but clay was more “natural” for him in the early years of his career. I feel he got better on grass over the years but declined on clay so it almost evens out. He’s more beatable on clay IMO, if only because there are fewer really good grass players

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
During his youth he was better on clay and later on developed his grass court game. His clay peak was really high but just not enough to dethrone rafa, the greatest clay courter ever(mostly in bo5) while his grass level was enough to win multiple wimbledons.
Since 2017 grass is clearly the preferred surface, novak struggles hitting through clay courts in his 30's while grass suits his game better.

Overall, I will say his best level is more dangerous on grass, but his clay level, during his prime was nothing to scoff at.

Reactions: Ilkae

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
In first part of his career (let's say until 2014-15) I would say clay was his second best surface after hard. His peak level there was so impressive, as seen in matches against prime Nadal. In last few years it's clearly grass, maybe even on par with HC.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
From 2015 and on he is definitely better on grass, no doubt about it, though admittedly it was reversed in his earlier days. Objectively his winning % on grass is higher though if you remove Nadal from the equation Djokovic's clay numbers would be improved. Still, on the whole, it has to be grass given the overall stats (about 85% win rate on grass to about 79% on clay), not to mention 5 Wimbledon titles to only 1 RG.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Djokovic and Federer are both just as good on clay as other surfaces. They both would have won at least 4 French Open titles if Nadal had chosen to play football.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
It's close. Even if he had won some of those RG he didn't win because of Nadal he would still have more Wimbledons. 5 to 1 is a big difference. The fact he has more Wimbledons than USOs is a bit of an anomaly, as he's definitely better on HC, but 5-1 is just too much of a difference to blame on other factors. Early in his career, he was better on clay but he improved a lot on grass, especially since 2014.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In first part of his career (let's say until 2014-15) I would say clay was his second best surface after hard. His peak level there was so impressive, as seen in matches against prime Nadal. In last few years it's clearly grass, maybe even on par with HC.
It's close. Even if he had won some of those RG he didn't win because of Nadal he would still have more Wimbledons. 5 to 1 is a big difference. The fact he has more Wimbledons than USOs is a bit of an anomaly, as he's definitely better on HC, but 5-1 is just too much of a difference to blame on other factors. Early in his career, he was better on clay but he improved a lot on grass, especially since 2014.
He is in not very great shape and also MOOD in last part of season I think. It why he have only 4(?) US!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
His base game is based on balance & movement which he’s learned to develop on Grass & WB while it was always naturally there on true HC’s like AO. His serve/return game also more effective on Grass than Clay.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Djokovic record at AO excluding matches vs Nadal: 73-8
Djokovic record at FO excluding matches vs Nadal: 73-8

Djokovic is an amazing clay player, making what Nadal did to him at RG (7-1) all the most impressive.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Makes it even more embarrassing how Federer is 1-3 vs him at Wimbledon.

Nadal was the same age @ RG 2020 as Federer was at WB 15. Nadal RG 2020 would have beaten Djokovic RG 15 easily

1 - 20 of 30 Posts