Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Re: "Clay courter" Coria defeats DC hard court king Henman in 1st rd of Cinnci

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah!

Oh I'm sorry... what's that you say? Coria can't win on hard? Oh oh oh, should have check his results from the past year people ;) (not directed at TF, directed at the general Coria detracting populous)

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts

So weird to be on the same side as Rebecca. ;)

I am thrilled about Coria beating Henman, but of course, it's not like Henman is a top tier player. I've seen Coria play hardcourt tennis and he isn't hopeless on it at all.

He got to the round of 16 at the AO, Indian Wells, and Miami this year. I'd like to see him improve that performance in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts

Indeed, Coria displayed great mastery of line calls in that match. If you can influence the officials at every other opportunity, what opponent isn't beatable on any surface? Henman isn't going to be sending a card to Norm Chryst come this Christmas, that's for sure.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Re: Re: "Clay courter" Coria defeats DC hard court king Henman in 1st rd of Cinnci

Sjengster said:
Indeed, Coria displayed great mastery of line calls in that match. If you can influence the officials at every other opportunity, what opponent isn't beatable on any surface? Henman isn't going to be sending a card to Norm Chryst come this Christmas, that's for sure.
lol... yes, I hear that Coria was particularly obnoxious this time around ;) Oh well... whatever wins you the match... think that Tim called up Gaudio to wait for Coria in the lockerroom after the match? ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Re: Re: "Clay courter" Coria defeats DC hard court king Henman in 1st rd of Cinnci

star said:
So weird to be on the same side as Rebecca. ;)

I am thrilled about Coria beating Henman, but of course, it's not like Henman is a top tier player. I've seen Coria play hardcourt tennis and he isn't hopeless on it at all.

He got to the round of 16 at the AO, Indian Wells, and Miami this year. I'd like to see him improve that performance in Cincinnati.
Beating Henman today is not quite what it was two years ago, true. But still... Henman was favoured by most to win this match, so I'm quite thrilled to see that Coria wasn't having any of it ;)

Hopefully he carries this on for a couple more rounds though, or all this gloating will be in vain!

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: Re:

Sjengster said:
Thankyou, my dislike for Coria just increased.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seeing that match hasn't done a lot for my opinion of Coria either - and I'm a fan.

He needs to watch himself. Like footballers who are known for 'diving' don't always get awarded penalties when they should, if he gets too bad a reputation for influencing calls he might find that umpires are less inclined to give him over-rules. He might miss out on the ones he actually deserves.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Re: Re: Re:

Leo said:
Thankyou, my dislike for Coria just increased.
tsk tsk, and you didn't even see the match! I assure you that if I had that I'd have given rave reviews about how Coria had mastered the art of bitching. I'd have buttered it up much better than Sjengster who had to go and put a negative spin on such a beautiful skill.

When people don't like something they go out of their way to focus on the negatives in order to reassure themselves that they were right in their judgements (and vice versa *ahem*);)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts

Kazandra said:
Seeing that match hasn't done a lot for my opinion of Coria either - and I'm a fan.

He needs to watch himself. Like footballers who are known for 'diving' don't always get awarded penalties when they should, if he gets too bad a reputation for influencing calls he might find that umpires are less inclined to give him over-rules. He might miss out on the ones he actually deserves.
I disagree that he needs to "watch it". It's that diehard, bitching attitude that wins him matches (his game helps too of course, but as you all know, tennis is as mental as it is physical). He's not a big guy, he's not going to outhit that many people, and he should utilize everything that he can do to give himself an edge over his opponents. He has spunk. Some like it, some don't. See Hewitt.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re:

Queen Rebecca said:
When people don't like something they go out of their way to focus on the negatives in order to reassure themselves that they were right in their judgements (and vice versa *ahem*);)
I don't disagree.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re:

Queen Rebecca said:
Otherwise known as Roddickism :devil:

Fooo, Coria-- I don't hate him, don't love 'im... but I find it amazing and :worship:able that he can sway line call decisions. No player seems to be good at that consistently. The ump usually makes them stop whining and fuck off. Very funny. I wish I could have seen more of his match then. The guy must come from a lawyer family or something. I have newfound admiration for him

·
Registered
28,276 Posts

Andre is pretty good at it, but Andre is a legend. Not sure what makes Coria so persuasive. He certainly isn't very intimidating looking.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts

Maybe he's just right.

:)

I love Coria, and the times I've seen him play he hasn't been complaining about linecalls. I've seen him look at the marks a lot on clay, and I've seen him look on hardcourt, but I've not seen him verbally complain.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Re: Re: Re:

Queen Rebecca said:
lol... yes, I hear that Coria was particularly obnoxious this time around ;) Oh well... whatever wins you the match... think that Tim called up Gaudio to wait for Coria in the lockerroom after the match? ;)
I like Coria, in fact he's one of my faves, but I fervently disagree with "whatever wins the match". I never could tolerate gamesmanship and I never will. Yes, tennis is mental as much as physical, but it doesn't have to be about mental games. If it comes to that, I'll stop watching it for sure.

Please, Guillermo, don't go down that road. It's ugly.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts

I happen to think that a professional athlete should be able to handle it if there opponent takes conveniently timed bathroom breaks, injury times out, or whatever the gamesmenship may be at that time. If they aren't strong enough to handle their opponent fluffing around, they have no business being there, let alone bitching about it.

Just my two cents ;)

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Re: Re:

Queen Rebecca said:
I happen to think that a professional athlete should be able to handle it if there opponent takes conveniently timed bathroom breaks, injury times out, or whatever the gamesmenship may be at that time. If they aren't strong enough to handle their opponent fluffing around, they have no business being there, let alone bitching about it.

Just my two cents ;)
Right, how do you handle this? You can't get a bad line call back. Sure, you can make sure it doesn't affect your game, but that point is gone for good. No amount of handling it will make it otherwise.

Yes, a professional athlete should be able to handle to handle gamesmanship, but no professional athlete should resort to gamesmanship in the first place. If they do, they lose my respect. No, it's not a big deal to anyone but me, but it IS a big deal to me. And to say that an athlete has no business competing in a sport if he can't stand bad sportsmanship is a bit much, if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts