Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, no new tennis for a long time.

The only thing left to do is argue about the progress of the virus or stalk the players on Instagram.

Or ... turn our attention to old tennis.

I propose a club that watches a classic match once a week and discusses it in a designated thread. Everybody is invited. The only condition is that the match be available online for free in its entirety, preferably on YouTube or some other easily and internationally accessible legal site.

With the indulgence of the moderators, the chat would take place in General Messages. But as soon as the tour starts up again, it would either finish or move to a different corner of the site.

Obviously most matches that are available online are relatively recent ones, but I think there are enough golden oldies out there to provide some variety.

The older the match, the more we would benefit from the experience and insights of older members of MTF.

Anyway, just floating the idea: In summary, one match a week. We watch, we analyse, we discuss.

Anyone interested?

If so, what classic match should we start with?

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
Fantastic idea. I have a few matches in mind. Will check later if they are available online and get back to you.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Fantastic idea, let's gather here (it is not a physical gathering so we should be fine!) till the tennis resumes, and talk about our beloved sport and the matches we witnessed. It will take some time for real tennis to return as it looks, would be nice to clear our mind from all the stress going on in the world.

thanks @The Federest for this cute and effective initiative.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Let's all remember classic animalistic war in 2009 in Madrid....What a war that was!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's all remember classic animalistic war in 2009 in Madrid....What a war that was!
I missed this match when it happened, so am doubly glad to start with this one.

Will wait to see if there are any other suggestions for week one...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
Entire matches aren't easy to come by but I'll scrounge around.
I'm sure tennistv has some classic matches, I guess the best that I will get out the subscription this year...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
How about this one?

I have always been amused by the fact Marat Safin lags in the H2H 7-2 against Santoro.

I think Santoro's match against Federer USO 2005 is also out there.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Entire matches aren't easy to come by but I'll scrounge around.
I'm sure tennistv has some classic matches, I guess the best that I will get out the subscription this year...

This user has quite a few from 90s WImbledon and US although more highlights and full matches spread out in day instalments.

Wimbledon 2008 final is obvious one to do again. Great idea from the OP for these long barren months ahead.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Just found Henman- Kuerten SF at Cinci in 2000 and Sampras Henman Queens final in 1999 as full matches on YT so yeah probably make sense to do a full list of all tennis matches available in full length online, comply it and then select on week by week basis or however we want to do it.

Decent amount out there if you type your favourite player growing up into YT. Sampras has loads from Wimbledon, US and other ATP tournaments.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
1975 AO final is available fully and nicely remastered, Newcombe def Connors 7-5 3-6 6-4 7-6(7). A very interesting match as an example of old slow grass (compared to Wimbledon's medium speed in normally cooler conditions), Newcombe's last surge and Connors's first disappointment after dominating 1974. It was amusing to see the difference in demeanor: Connors relaxed and jovial, Newcombe focused and serious, quite the opposite of what you'd expect. Connors was young and evidently felt on top of the world, not so fiery as we remember him; Newcombe was aging and reeling from the disappointment of the previous season as he didn't even get to Connors at WB/USO to contest the #1 ranking but lost to ancient Rosewall instead, who was promptly eradicated in both finals. It was largely the mental aspect that decided this close match in Newcombe's favour; I'm sure it's one of those annoying losses that hardened Jimbo in his later mean attitude - better be a mean winner than a nice loser. Also an astonishing example of the crowd directly influencing the match as they booed a dubious line call in Connors's favour so much that he gave in and double faulted deliberately to make up for it (his only DF of the match). That definitely messed with his concentration as he lost three more straight service points to get broken. Jimbo was still young and cheerful then, an older Connors would never think of giving his opponent a point to please the crowd. I won't analyse the entire match here so as not to spoil everything, but if you want a taste of what grasscourt tennis with wooden racquets was like, that's a no-brainer pick.

·
Your visions will happen
48,543 Posts
Rome 05 and Rome 06 of course

Deadliest best of 3 match of all time. Neither guy recovered for like a year after that match

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Modern tennis is what it is because of the Big 3, and MTF is what it is because of the tardwars. Therefore, it's objectively the best choice to discuss Big 3 history and their key matches more closely than usual.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having thought some more, here's what I propose:

For this first week, we decide on a match now and have the weekend to watch it. On Monday, the person who made the suggestion starts a thread, with a brief intro in the OP (the context of the match etc.)

I think we'll get through all the great suggestions so far, but just so that things don't get predictable (working through a list) I'll drop in a surprise match of my own choosing every so often.

For week one, it's only fair that because just1ce was first in with a suggestion, that we do the Rafa-Novak Madrid 2009 match.

So there we have it:

Next Monday (16 March) is the day of Classic Match Chat #1. And we can start watching now. Near the end of the week, we can discuss/ I will announce the next week's match.

As time goes on, we'll undoubtedly tweak the format.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would you be happy to create a thread for this on Monday?

It should have a title along the lines of Classic Match Chat #1 Rafa v Novak Madrid 2009.

If you could do an intro paragraph or two, that would be great.

If you don't want to, that's OK too. I'll open the thread instead.

Timezone wise, we can coordinate later.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW: The rationale for not just creating a thread right away, even though we've decided on the first match, is that people will inevitably start discussions ahead of the deadline. When the whole idea is to give people a chance to watch the match first and then discuss.

So the rule is: The next classic match thread should only be opened every Monday.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Would you be happy to create a thread for this on Monday?

It should have a title along the lines of Classic Match Chat #1 Rafa v Novak Madrid 2009.

If you could do an intro paragraph or two, that would be great.

If you don't want to, that's OK too. I'll open the thread instead.

Timezone wise, we can coordinate later.
Ok.Not so sure about intro,but i'll try

Reactions: The Federest
1 - 20 of 24 Posts