Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
which points mate? can you direct us the minute and the second? because this just starts from the beginning when clicked.
Looks like u watched on youtube itself(or in app) by clicking on tittle of the vid,cause for me time stamp works here(no matter which browser)

·
Registered
995 Posts
If Rios could get to N1 then Monfils could have grabbed that spot longer than him . IMO . Injuries aside let's say
Rios and Monfils had different games though. Rios was a crafty player whereas Monfils wins most of his matches through defense. Monfils can play some good offense but he tends to play from far behind the baseline and also struggles when people take his time away ala Djokovic. He’s also never made the quarters or better of Wimbledon so I just can really see how he would have success in the 90’s era other than on clay which is his best surface.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Rios and Monfils had different games though. Rios was a crafty player whereas Monfils wins most of his matches through defense. Monfils can play some good offense but he tends to play from far behind the baseline and also struggles when people take his time away ala Djokovic. He’s also never made the quarters or better of Wimbledon so I just can really see how he would have success in the 90’s era other than on clay which is his best surface.
Ok I see Im not saying they are similar , and perhaps sayin hed be no1 was an over reaction. but it's what I was saying about Monfils versatility being totally underrated. He can be crafty too, in on fire mode, heck I ve seen him turning into Nalbandoan mode and move you around and play with you whatever he wants. Ive seen on full attack mode, step up into the court with great abilities display. He has that double threat of a game outrageous athleticism for both defense and bold attacking with very good to great touch.

Allthat would have been a huge novelty for the 90s and who knows what would of happen...

The thing for me is he gets judged in contrast to his generation of legends who are the greatest players each at their stuff . And of course his breaking body is a downside too and his clwning around which now we may be finaly seeing " under control"

·
Registered
976 Posts
For the classic match choices, I'm going to rely mostly on the great suggestions that were made in the initial thread and also any new suggestions anyone would like to make.

But every so often, like today, I'm going to play a wild card ...

Next week's match is McEnroe vs. Borg, USO F 1980:

The quality of the videos is pretty decent and you can see the ball clearly at all times.

I've announced it earlier this week, because it's a long match. It'll give people more time to watch it.

I'll post the new thread on Monday.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
Quite a different era all up. Many balls Sampras left would be rather makeable today. And many balls Agassi didn't quite control well relatively speaking got picked on by Sampras; finding the same opportunities and subsequent execution may be trickier to conjure up today.

·
|
14,082 Posts
Quite a different era all up. Many balls Sampras left would be rather makeable today. And many balls Agassi didn't quite control well relatively speaking got picked on by Sampras; finding the same opportunities and subsequent execution may be trickier to conjure up today.
That's why Sampras struggled with Hewitt.
Hewitt's level of consistency and court coverage was a sneak preview of Rafa/Djokovic.
Hewitt of course lacks the power of Rafa/Djokovic, but he'd still be top 10 in today's game.

·
52,519 Posts
That's why Sampras struggled with Hewitt.
Hewitt's level of consistency and court coverage was a sneak preview of Rafa/Djokovic.
Hewitt of course lacks the power of Rafa/Djokovic, but he'd still be top 10 in today's game.
Yes, Agassi was a good striker of the ball but I never rated his defense that highly.

·
52,519 Posts
For the classic match choices, I'm going to rely mostly on the great suggestions that were made in the initial thread and also any new suggestions anyone would like to make.

But every so often, like today, I'm going to play a wild card ...

Next week's match is McEnroe vs. Borg, USO F 1980:

The quality of the videos is pretty decent and you can see the ball clearly at all times.

I've announced it earlier this week, because it's a long match. It'll give people more time to watch it.

I'll post the new thread on Monday.
oh not the Wimbledon one :p. The TB alone in that particular match was woooo, so many opportunities, and so many missed.

The two were fire and ice as some might say. I preferred Borg as he wasn't a temperamental hothead. Sometime we need to include Connors in the mix.

·
Registered
976 Posts
oh not the Wimbledon one :p. The TB alone in that particular match was woooo, so many opportunities, and so many missed.

The two were fire and ice as some might say. I preferred Borg as he wasn't a temperamental hothead. Sometime we need to include Connors in the mix.
I've often heard this one referred to as one of the greatest ever USO matches. But over here, all anyone remembers is the Wimbledon one.

So I'm intrigued ... am watching set 3 now. More fascinating than dramatic so far, although the momentum is shifting ...

Yes, Connors definitely at some stage. Maybe even the Connors vs McEnroe SF from this very tournament.

·
52,519 Posts
I've often heard this one referred to as one of the greatest ever USO matches. But over here, all anyone remembers is the Wimbledon one.

So I'm intrigued ... am watching set 3 now. More fascinating than dramatic so far, although the momentum is shifting ...

Yes, Connors definitely at some stage. Maybe even the Connors vs McEnroe SF from this very tournament.
The TB was funny because of all the set pts that came and went. Each definitely had chances, a mix of clutch and just falling a bit short of putting the point away.

Will definitely watch the US Open one when I have time.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts