Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, yes, I mean the 1991 encounter and not their SF epic the following year. This match is less dramatic, but is (IMO) of a higher quality.

Chang had beaten McEnroe in 5 sets in the previous round, and was coming to the net more. In this match, he looks a very complete player.

Edberg had had lots of bad years at the USO, with early exits. The holder of 2 AOs and two Wimbledon titles, he had never won the USO. (And in his only FO final, he lost against Chang in 1989.)

Going into this match, Edberg led the H2H 7:3. Chang is 19 years old, Edberg 25.

And tying in with last week, the coverage has Vitas Gerulaitas in the commentary booth.

A short match this week, which is deliberate: not all classics have to be 5-setters. This match features great tennis from both players.

Incidentally, 1991 was the year the 39-year-old Jimmy Connors went on his amazing run at the USO.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nice choice, I like Chang, his speed is immense, but I do wish Edberg had taken the French back in 89, should be a fun watch.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fun match this, with both players trying to reach a new level on HC.

A crucial win for Edberg en route to his maiden USO title.

A recurring battle was between Chang's topspin lobs and Edberg's overheads, making for a fascinating tactical encounter.

Nice point here (and nice camera-work too):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts