Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks very much to Break point Dom. for last week's match.

This week's match was suggested by Chelsea_Phil:

1977 was the Wimbledon centenary year, and this match was contested by two young players whose careers would have very different trajectories. Borg was the defending champion, having won his first Wimbledon the previous year.

I haven't seen this one yet, so will not say too much now. Looking forward to watching it over the week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had mentioned this when i recommended this match, in that it is interesting to see Vitas do his first serve toss with two tennis balls in his hand, real old school style.

He missed a lot of relatively easy high volleys in this match, and I wonder if that was one of his major weaknesses. Too bad he is mostly forgotten by tennis fans nowadays. Seemed like a nice guy.

·
Your visions will happen
47,291 Posts
Borg routinely went 5 sets at Wimbledon and though Vitas was all decade level in the match, you always felt Borg would find a way

One of the best matches of the 70's this one

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got too busy during the week to watch this one. Will catch up at a later date.

Anyway, the thread will remain open if anyone wants to comment on this match.

Thanks very much to Chelsea_Phil for the great suggestion.

Next week's match is Edberg vs. Chang, R4, USO 1991:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I remember an article i read eons ago, which stated that Andy Pattison (remember him?) was Borg’s kryptonite. I decided to check on their head-to/heads, and Andy only defeated Bjorn twice out of the eight times they played. While that is a bit surprising, I would not call that being ones kryptonite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts