Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
29,621 Posts
The match changed both their careers.

I mean Gasquet would have lost in the QF to Nadal nonetheless, but Murray had yet to make a GS QF and the idea of him being behind near enough all the youngsters he was compared with (Djokovic miles ahead, Baghdatis made a slam final, Gasquet and Monfils semi finals) so that game he broke Gasquet back serving for the match was the most important game of his career I would say.

Gasquet at the time had played very well at Wimbledon 2007 against Roddick in particular, and made the WTF that year, but a loss to Nadal who was at his peak form that summer would have been accepted. To lose from 7-5 6-3 *5-4 up to a guy he beat in the two previous matches and seemed to be ahead of up to that point, was a killer blow for him.

To Murray it led to a first win over Djokovic in the Canada QFs, a repeat win over him to win his first MS a week later at Cincy and the USO final. Both guys' paths were never the same again

·
Registered
275 Posts
"To Murray it led to a first win over Djokovic in the Canada QFs, a repeat win over him to win his first MS a week later at Cincy and the USO final. "

And 2nd MS in Madrid indoor, october

I would also say, imo, that he was the favorite of the Shanghai Masters Cup if he had used better group management.

Big fight to eliminate Federer .. but he sent ..Simon in semi to Djokovic.... easy.
While he was already qualified and 1st in his group ..

Down in semi, Davydenko beat him.

Djokovic was smarter, already qualified, he "eased off" in 3rd match vs JWT to keep energy and win his 1st Masters.

He leaves 2nd place to Federer for a few points, but ends the season with 2 Majors titles, his 1st GS and his 1st Masters.
Good deal.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts