Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you to @The Federest for letting me start one. I'm out for most of tomorrow so thought I'd put it on as early as possible.

It was an interesting time in Andy Murray's career. He'd announced his arrival in Tennis with his run to the third round against Nalbandian (lost from 2 sets up) at Wimbledon 2005. He then backed that up by reaching 4th round the following year.

However he annoyed plenty of people by jokingly saying he wanted anyone but England to win 2006 world cup so there was an air of negativity hanging over given he missed Wimbledon 2007 from injury. Listen in when Gasquet serves for the match in the third set. You can hear a fan saying along the lines of "do it for England Richard".

Press weren't convinced by him either at this point, he got plenty of criticism for losing to Tsonga in first round of AO 2008 so a good run was needed. Win got him his maiden QF slam appearance although Nadal comfortably took him out in the next round. Two months later however he reached the US open final.

Richard Gasquet. He'd memorably defeated Roddick from two sets down in the quarters of Wimbledon 2007 and of course had his own teen wonder years in 2005 reaching master finals as 18 year old. However he came into 2008 Wimbledon in uncertain form and first doubts in his career. Was still in the top 10 and above Murray in the rankings.

In the first two sets it was all clicking for Richard. Solid serving, backhand was doing its stuff and his FH was very strong aswell. Murray played awful service game at start of second (replicated by Gasquet at start of fourth where backhand went awol) and for last set Gasquet went awol due to the fading light, spraying errors and no answe to Murray's athleticism and lobs.

A very interesting mental match which sums up their careers. Also memorable for the Murray shot in the third set TB when he hit a pass from nearly the front row. Enjoy.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Great match mate.

The gun show celebration is iconic to this day. Young Gasquet was great to watch too

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Very enjoyable match. I'm halfway through set three and Murray has just saved four or five BPs in dramatic fashion.

At this stage, Gasquet is wholly dominant and looks rock-solid.

Regarding the "anyone but England" stuff: Sometimes we complain about tennis players being PR-bots, but it's things like this that explain why. Murray made one jokey off-the-cuff remark and he dealt with the consequences for years.

·
justice for all
13,370 Posts
Great choice. Very underrated match. Probably because it was „only” 4R. I’m not a fan but that was the one time I genuinely felt sorry for Gasquet. As for Murray - that was one of those pivotal matches that probably turned around his entire career.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great choice. Very underrated match. Probably because it was „only” 4R. I’m not a fan but that was the one time I genuinely felt sorry for Gasquet. As for Murray - that was one of those pivotal matches that probably turned around his entire career.
Murray-Wawrinka was an epic at the same stage the following year at Wimbledon, think it was the first one that finished under the roof on centre court. Amazing that there's isn't even five minute highlights of that around.

@The Federest I think the first two sets summed up Murray in his early years (and maybe even whole career). Couldn't get enough first serves in (had a terrible service game in his first in set 2) and then his concentration went right at the end of first set (similar to Fed semi final in 2015). However out of nowhere he returned incredibly well to break Gasquet for the first time when he served for it and after that he became very solid while Gasquet's level completely dropped.

·
justice for all
13,370 Posts
Murray-Wawrinka was an epic at the same stage the following year at Wimbledon, think it was the first one that finished under the roof on centre court. Amazing that there's isn't even five minute highlights of that around.

@The Federest I think the first two sets summed up Murray in his early years (and maybe even whole career). Couldn't get enough first serves in (had a terrible service game in his first in set 2) and then his concentration went right at the end of first set (similar to Fed semi final in 2015). However out of nowhere he returned incredibly well to break Gasquet for the first time when he served for it and after that he became very solid while Gasquet's level completely dropped.
Oh yeah, Andy - Stan WM 2009 was an awesome match too. Early shades of Stanimal vs GOATray under the roof and lights of Wimbledon Centre Court. Was rooting for Stan that day but Andy obviously earned and deserved his win. It's a shame really that there's no even short highlights of it available online.

·
The special one
14,167 Posts
Great match. Can't believe that was 12 years ago.

I think that match was a big breakthrough for him, he was having a pretty mediocre year up until that point but after Wimbledon he won two Masters, reached the USO final and basically went from a fringe top 10 player to breaking the top 4 in the space 4 months.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Watching the end of the third set, I felt a bit uncomfortable.

I like Murray a lot, but I didn't like his behaviour here. He was screaming across the net after winners, repeatedly geeing up the already raucous crowd, and even celebrated a Gasquet DF at break point.

Great match in any case, with wonderful drama and excitement.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Watching the end of the third set, I felt a bit uncomfortable.

I like Murray a lot, but I didn't like his behaviour here. He was screaming across the net after winners, repeatedly geeing up the already raucous crowd, and even celebrated a Gasquet DF at break point.

Great match in any case, with wonderful drama and excitement.
Was that the match where Andy Murray showed us his biceps at the end? One of the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen, if you exclude Ljubicic doing the same after making 3 unreturnable serves against Coria at Hamburg 2004.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts