Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Dafuq? I'm surprised a strong Fed fan doesn't know this.

You're the one with the YT channel, right?

Anyway, I remember there was a huge missed call in this match when an Agassi winner was called out.
No I dont have a Federer YT channel, I think youre thinking of maestro1990, but yeah I thought Roger had beaten Agassi before he won Wimbledon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
vs Hewitt, USO 2004
vs Blake, MC 2006
vs Delpo, AO 2009
vs Nadal, WTF 2011
vs Djokovic, Cincinnati 2012

This yep, but
vs Murray, WTF 2014 ,

Murray was already "sur les rotules, au bout du rouleau", out of range after his autumn forcing to qualify for the Masters. 23 matches between the US Open and the Masters ... Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai, Vienna, Valencia, Bercy... ouf

Notably his marathons in the final vs Robredo of Shenzen and Valencia, and against Ferrer in Vienna.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
That's not really true.

Some of Fed's most free-flowing tennis came at slams. Again, off the top of my head:

vs Roddick, W 2003
vs Hewitt, USO 2004
vs Bjorkman, W 2006
vs Roddick, AO 2007
vs Delpo, AO 2009
vs Djokovic, RG 2011
vs Murray, W 2015
Björkman :D

Roddick was terrible and invited the peaking by hitting him into a zone with his basic shots and terrible approaches made for a pass.

Agreed on the rest.

·
|
14,320 Posts
The tennis is fast and a little bit raw in places, but it displays the outstanding ability of both players. Hardcourt tennis as it should be: full of hazard and drama and pace and inspiration:
Hardcourt is always too predictable because of the consistent bounce and sure footing.
Clay/grass are significantly more exciting than hardcourt.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One aspect worth highlighting, because of the misconceptions that have grown up around Fed among younger tennis fans who never saw him in the first part of his career:

Agassi targets the Federer BH throughout the match (an obvious tactic against a single-hander with a big FH), and has some success in the first set, when Fed was generally leaking errors. But once Fed found his groove, his BH was rock-solid, and the variety it was capable of made things very difficult for Agassi. It's not easy to play against someone who can slice deep, do drop shots, do angled mid-court slices, hit solid topspin with depth, hit cleanly down the line, hit vicious topspin crosscourt winners, and do all these things at will.

Eventually, Nadal's freakish looping leftie topspin (combined with his all-round brilliance) would break down the Fed BH, but it has only ever been Rafa that could do this. For other players, going to the Fed BH was to get sucked into all kinds of variety and to start dancing to Fed's tune.

Tl;dr: The idea that Fed's BH was a liability is BS.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
One aspect worth highlighting, because of the misconceptions that have grown up around Fed among younger tennis fans who never saw him in the first part of his career:

Agassi targets the Federer BH throughout the match (an obvious tactic against a single-hander with a big FH), and has some success in the first set, when Fed was generally leaking errors. But once Fed found his groove, his BH was rock-solid, and the variety it was capable of made things very difficult for Agassi. It's not easy to play against someone who can slice deep, do drop shots, do angled mid-court slices, hit solid topspin with depth, hit cleanly down the line, hit vicious topspin crosscourt winners, and do all these things at will.

Eventually, Nadal's freakish looping leftie topspin (combined with his all-round brilliance) would break down the Fed BH, but it has only ever been Rafa that could do this. For other players, going to the Fed BH was to get sucked into all kinds of variety and to start dancing to Fed's tune.

Tl;dr: The idea that Fed's BH was a liability is BS.
Generally agree. I'd highlight the shorter angled slice (almost a drop shot) that spins off the court, which forces the player to either approach or drop shot Fred, because if you want to hit regular shot and get back to position, you'll get punished. This shot alone contributes to many embarrassing Rodduck's approaches (his body position really doesn't help), see Wimbledon 2009 final 3rd set tie breaker for example. It's just a really tough situation for a two-hand player; you can't get with both hands under the ball, so you're running forward and relying on your touch.

It worked sometimes even against Nadal (from memory ATP Finals in 2010, 3rd set break or the previous point, and AO 2017 final). This'd be my biggest gripe with Fred's strategy on return of 2nd serve, he'd just hit a bland slice in the middle of court, which gave Nadal the initiative. I'd really like somebody to analyse the break point opportunities for Fred in RG 2005-2007, I'm wondering how many of break points ended with the combination of "Nadal's serve AD wide, Fred hits a slice, Nadal hits a forehand".

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'd highlight the shorter angled slice (almost a drop shot) that spins off the court, which forces the player to either approach or drop shot Fred, because if you want to hit regular shot and get back to position, you'll get punished. This shot alone contributes to many embarrassing Rodduck's approaches (his body position really doesn't help), see Wimbledon 2009 final 3rd set tie breaker for example. It's just a really tough situation for a two-hand player; you can't get with both hands under the ball, so you're running forward and relying on your touch.
Is this the one you mean?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Having lost his break lead in the third, with the score 5:4, Fed recovers from the disappointment like a champ and plays this point:

Great variety on BH wing.

·
Super Moderator
8,223 Posts
And the match gets the rock 'n' roll ending it deserves:

I will never forget this time where I was an Agassifan back then as toddler who barely watched tennis. I mean the name Agassi sounded cool and I had to pick a player in my tennismaniac family. My mom who I consider one of the biggest Fedtards on this planet forced me to watch this match since she became very fond of the Swiss once he defeated her former idol Sampras on Centre Court. Watching that match on the small tv screen admittedly I was really impressed by Federer and even more so about that fh. Countless of times I tried to copy that very same cross court fh passing shot on mp when I hit the courts back then and I lost the count of all these fruitless attempts when I either shanked it, hit brutally my opponent (once even his eye in Goffin style) or missed that by millimetres.

Although my fh is beyond repair, this matchpoint is one of my all time favs I love to watch over and over which I can enjoy even more now as Fedtard.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts