Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In these dark times, for us, tennis lovers, we should stick together! So let's remember one of the most brutal BO3 matches ever...
Rafa, world number 1, after his tittles in MC,Barca and Rome, where he also defeated world number 3 Novak (Rome&MC), was going for his 4th tittle in a row.
But first, Rafa had to win that sf. And he did. But...

-What did it cost?
-Everything...

Full match Highlights:

Full 3rd set:

Match stats:

Little did we know that this is just rehearsal of A012 massacre...

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Great stuff, just1ce.

Thanks for kicking off the inaugural Classic Match Chat.

This was one of those matches, I feel, where a champion earns himself some breathing space. After this, it would be another two years before Novak would gain his first win on clay over Rafa (at the same event).

Nice to see that rawness in this match, both players trying to hit though the court on the forehand. Over time, their encounters would become more composed and tactical.

One thing that surprised me was how straightforward Novak's first serve was: pretty straight and hard down the middle a lot of the time. It was a high-quality weapon, but still many rungs below the serving variety he has today.

As a Fed fan, I note that the match set up one of Fed's precious few clay wins over Rafa. Watching the final, it's almost like looking at a different sport: short, punchy rallies, constant running around the backhand, serve-led points. It's no wonder the Big 3 have so rarely beaten the other two members back to back: it's a completely different challenge.

Anyway, first time I saw this match. Great choice, OP.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
for a 4 hour match 10 bp overall is quite strange actually.And especially only 2 for Rafa

But then again, Nole's lvl on serve was impressive. Rafa in the first tbh looked a little bit rusty + Nole pushed him so hard on return. Outstanding level by both. Among current young players only Thiem can show that level

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I dare say a pyrrhic victory, for Rafa

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,Novak did few passing shots like that with that type of bh backswing.

Also,Rafa's fhs at 5-6 and 6-7 in 3rd tb...God,Rafa's best clatch match ever,imo

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Great point here, finished with stunning backhand winner:

I remember the similarity between that shot, and one he hit 7 years later against Nadal, in Rome:

Pretty similar set-up as Nadal rifled a FH DTL which Novak retreated, to then hit the reaching almost behind himself BH CC super angle.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
dunno, but i think what nole was able to do back in '11 against rafa on clay was better. relentless pounding from his BH into rafas FH, over and over until it broke eventually.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
dunno, but i think what nole was able to do back in '11 against rafa on clay was better. relentless pounding from his BH into rafas FH, over and over until it broke eventually.
Ofc that was a better Nole. No one is claiming otherwise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It was another important close win for Nadal next to Rome 2006. as a Note/Roger fan, I would have liked to see those two go the other way, since that was young prime Nadal and the victory would have meant a whole lot under the circumstances back then.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,334 Posts
I've started a new job so I won't be able to watch it till later. Maybe on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Next week's match is Sampras vs Agassi, USO QF, 2001, as suggested by @guitarra.

Full match available here in decent quality of video:

New thread to be opened on Monday.

@guitarra: Would you be OK to open the new thread on Monday, using the same format as the first one? And maybe with a brief intro paragraph?

Thanks to @just1ce for getting the ball rolling with the very first Classic Match Chat.

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
Next week's match is Sampras vs Agassi, USO QF, 2001, as suggested by @guitarra.

Full match available here in decent quality of video:

New thread to be opened on Monday.

@guitarra: Would you be OK to open the new thread on Monday, using the same format as the first one? And maybe with a brief intro paragraph?

Thanks to @just1ce for getting the ball rolling with the very first Classic Match Chat.
Yes, sure. I'll try to create the thread by Monday morning.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,334 Posts
The first set and half didn't really interest me much.
It picked up nicely especially towards the end, you could see the intensity under pressure and fighting of fatigue.

Djokovic's net plays still a weakness here :p

You can see how both players have changed as well over the years. Some vintage stuff from both, but Djokovic's FH and serve are much better now than they were in 2009, with a bit more precision on BH as well (especially DTL, which could have been more effective perhaps).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts