Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank god we won’t have to see another bendover from Goffin to Djokovic.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Imagine if this guy wins the event. That would be my preferred outcome.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Good result for tennis , even though I like Goffin , we need (tennis crave) someone with actual power and attack to contend at the top , the young guns are defeintely not that type , except irregulars Shapo / FAA

·
Registered
769 Posts
Finally Top 30 debut for Struffi. FINALLY.
It only required him to amass 18 Top 30 wins during the current ranking period, including 10 Top 20 wins and 5 Top 10 wins.

·
Registered
16,192 Posts
Struff is a rapid fire ballbasher.

He can beat Djokovic, no lies.

Reactions: STUHL

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Struff beating De Minaur, Shapovalov and Goffin in a row can only happen in front of empty stands. This atmosphere allows him to play more freely.
Meh. He won his last match against Goffin and the last three against Shapovalov. The problem with all these players is not necessarily Struff, but their own insufficient consistency. On a not so good day they are vulnerable to all sorts of solid yet not great opponents.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Meh. He won his last match against Goffin and the last three against Shapovalov. The problem with all these players is not necessarily Struff, but their own insufficient consistency. On a not so good day they are vulnerable to all sorts of solid yet not great opponents.
Read what I said. I said he could win 1, maybe 2. But in a loud situation he would never win against those 3 in a row. De Minaur and Shapovalov feed off the crowd and it would've been a different match if the stands weren't empty. Plus if you're gonna talk about how he beat Goffin in their last match, why don't you talk about their other 4-5 matches, which were all won by Goffin?

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Read what I said. I said he could win 1, maybe 2. But in a loud situation he would never win against those 3 in a row. De Minaur and Shapovalov feed off the crowd and it would've been a different match if the stands weren't empty. Plus if you're gonna talk about how he beat Goffin in their last match, why don't you talk about their other 4-5 matches, which were all won by Goffin?
I don't get these absolutes. 1 or 2 is okay, but def. not 3? That makes no sense.
De Minaur and Shapovalov do feed off the crowd. But that alone can't guarantee them a win (not that the US crowd gives two rats about Alex to begin with). If Struff is in form and they are not, he's good enough to have the odds stacked for him. Each of these players has lost to opponents who were weaker than JL on multiple occasions.
Struff himself, otoh, has been showing a lot of progress in the past couple of seasons especially in the mental department. He used to be a terrible choker and perpetually mind blanked. Nowadays that still happens from time to time, but significantly less often. His stats (18 Top 30 wins during the current ranking period, including 10 Top 20 wins and 5 Top 10 wins - thanks @Lucas_4ever ) speak for themselves.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Struff beating De Minaur, Shapovalov and Goffin in a row can only happen in front of empty stands. This atmosphere allows him to play more freely.
I disagree but see you r point . I don't agree with the "can only happen" , he surely can , he's shown he's capable of it . He has the power for it . LAcks the mental fortitude to step up big time and be a contender , but just in patches . There's a potential still to step up IMO. To play freely and actually let his game flow for extended periods without pressure is the part I see you may be right . Let's see maybe he can learn from this no public meassure .

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I don't get these absolutes. 1 or 2 is okay, but def. not 3? That makes no sense.
De Minaur and Shapovalov do feed off the crowd. But that alone can't guarantee them a win (not that the US crowd gives two rats about Alex to begin with). If Struff is in form and they are not, he's good enough to have the odds stacked for him. Each of these players has lost to opponents who were weaker than JL on multiple occasions.
Struff himself, otoh, has been showing a lot of progress in the past couple of seasons especially in the mental department. He used to be a terrible choker and perpetually mind blanked. Nowadays that still happens from time to time, but significantly less often. His stats (18 Top 30 wins during the current ranking period, including 10 Top 20 wins and 5 Top 10 wins - thanks @Lucas_4ever ) speak for themselves.
It makes perfect sense if you try to understand what I'm saying. When there is crowd in the stands each match has a different feel to it, moods swing, momentum changes. With no crowd it's a practice session. Everyone and their mama on this forum knows Struff ain't beating these 3 in a row in a loud stadium. And I'm not saying Struff is a scrub, technically he is good enough to beat any of those 3, but he has a much better chance to do it in these quiet conditions.

·
Your visions will happen
48,541 Posts
He will have chances vs the Djoker

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
It makes perfect sense if you try to understand what I'm saying. When there is crowd in the stands each match has a different feel to it, moods swing, momentum changes. With no crowd it's a practice session. Everyone and their mama on this forum knows Struff ain't beating these 3 in a row in a loud stadium. And I'm not saying Struff is a scrub, technically he is good enough to beat any of those 3, but he has a much better chance to do it in these quiet conditions.
I am not sure what makes you think that loud stadium is what ticks him off. Does he have a history of caving in to partisan crowd I am not aware of? I don't remember anything of the like. I do remember him giving both Nadal and Djokovic a run for their money (kinda) not so long ago.

·
Registered
21,760 Posts
Struff is so talented it’s unreal. Struff for the title! It would be the best result for this tournament imho, Him or GOATn1c

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
Not surprised about this result, Goffin didn't even look good at the exho he played in the summer and it continues here.
Struff on the other hand, showed his maximum potential. At the other side of the draw he could have even reached the final with this form, end station follows next round though with this one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts