Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cilic's preparations for the upcoming US Open in New York were dealt a blow following his 6-3 6-3 defeat to 12th seed Shapovalov. With the ATP Tour back underway amid the coronavirus pandemic, Shapovalov got the better of Croatian star Cilic in 79 minutes. Shapovalov's last win prior to COVID-19 halting the season was against Cilic at the Open 13 Provence in Marseille, and he trumped the 2014 US Open champion again thanks to a dominant serving performance.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Denis looked good (although a lot of people reacted to his new Nike kit on YT) and as per usual hit plenty of stunning winners. Cilic seems to continue his downward spiral and was frankly outplayed. Could be that he's just rusty.

Shapo lost focus (also per usual) at the beginning of the 2nd set and started missing a lot of first serves. Cilic had break point but Denis saved himself Federer style with two aces just when he needed them and never looked back. Court looks fairly fast which is usually not ideal for Denis.

Struff up next which I fear will be a different deal altogether. Saw bits of his match against de Minaur and he looked very much in form and also seemed to really like the court conditions. Tough draw for Denis.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Cilic sudden decline will always be a mystery for me. It really came out of nowhere, after that Pella match
I'm starting to think that match caught him in a very bad way, just when he was starting to think of himself as champion material. As if he was a locomotive picking up steam, then got suddenly derailed and found himself unable to get back on track.

·
Banned
1,319 Posts
Cilic sudden decline will always be a mystery for me. It really came out of nowhere, after that Pella match
What match? Monte Carlo 2019 or ATP Cup this year?
Surely talking about blowing the 2-0 lead in sets against Pella while being seen as one of favourites for Wimbledon title.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If Shapo continues to serve like yesterday, he will be very, very dangerous. Very hard to break. Plus, he had great return, Cilic won only about 30% of his second serve points. Shapo was really punishing his weak 2nd serve.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Fine form from Shapo. Cilic struggles continue

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Well , IMO it can be explained through the "big 3 effect". In reality , Cilic is following a more natural course of decline begining at 30 y.o. or before . What the Fed , Nadal and Novak have been doing time and time again is just unnatural , (post 30 greatness) and we just expect everyone to be the same .

Reactions: Tuggy

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I thought Shap was superb. granted Cilic wasn't his best, but i think Shap had something to do with that. Virtually no overhitting, and serving like a genius, the way he mixed it up.

So so good. Maybe this is the start of his next breakthrough, well actually that started end of 2019, he was on the right track then, and now even more so.

Anyone know who the guy in his "box" was? It wasn't Youzny. His mom and girlfriend were also there.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I thought Shap was superb. granted Cilic wasn't his best, but i think Shap had something to do with that. Virtually no overhitting, and serving like a genius, the way he mixed it up.

So so good. Maybe this is the start of his next breakthrough, well actually that started end of 2019, he was on the right track then, and now even more so.

Anyone know who the guy in his "box" was? It wasn't Youzny. His mom and girlfriend were also there.
No idea. And his physio Stefano de Pirro who's usually always there was also missing.

·
justice for all
15,280 Posts
This surface seems to suit Denis pretty well. It’s an impressive comeback win vs an always dangerous active slam champ. Looking forward to his next match with Struff - should be winnable and a QF clash with you know who would be tasty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
QF clash with you know who would be tasty.
I don't wanna see that. :) A said that already at the topic about court speed.. Don't wanna watch another thriller like in ATP Cup, where Serbian crowd (at least once in his career) clearly helped Djokovic to win.

·
Registered
633 Posts
This surface seems to suit Denis pretty well. It’s an impressive comeback win vs an always dangerous active slam champ. Looking forward to his next match with Struff - should be winnable and a QF clash with you know who would be tasty.
Is it just me or is the surface quite fast? If Denis serves well a fast surface helps - not so much so during rallies. I have a bad feeling about Struff. He looked very impressive against Alex dM. But sure, it's certainly winnable.
Considering how Denis played against Djokovic in the ATP cup I'm really looking forward to that possibility.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Promising young player beats former champion who's ten years older.

Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Great start for denis, his serve was clicking and his baseline game was really good, if he keeps this level up he will be a very dangerous opponent to anyone.

Reactions: Denis denis
1 - 20 of 35 Posts