Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyrgios after being broken in the 3rd.

Of course there was no end to the whining in the GM thread as well because prince Nick couldn't be bothered to wait 9 minutes for Delpo to return from a toilet break and therefore throwing a tantrum was justified.

·
Registered
57,598 Posts
Del Potro gets no penalty for a nine minute bathroom break, after which Kyrgios is immediately broken after being unbroken all match. Kyrgios gets a penalty for getting angry about this. Great umpiring. What is the point of a shot clock when you just allow people to cheat by delaying the time that much between sets- which is probably more effective- instead?

Del Potro is such a vile character, unbelievable anyone still buys his nice guy routine after so many years of this BS. Anyone who condemns Nadal's gamesmanship and is a del Potro fan (which seems weirdly common) is a hypocrite.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
This match was a whole lot of serve botting, clowning around, trick shots, and no effort on ROS. Nick inevitably broke himself with a couple of DFs, and realizing he had no chance on DelPo's service game, proceeded to tank the 3rd set.

There's just no fight in Nick. He's in it for the $$$$$$. That's it.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Del Potro gets no penalty for a nine minute bathroom break, after which Kyrgios is immediately broken after being unbroken all match. Kyrgios gets a penalty for getting angry about this. Great umpiring. What is the point of a shot clock when you just allow people to cheat by delaying the time that much between sets- which is probably more effective- instead?

Del Potro is such a vile character, unbelievable anyone still buys his nice guy routine after so many years of this BS. Anyone who condemns Nadal's gamesmanship and is a del Potro fan (which seems weirdly common) is a hypocrite.
I still remmeber Delmugtro taking a 15-20 min break against RBA at AO. A 9 minute break is mild for him.

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts

He's allowed a toilet break. Just one so unless he took one earlier in the match he won't get a penalty.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

His gamesmanship is worse than Nadal. People bash Djokovic for his ball bouncing, which is annoying, but for me its involuntary. dont know why del Potro gets away with his antic from fake MTOs, long bathroom breaks and late challenges.

·
Registered
645 Posts
He's allowed a toilet break. Just one so unless he took one earlier in the match he won't get a penalty.
Do you think these people care about these facts? They just spout their nonsense all day long to here and every individual living in their own personal delusions. Sad to watch.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
glad Del Potro won, no excuse for Kyrgios doing his norm thing of tanking when things don't go his way. Poor attitude from Nick. What's sad is people would like to get behind him, but he self destructs. Nobody minds an aggressive or possibly obnoxious attitude if you're putting in a great effort and show. But if you combine a bad attitude with a bad EFFORT, that will get people against you in general. He should have the common sense to know that

bits I saw of that match were a bit serve-botty, I'll agree with some sentiments in the thread so far on that. Sort of like going through the motions with the occasional great winner (almost never after much of a rally though).

Nick looked a little slow today to me, not a particularly great sign when Del Potro of all people is ahead of you in rallies

·
Registered
492 Posts
I dont mind the bathroom break, I do think it definitely is gamesmanship but I find it to be an acceptable form of gamesmanship. The onus is on the other player to not be affected by it. Del Potro knows Nick has a reputation for being mentally unstable, why not use that against him. When Roger Federer took a suspect bathroom/injury timeout against Stan at the 2017 Australian Open, I looked at these breaks as fair game for all players. Both of these situations are similar, Roger knew Stan was starting to get on a roll and when that happens he's one of the most unplayable players on tour. Roger had to disrupt his rhythm. Here Del Potro sensed Nick was feeling good too so that Machiavellian break was a good call imo.
Anyways I like both Del Potro and Nick, would've liked the outcome if either player had gotten through this match.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Not pretty but still thanks for taking the trash out.

Is Krygios turning into a Isner servebot?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
His gamesmanship is worse than Nadal. People bash Djokovic for his ball bouncing, which is annoying, but for me its involuntary. dont know why del Potro gets away with his antic from fake MTOs, long bathroom breaks and late challenges.
If he can stop it now that there's a shot clock then it wasn't involuntary was it?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Best part of the match was at some point in the second when they were both cruising to service holds and Del Potro decided to imitate Kyrgios and do a biazzarely timed tweener (I think it was a tweener-lob attempt). It goes without saying it was uuuh... pretty badly executed! I think he'll leave Nick to them shots in the future haha

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I dont mind the bathroom break, I do think it definitely is gamesmanship but I find it to be an acceptable form of gamesmanship. The onus is on the other player to not be affected by it. Del Potro knows Nick has a reputation for being mentally unstable, why not use that against him. When Roger Federer took a suspect bathroom/injury timeout against Stan at the 2017 Australian Open, I looked at these breaks as fair game for all players. Both of these situations are similar, Roger knew Stan was starting to get on a roll and when that happens he's one of the most unplayable players on tour. Roger had to disrupt his rhythm. Here Del Potro sensed Nick was feeling good too so that Machiavellian break was a good call imo.
Anyways I like both Del Potro and Nick, would've liked the outcome if either player had gotten through this match.
Perhaps the bathroom break was needed because Kyrgios gave him the s....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts