Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit turbulent thanks to Kei's lousy serving today, including 5 DFs, but he was solid enough to unpack Rublev and show him that FH power spamming is not everything to the game. There was some gorgeous counterpunching shots that really frustrated Rublev, whenever Rublev went for a BHDTL or FHDTL, Kei often went right behind him a few times on the FH especially in the first set. The courts really are quick, nice to see good reflexive tennis. Rublev's serve was even worse than Kei's as the match wore on, and made too many errors off his weapon of choice.

Kei faces Wawrinka or Schwartzman next, no easy draw...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Nishikori played well for the first 6 games, after that the match was sort of poor. Rublev seems to be lacking confidence, gifted a crucial service game in both sets which decided the match.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Didn't see the match, how was Kei mentally? I mean Rublev is a good young player , so routining him is a good result I would think? I look forward to this stretch of the year, Kei can start finally climb up the rankings.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Nishikori played well for the first 6 games, after that the match was sort of poor. Rublev seems to be lacking confidence, gifted a crucial service game in both sets which decided the match.
That's really worrying to hear abou tKei, seems like that happened in Toronto too where he was amazing for the first few games then fell off a map. IT could also be seen as encouraging that he can still play high level tennis. I don't know if it's a fitness issue or strictly mental. Hope he can go on a deeper run here and gain some confidence back on outdoor HC.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really worrying to hear abou tKei, seems like that happened in Toronto too where he was amazing for the first few games then fell off a map. IT could also be seen as encouraging that he can still play high level tennis. I don't know if it's a fitness issue or strictly mental. Hope he can go on a deeper run here and gain some confidence back on outdoor HC.
Was difficult because he served poorly today, made more DFs than he needed therefore putting more pressure on himself. You'll kinda expect wobbles when his serve is missing half the time. That said the way he recovered from the*early break deficit in the second and rode momentum to the finish line was encouraging. Won't have much thinking time as plays Wawrinka next. Hopefully he practises some serve volley cod that could be helpful.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
This was a good win for Kei especially in straight sets, far from a given before the match started, Andrey Rublyov was hitting the ball well and I back him to win a slam in the next four or five years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts