Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Didn't see the match but only looked at the line score. Gojo was into Fed's service game's quite a bit in the 1st set. Then only 1 break in the 2nd set. Probably a rusty match for Federer.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
How was his movement?
Watched only here and there, but seemed not bad not good. Went after a few balls, but overall seemed to be opting for conserving energy. Rather quick affair overall. Fed's serve was the best part of his game. FH ok'ish. Overall somewhat rusty. Gojowczyk didn't pose much of a threat, but a better player might've been able to make better use of some openings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Federer looked average. To be expected. Serve was decent but he missed some marks and was hitting it in net a lot on deuce side. Minor adjustment will solve that.

What’s incredible and I don’t think most, certainly not the haters, understand is the level of difficulty Federer is playing at by hugging the baseline. It’s like he’s attempting 9.8 level dives while the others try 8 dives. It’s so high risk. When he pulls it off it’s smothering and last years level to be able to pull it off at his age was miraculous. It will get tougher as his reflexes slow though- and I think we are seeing a little of that.
At his age though it’s his only real path - he has to be Uber aggressive and end points ASAP, he can’t go safe like others and slug out rallies and wear down

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Federer looked average. To be expected. Serve was decent but he missed some marks and was hitting it in net a lot on deuce side. Minor adjustment will solve that.

What’s incredible and I don’t think most, certainly not the haters, understand is the level of difficulty Federer is playing at by hugging the baseline. It’s like he’s attempting 9.8 level dives while the others try 8 dives. It’s so high risk. When he pulls it off it’s smothering and last years level to be able to pull it off at his age was miraculous. It will get tougher as his reflexes slow though- and I think we are seeing a little of that.
At his age though it’s his only real path - he has to be Uber aggressive and end points ASAP, he can’t go safe like others and slug out rallies and wear down
His serve was clearly below par. Highest DF percentage of the year, below 80% first serves won on a fast hard court. He definitely has some room to improve here. The positive sign (for once) was his efficiency in the important points. 50% BPs converted, 100% of opponents BPs saved.
Besides that, I fully agree with your analysis how difficult it is to play Federer's style.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Pretty non event match. Fed's gameplan was good. He rushed poor Gojo from the first point to the last, but he lacked in execution. Especially in the fist set. The timing was off, the footwork non existent, the serve shaky. In the second it all got noticeably better, but still not great. The rest is a matter of his ability to play himself into form. If it's just the rust, he'll brush it off and do well to very well. If it's the age... welp, no fairy tale lasts forever.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The problem with rust is that it isn't something you can just brush off. Eventually it corrodes.

I think we've been seeing the evidence of Fed slowing for pretty much all of this year. I can now see points he makes no effort to retrieve whereas in his pomp, he would at least have gone for it and most cases got some kind of racquet on it. It leaves him very vulnerable when rallies start. And I don't think he's got the gas to last a 2 week 5 set tournament.

Sad but inevitable I suppose. I think his slam days are over; once it starts to go, it can go quite quickly. I've said before on here, I thought this might be his last year on tour and still think that is the case on the balance of probability. But not beyond next year and certainly not in contention for serious tournaments.

Could he still win a tournament outside a slam? Yes, with a good draw and in the right conditions. He still has a great serve and especially, perhaps the best second serve of anybody, bar perhaps the beanpole freaks, and he still knows how to get the job done. Shanghai would be the most obvious, then Basel. But there must be some doubt as to whether he'll even make it to 100 tournament wins.

I've seen so many threads suggesting Fed and the others will go on till they're 40 or more. This is so much crap. Singles catches up with you and to be frank, if the nextgen had a bit more about them, they'd already be pushing these guys aside. Obviously Rafa and Novak most likely have another couple of years or so contending at the very top, but unlikely much more than that. And I think Rafa in particular will only achieve that if he adopts the smarter scheduling suggesting by his Cincy withdrawal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts