·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Entry deadline: July 21, 2014
Seeding: August 4, 2014

OUT Istomin, Denis UZB 41 (to MD)
OUT Lu, Yen-Hsun TPE 42 (to MD)
OUT Rosol, Lukas CZE 43
OUT Roger-Vasselin, Edouard FRA 46 (to MD)
OUT Thiem, Dominic AUT 47 (to MD)
OUT Kukushkin, Mikhail KAZ 48
7 Matosevic, Marinko AUS 52
OUT Nieminen, Jarkko FIN 54
OUT Lajovic, Dusan SRB 58
OUT Johnson, Steve USA 64 (WC to MD)
OUT Kyrgios, Nick AUS 65
12 Becker, Benjamin GER 66
13 Gabashvili, Teymuraz RUS 68
14 Tomic, Bernard AUS 70
OUT Sock, Jack USA 72 (WC to MD)
OUT Young, Donald USA 73
OUT Falla, Alejandro COL 74 (to MD)
18 Gonzalez, Alejandro COL 75
OUT Sijsling, Igor NED 76
20 Kamke, Tobias GER 77
21 Rola, Blaz SLO 80
OUT Kavcic, Blaz SLO 81
23 Mathieu, Paul-Henri FRA 84
OUT Klahn, Bradley USA 85
25 (WC) BUCHANAN, Chase USA
26 (WC) GIRON, Marcos USA
27 (WC) MCCARTHY, Devin USA
28 (WC) MCDONALD, Mackenzie USA
(ALT) Zverev, Alexander GER (replaces Kukushkin)
(ALT) Ward, James GBR (replaces Soeda)
(ALT) Llodra, Michael (replaces Kyrgios)

Alternates
IN Ebden, Matthew AUS 86
OUT Mahut, Nicolas FRA 88 (to MD)
OUT Groth, Sam AUS 92
IN Paire, Benoit FRA 96
IN Mannarino, Adrian FRA 101
IN Donskoy, Evgeny RUS 111
IN Smyczek, Tim USA 112
IN Jaziri, Malek TUN 114
OUT Soeda, Go JPN 115
OUT Dzumhur, Damir BIH 122
IN Wang, Jimmy TPE 126
IN Ito, Tatsuma JPN 127
IN Polansky, Peter CAN 130
OUT Gombos, Norbert SVK 131
OUT Sugita, Yuichi JPN 132
IN Devvarman, Somdev IND 133
OUT Herbert, Pierre-Hugues FRA 137
IN Russell, Michael USA 138
OUT Kubot, Lukasz POL 139
IN Pavic, Ante CRO 140
IN Dustov, Farrukh UZB 144
OUT Harrison, Ryan USA 145
OUT Evans, Daniel GBR 147
1 Ward, James GBR 150
2 Bhambri, Yuki IND 153
3 Pella, Guido ARG 154
OUT Tipsarevic, Janko SRB 158
4 Fucsovics, Marton HUN 160
5 Zverev, Alexander GER 161
6 Copil, Marius ROU 162

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Re: Cincinnati Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 22, 2014)

It is purely political...Donald usually does not build strong relationships with the "powers at be" at most tournies. As such, many still feel(incorrectly) that he should still need to be proving himsef after getting so many WC's many years ago as a young player. Thus far, 2014 has been his second best year ever on the tour and he has a decent shot at eclipsing his career high ranking of 38 if he can make a decent USO run or play well in Asia/indoors.

Sock and Johnson are both playing well right now but Querrey is just lost. He could probably benefit from playing qualies and possibly getting a few wins under his belt. Ginepri has no business being in the MD but because of his relationship with the tournament and past success, he gets in. Hopefully Donald will play well in qualies and have a chance to win a few MD matches...I do not believe he has ever won a MD match in Cincy.
To bump this. He now has to play qualies. He lost to Dimitrov today so there's no SE. Klizan is in the MD

As for scheduling, he has this and Winston Salem before the Open. He may want points badly, but it's not a good idea that he play both of these events before the Open. Question is will he play qualies here and take off Winston Salem, or not go to Cincy and play in NC. We'll know when the QD comes out

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Re: Cincinnati Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated August 5, 2014)

I would play Cincy...if he qualifies and wins a MD match or two, then skip WS. If he loses Sunday or Monday, he can still play WS.

·
Registered
482 Posts

To bump this. He now has to play qualies. He lost to Dimitrov today so there's no SE. Klizan is in the MD

As for scheduling, he has this and Winston Salem before the Open. He may want points badly, but it's not a good idea that he play both of these events before the Open. Question is will he play qualies here and take off Winston Salem, or not go to Cincy and play in NC. We'll know when the QD comes out
I kind of slightly disagree. It would be different if he was a serious contender for a deep run at the US Open. But at this point unfortunately you can't really say that about him especially since it's almost certain he won't be seeded at the US Open. Not to say he can't have a good run. I think he can if he get a favorable draw. But the point is it isn't expected for him to go deep at the US Open. So there is no reason he shouldn't keep playing.

For Donald it more about trying to continue his solid form and to get better. And you do that by playing/winning a lot of matches. If he could win Winston Salem I think that would do him a world of good.

And it's always good to play the masters events because if you can advance you get to test yourself against the best guys in the world and you can see where you are lacking and what you need to improve.

Not to mention there is a long break after the US Open.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

I kind of slightly disagree. It would be different if he was a serious contender for a deep run at the US Open. But at this point unfortunately you can't really. ay that about him especially since it's almost certain he win chicagon't be seeded at the US Open. Not to say he can't have a good run. I think he can if he get a favorable draw. But the point is it isn't expected for him to go deep at the US Open. So there is no reason he shouldn't keep playing.

For Donald it more about trying to continue his solid form and to get better. And you do that by playing/winning a lot of matches. If he could win Winston Salem I think that would do him a world of good.

And it's always good to play the masters events because if you can advance you get to test yourself against the best guys in the world and you can see where you are lacking and what you need to improve.

Not to mention there is a long break after the US Open.
Theres no long break after the open. US plays Davis cup wg playoff in chicago this year. I wasnt thinking he'd skip cincy as its a 1000 event. Hell likely skip nc to get a week of rest. He would play 7 straight events from atl to that davis cup In chicago if he doesnt skip Winston salem

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated August 7, 2014)

Kukushkin is in the Aptos QF. He wins tomorrow, he's not playing here. Dzumhur gets in the QD, and Donald Young gets a QD seed. Which will help him get into the main draw

·
Registered
482 Posts

Theres no long break after the open. US plays Davis cup wg playoff in chicago this year. I wasnt thinking he'd skip cincy as its a 1000 event. Hell likely skip nc to get a week of rest. He would play 7 straight events from atl to that davis cup In chicago if he doesnt skip Winston salem
I meant actual tournaments. Anyway I think he can handle it. It's not like he went deep in all those events. The two events before washington he lost in the 1st round. And lost early at the Rogers cup too.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated August 8, 2014)

No luck for Copil though... he needed one more retirement

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

Well Donald Young decided he didn't want to play a Masters 1000 qualy as a Top 50 player. Well nicely earned week off. Good luck in NC and NY Young

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
200 Posts

Well Donald Young decided he didn't want to play a Masters 1000 qualy as a Top 50 player. Well nicely earned week off. Good luck in NC and NY Young
Edit: Forgot that the qualies list is made on a different date than the MD list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts