1,202 Posts
Points won
GOATERER: 69 :heehee:
Mayer: 47

2 down, 3 to go. Yesssssss :) :dance: :yippee:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I just saw the end of it, and Federer did not look so great. He will now have to play a second match in one day against Wawrinka who is getting the best week since his come back

·
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post a loop of Fed @ #37yearsold.... when the highlights reel shows up!

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Decent stuff from Federer.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Federer has been doing this fast start + limping over the finish line routine for a while now. Is he actually fatiguing that quickly, or it just a manifestation of rust?
Yeah, I'm already expecting a drop in level by now in the 2nd set after a very good first, it's very disappointing.

I don't think it's rust, else why would he start so good? Maybe he just can't keep up the intensity even in "easyish" matches.

·
|
14,285 Posts
Roger continues his unbeaten streak at Cincy, 12 consecutive match wins. :bounce:

His last lost here was a QF defeat against Rafa in 2013! Unbelievable how time flies by.
I remember Uncle Toni saying in an interview that Nadal had made a promise to mostly hit to Federer's forehand in that match.
They wanted to see if he could beat Federer without Federer's backhand errors.

·
justice for all
13,109 Posts
I remember Uncle Toni saying in an interview that Nadal had made a promise to mostly hit to Federer's forehand in that match.
But once the match started he forgot and hit mostly to his BH with the highest topspin possible.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Federer has been doing this fast start + limping over the finish line routine for a while now. Is he actually fatiguing that quickly, or it just a manifestation of rust?
I don't think it's fatigue. Federer, despite being 37 is still one of the best athletes around. His fitness is great. I think it's mental fatigue. He is having too many of those this year. He is losing his concentration way too often. I feel that's party to do with the fact that he hasn't played a lot of top players this year. He needs to play against Nadal or Djokovic to play at his best again. Against them, he won't dare to lose his concentration.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't worry, Nadal could never have lost that match legitimately. If he had lost then it would have been...

Unfair because he was injured (cited hundreds of times).

Unfair because he had some physical ailment although apparently completely fit to play (cited hundreds of times).

Unfair because he was upset about his parent's divorce (cited hundreds of times).

Unfair because it rained a bit so he couldn't get his topspin high enough (cited by Nadal himself at the French Open).

Unfair because he had to play under a roof (cited by Nadal at Wimbledon).

Unfair because he was warned by the umpire for taking too long between points (cited by Nadal, support group and fans many times).

Unfair because a shot clock was introduced (cited by Nadal, support group, and his fans).

Unfair because a specific umpire is against him and he's demanded for him to be banned (cited by Nadal at both Wimbledon and the French Open).

Unfair because the ATP Finals isn't on clay (cited by Nadal).

Unfair because the courts are too fast, even though they're much slower than in the past (cited by Nadal, support group, and fans).

Unfair because he'd won too many matches recently so he was too tired (cited by fans hundreds of times, and implied by Nadal on numerous occasions).

Unfair because the scheduling went against him in some way (cited by both Nadal and fans).

Unfair because Federer has a better serve than him (cited by fans hundreds of times).

Unfair because his hair's falling out.

Sorry, I just added the last one as a joke, but all of the others are excuses cited by either Nadal, his support team, or his fans.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I don't think it's fatigue. Federer, despite being 37 is still one of the best athletes around. His fitness is great. I think it's mental fatigue. He is having too many of those this year. He is losing his concentration way too often. I feel that's party to do with the fact that he hasn't played a lot of top players this year. He needs to play against Nadal or Djokovic to play at his best again. Against them, he won't dare to lose his concentration.
That's what I've been thinking too. But too often he doesn't seem able to shift up a gear when his opponents raise their game, which makes watching his matches very frustrating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts