Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice play by Raonic to earn that victory on the match point. Raonic is back to his usual QF spot and hopefully anything at this point forward is a bonus. Was hoping for Shapo to hold and take this to TB but it wasn't to be.

·
Registered
57,604 Posts
Really poor performance mentally by Shapovalov in both sets, especially set one where he had *6-5 in the tb and missed consecutive sitter forehands. Very chokey from a typically quite clutch player.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
20 double faults by Shapovalov in his last two matches..

That sounds like a lot! I didn't see the entire match. I did see the TB though and felt sure Denis would do it there. It seems to me he felt under a lot of pressure from Raonic who kept Denis pinned behind the baseline most of the time. He was hitting extremely hard on his FH, which is why I think Denis went for a bit too much. But, I didn't see a choke. I saw Raonic play better and Denis tried hard but wasn't as good as Milow today. Still, two R16 appearances in a row. Would be good if he could get to that place in the USO as well. I think he can.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Really poor performance mentally by Shapovalov in both sets, especially set one where he had *6-5 in the tb and missed consecutive sitter forehands. Very chokey from a typically quite clutch player.
Very easy to see it that way. Another way of looking at it is that Raonic was hitting and serving so hard, Denis was trying to come up with better and better shots. That isn't easy. But it's easy for us to sit here and say so. Hmmmm.:grin2:Anyway, on to the USO. I am still pleased with how he's doing. Two R116 appearances in a row. And I have a feeling he'll do well in the USO.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Well done Raonic, great win and gets his “revenge” for Madrid. Expect a loss to Djokovic next round though

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
Nice win by Raonic, down SP in the first set TB wins the next 3 points to take the set. After being up a break loses the break back to Shapovalov but breaks again to take the match.

Gets winner of Dimitrov/Djokovic next.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I didn't see it as a choke, Milos was just slightly better when it counted. Denis was down 15-30 before the rain came and had a couple other games where he was serving from behind but he held on. There is so much pressure on the opposing player when Milos is serving well and he held on and kept going for his shots.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Congrats to Raonic, lets see if he can build his way back to the top 10

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Honestly, Shapovalov has no business losing rallies to Raonic. But he's a hot mess right now and all over the place. 8 DF's to 2 aces and being down BP's in 5 different games is plain poor. So it was expected. He still had nice wins this fortnight despite being up and down.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Honestly, Shapovalov has no business losing rallies to Raonic. But he's a hot mess right now and all over the place. 8 DF's to 2 aces and being down BP's in 5 different games is plain poor. So it was expected. He still had nice wins this fortnight despite being up and down.
Why? Raonic was hitting very hard. And I disagreee with this completely. I think Denis fought hard and has been playing much better as of late. Two weeks in a row to R16 is good tennis for a teen. The DF's still need to come down but I think that is the tweak to the serve. They should put it back the way it was. In fact, he's won four out of last six matches, and only one of those was what I would call a poor effort.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Why? Raonic was hitting very hard. And I disagreee with this completely. I think Denis fought hard and has been playing much better as of late. Two weeks in a row to R16 is good tennis for a teen. The DF's still need to come down but I think that is the tweak to the serve. They should put it back the way it was. In fact, he's won four out of last six matches, and only one of those was what I would call a poor effort.
I also disagree completely with Mr. Monsi, Raonic is a very underrated player outside the serve. He’s far from a servebot and has a very good FH and can hit big shots and is able to rally. There is no shame in losing rallies to Raonic

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Funny how we sit here at our computers and think we know what's going on in these peoples' lives. Even though they're athletes, they're also sons, brothers, daughters, friends, cousins, lovers, partners, etc. In everyone's life there are times when we can give our best and other times when we can't. It has nothing to do with whether we should or could. It has to do with how life deals us our ups and downs. Denis once said something very wise for a young kid his age. He said for him it's all about the journey. Points will come and go. Some matches should be won and could be won and others just flow. At 19 he is still very much a work in progress and will be for several years. My perspective is: enjoy the journey.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts