Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
That was an incredibly composed Goffin. Can't believe how steely he was down all those BPs and 0-3* in the TB. Didn't drop a set against 2 top 10 guys in one day. That's a hell of a feat. If Roger/Wawrinka match goes to a 3rd set, I can see David having a shot at reaching his first masters F.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delpo sliced his way out of the match. Not only a servebot but also a slicebot.

Such a boring pathetic guy. I dont understand what do some fanboys find intereating about his game? He is basically Karlovic 2.

Real tennis fan must admire when real talents like Goffin do the Gods job here. :cheerleader:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yes David!!!! The last 25 minutes were so painful to watch. He was leading 4-2 in the second set, then at 4-2 30-30 he served an ace but got a foot fault called against him, and proceeded to DF of course. He then saved 3 SPs on his own serve and was 0-3** down in the tie-break, and somehow pulled through.

I otherwise really enjoyed David's quality of play today (in both games), very few UEs and good 1st serve % overall. His second serve will always be a liability against guys like Delpo, but he did a decent job at defending it. What he really needs to improve is the net clearance of his FH DTL, even by 5cm - way too often it clips the net, those were the bulk of his UEs today.

Who knows now, he might have a shot at his first masters final :D I would fancy him against Stan who is a set up, probably a bit less so against Fed due to the mental block (although he broke his duck at WTF, but it might remain a one-off).

Very happy with his tournament no matter what happens from now on!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Del Potro's biggest asset these days is really his mental strength. He stays in pts and makes you work, which is why Cilic (and others) for bigger direct weapons often struggles to beat him. The slice isn't that easy to put away as it sounds. Good wins for Goffin.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
alright, so i i know i was planning on taking a break but i took a peak at the tennis scores and saw the results today. i don't even know what to say. i'm so happy for him and so proud of him. a brilliant day to take down 2 of the best guys this season both in straight sets. i didn't think he'd get by tsitsipas but he's done so good. he had a brutal draw and here he is in his first north american hard court semi.

good last 2 weeks for marin too. my 2 faves doing well when i wasn't even watching

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
alright, so i i know i was planning on taking a break but i took a peak at the tennis scores and saw the results today. i don't even know what to say. i'm so happy for him and so proud of him. a brilliant day to take down 2 of the best guys this season both in straight sets. i didn't think he'd get by tsitsipas but he's done so good. he had a brutal draw and here he is in his first north american hard court semi.

good last 2 weeks for marin too. my 2 faves doing well when i wasn't even watching
I thought of you after David won and wondered if you might show up and write something :smile2: I've had a very difficult, emotional week (my 2 children going back abroad to their mother after spending the summer holidays with me) but these results are helping to make me feel a bit better. It's a good time to be a David fan 0:)

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,191 Posts
Delpo sliced his way out of the match. Not only a servebot but also a slicebot.

Such a boring pathetic guy. I dont understand what do some fanboys find intereating about his game? He is basically Karlovic 2.

Real tennis fan must admire when real talents like Goffin do the Gods job here. :cheerleader:
Not that watching slices is bad, but you know he has to slice a lot because of his wrist, right?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not that watching slices is bad, but you know he has to slice a lot because of his wrist, right?
Yeah not bad, but maybe if you are a Simon or Haase fan, if there is such category lol.

Watching a 3 meter cyclope slicing for his life is just like watching a 15 meter long truck trying to manouvre his way around over my neighbours small backyard.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Who are you, people? Where did you come from? Goffin more fun to watch than Del Potro? Seriously or just trolling?
Some fans prefer finesse and tactical genius more than just bland power tennis. Me too, btw – therefore I also don't like Nadal.

Great win for Goffin here, and I already suspected it from their previous recent matches. Granted, Delpo was in comeback then, but this win truly speaks about the Belgian's variety and all-court mastery.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Delicious result. Thanks David.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Sometimes just watch Godfin play, just watch him, don't watch anybody else. He plays almost perfect.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts