Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like this, but my feeling tells me it will happen.
Cilic is now a different player. He was injured after the USO 2014 but he is slowly raising his level. After R4 in RG, he reached the QF at Wimby. Getting better and better and will peak again at his favourite surface. Sorry to say:)

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Djokovic is prone to terminal brainfarting during the US Open later rounds. Red hot players like Wawrinka/Cilic/Nishikori could definitely knock him out.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Nope. Wrong.

As much as I want to see it, I don't think it will happen. We've seen what happens when Cilic faces a top 10 player, he just fades away...
The only time we haven't seen it since US Open was against Wawrinka last year, and he still lost that match.
I mean, lost to Andy in straights at Beijing.
Lost to Novak, Tomas, and Stan at WTF, only winning more than 4 games in a match against Stan.
Straight-sets loss to Novak at Monte-Carlo.
Straight-sets loss to Ferrer at FO.
And straight-sets loss to Novak at Wimbledon.

Yes, he's had decent wins over Tsonga and Isner...but right now, they aren't at the top, they're at the middle.

And I think that's where Marin is gonna find himself at the end of this year, middle of the pack...12-22 or so.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Cilic is now a different player. He was injured after the USO 2014 but he is slowly raising his level. After R4 in RG, he reached the QF at Wimby. Getting better and better and will peak again at his favourite surface. Sorry to say:)
You are stuck drunk from yesterday. lol. No way ... he will defend anything. Look, he beat a tired Nishikori and a gutless grandpa to win his title. Did he beat Murray? Did he beat Nole? He barely lost to Simon. I don't hate Cilic. But I highly doubt he can win another slam

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Bet your account on it? :devil:

It's the new MTF price for going full astrology. Never go full astrology man.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
If Nishi makes it to no.4 instead of Stan, Federer' half will be as easy as the last year, but no way Cilic ends up again in Federer's half this year playing Simon, Berdych and Olderer.

In Djokovic' half Cilic will have to play against Stanimal/Murray and Djokovic or Stanimal/Nishi and Djokovic if Nishi stays as no.5 and that is a huge difference.

So, it'll be either Murray or Nishi this year in Federer' half, meaning one of Murray/Nishi will be the favorite to make the finals there.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last year's one in a billion event won't ever be repeated.

Cilic isn't fluking slams no more.
This is what they said about Stan aswell...

Look Cilic is 26 and he has the weapons to be a multiple-slam winner. Fed, Nadal, Berdych, Ferrer, Tsonga all are declining.
Of course there are still Novak, Andy and Stan. All other players are more than beatable for Cilic and we don't know till the next superstar (Kyrgios, Coric??) shows up. So Cilic can benefit from transitional era in next couple of years

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
If Peak Cilic appears again, he'll absolutely win it all. Peak Cilic >> *

·
Registered
695 Posts
If he doesn't meet Djokovic, maybe.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Who has Cilic beat since winning the US Open? Djokovic absolutely owns him because he plays the same way against Djokovic every time. He would probably lose in straights to Murray as well

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
This is what they said about Stan aswell...

Look Cilic is 26 and he has the weapons to be a multiple-slam winner. Fed, Nadal, Berdych, Ferrer, Tsonga all are declining.
Of course there are still Novak, Andy and Stan. All other players are more than beatable for Cilic and we don't know till the next superstar (Kyrgios, Coric??) shows up. So Cilic can benefit from transitional era in next couple of years
Are you seriously comparing Stan and Cilic?

Stan is worlds above Cilic.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is quite possible that at the US Open this year Tsonga is last year's Berdych, the opponent in the match that converted Marin to GOATrin. Of course, if Stronga shows up (who is multiple orders of magnitude better than Berdych), then Cilic will probably lose. Nevertheless, an entertaining match on the cards come Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts