Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Djokovic in 5

Votes: 4 9.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cilic is defending champion in USOpen..if they meet in turnament and if cilic plays like last year who wiil win..we know that HC is 13-0 but cilic in that mode was unbeateble last year on USopen

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Djokovic easily.
He just got lucky to play back to back:

1. A very subpar Berdych who was losing to everyone and had one of if not the worst season of his career
2. A very tired Federer hitting nothing to hurt Cilic.
3. A Nishikori who was simply not competitive to play tennis.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
As good as Cilic was, the match-up clearly favors Djokovic.
I think Djokovic would win in 4 sets.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,561 Posts
Djokovic easily.
He just got lucky to play back to back:

1. A very subpar Berdych who was losing to everyone and had one of if not the worst season of his career
2. A very tired Federer hitting nothing to hurt Cilic.
3. A Nishikori who was simply not competitive to play tennis.
This. He had the easier opponent in each round from the QF.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
What everyone needs to understand is Novaks a better player than he was last year. If they meet he will win this time. All of his game is working. His serve is great. His accuracy is spot on when hitting the ball deep. Its how he beat Federer last week.

The only dangerman I see for Novak is Wawrinka. Its a mental thing. And Novak needs.to beat Wawrinka to gain confidence. He will then make this his best year ever.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I disagree. ANDERSON WAS.MOVING like ive NEVER seen a man that big move. He was serving like a god. And still didnt break Novak just got him with two tiebreaks. But we gonna see soon. Novak could easily win his 10th slam in New York. Then the talk WOULD REALLY START.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
As a huge No1e fan even I have to admit that Cilic hit peak levels superior to even Djokovic 2011 that USO. Downside is that it will likely never happen again. Cilic in 4.

·
Registered
17,629 Posts
I don't know which would have more weight: the H2H of Cilic's level of play.

I think Cilic would win in 4. He essentially mauled Nishikori, a guy who--like Djokovic--had some great defense.

Then again, you have 2011 Federer who STILL lost to Nadal at RG, even though he was playing brilliantly. So maybe H2H always prevails. :shrug:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I don't think any version of Djokovic beats 2014 Cilic at the US Open. Novak struggles with big hitters in form time to time. I don't see any real explanation how Djokovic would combat how Cilic was serving and hitting his groundstrokes. bam 1-2 punches over and over by Cilic.

sure, Marin didn't face an insanely good returner in last year's US Open but the reality is that with the way he was serving I think he would have had the edge over practically anyone on tour. I mean look at how he dismantled Federer and Nishikori.

Novak in 2015 is nothing that spectacular in terms of level, certainly a far cry from his 2011 heights. undoubtedly the competition is weaker this season than 2011 (which is a funny thing to see as 2011 bar Nadal wasn't that great from the field except Federer for very brief moments)

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
If Djokovic is more or less playing well he would beat him, he's just a very bad match up for him, aside from being a much better player.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I don't know which would have more weight: the H2H of Cilic's level of play.

I think Cilic would win in 4. He essentially mauled Nishikori, a guy who--like Djokovic--had some great defense.

Then again, you have 2011 Federer who STILL lost to Nadal at RG, even though he was playing brilliantly. So maybe H2H always prevails. :shrug:
This.

Matchup issues will always be there. JesusFed was absolutely GOATing against Nole who was in the form of his life but then the inevitable and very predictable happened and Fed collapsed like a house of cards. Of course Nole only has 1 US Open so he is not even as close to as dominant as Nadal is at RG so maybe Cilic would have a chance.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Well, Nishikori beat Djokovic with relative ease and then got routined by Cilic, so you have to conclude that unless Externalfactorvic shows up to fluke another undeserved one this matchup would go to Cilic in straights.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Some of you people are so silly. Any version of Djokovic (even when he is brain farting) is beating any version of Cilic. Could someone remind me how many sets Marin won against Novak? Oh, how many matches? Oh, stop with your stupid theories.

Cilic is simply clueless when it comes to Djokovic. He was lucky that Nole lost to Kei and Djokovic was an idiot for losing that match. It's simple, but shit happens.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
We are talking about the very same Cilic who barely beat Simon in 5 sets, right?
Why are people always mentioning this in a negative context? Simon owns Cilic and Berdych, did very well against Del Potro and in general is a horrible match up for those tall big hitters. Cilic winning that 5th set is more impressive than schooling Berdych in the QF.

As far as the poll goes, i can't imagine Cilic beating Djokovic in any scenario.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts