·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would win?

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
SF Cilic beats any Nadal in 3 sets. That was one of the greatest ballbashing flukes the world of tennis has ever seen. And someone with Nadal's game style would be a sitting duck, put for embarrassing crushing

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Nadal takes it in 5. Too much defense for Cilic to overcome.

Reactions: SHOKAN

·
6,479 Posts
I think Nadal takes it in 5. Too much defense for Cilic to overcome.
Agree, as much as I don't support the guy, Nadal was in a great phase on hard courts , arguably as good as 2009-2010, with confidence and momentum on his side.
Cilic put on a great show of hard hitting and big serving last year, but eventually would have been picked apart and worn down by Nadal 2013 version, Nadal in 5.

·
29,637 Posts
Nadal in straights IMO- he'd simply be impossible to hit through. Cilic red-lined at USO'14 but wasn't facing any insane defenders forcing him to hit 3-4 big shots in the points.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
I think Nadal would win in 4 sets, maybe 5.

Cilic was great of course, but Nadal's mix of insane defense and powerful offense/counterattack would most likely prove too much to handle.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Cilic in 4. He was absolutely pummeling the ball. His insane offense would draw all kinds of short balls, which he put away with ease during his run. Not even Nadal would be able to withstand his his onslaught.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Nadal in straights IMO- he'd simply be impossible to hit through. Cilic red-lined at USO'14 but wasn't facing any insane defenders forcing him to hit 3-4 big shots in the points.
This..Even if Cilic was hitting that zone, Federer with much worse ground game than the scary version of Nadal in summer 2013 still mangaged to get an initial break in the the third set..In the swiss shoes, you know Rafa will ride that momoentum and reel in Cilic eventually whose mental issues will likely get hold of him the more the match wears on..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Cilic for me. Nadal brute-forced it with tenacity past an average Djokovic, but Cilic was playing with the unstoppable power of dessssstiny (*rumble*.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
bear in mind Nadal was recovering from injury for the second half of 2009 and did not play particularly well in much of any events for that section of the season. also I do not believe Bejiing and the US Open play very similarly in terms of the courts

Nadal 2010 USO or 2013 USO is a different animal than that Bejiing match

this is hard to predict though because Cilic streamrolled through his part of the draw so easily. we don't have an example of a fantastic in form defender or counter puncher really matching up with him from that tournament

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
could also be a roasting like ao 2007 vs gonzalez or ao 2008 vs stronga. :shrug:

we also shouldn't forget that set3-meltdown from djokovic in the final 2013.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Nadal in 3 easy sets.

Do not forget who Cilic's opponents were, an Old Man choking like crazy who couldn't even play properly and Nishikori that played bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts