Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, the guy has no major weakness game-wise. Good/great serve. Good/great FH. Good BH. Great ROS (the best ROS out of tall players). Great movement for a player of his height. Decent at the net. Really only his mind holds him back. You can't say the same about Almagro, Verdasco or Gulbis for example because these players have obvious weaknesses in their games. Cilic is more complete game-wise. His mind is the worst though.

I'm glad he fought well today. I'm just talking about him in general. He is the biggest underachiever in top 100 imo. Easily the weakest player mentally. Achieved what he achieved so far thanks to his pure talent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What about Tommy Haas? Injuries ruined his career.

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about Tommy Haas? Injuries ruined his career.
Yeah because of injures so I wouldn't say he is the biggest underachiever. He underachieved but mostly because of injures. Same with Delpo. Whereas guys like Cilic and Verdasco underachieved because of their heads.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
No. One dimensional, shit movement, streaky forehand and hides behind serve.

All he did was drive the ball into Federer's pathetic backhand and attack midcourt balls from it. He's actually overachieved. I think he's shit.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Cilic's endurance at times seems lackluster, and his attitude seems up and down

I agree technically speaking he appears to have few weaknesses but we can't ignore how big mentality is in sport. Cilic certainly is not the best tactician and certainly does not have that killer winner attitude that the best usually do

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
On a good day for Cilic, I still don't see how you can say he has no clear weaknesses. His forehand is so prone to breaking down, it's alarming. Make him dig, and he's pedestrian. For specific examples of this look no farther than any of his matches with Nishikori. He exposes it so much, especially with that slice.

I would also say his movement, perhaps expectedly, is not great, and that's what it really takes more than anything to break through these days. As such, he loses out to a lot of big hitters not because he can't match them p4p, but because they're much better on the stretch and grind than he is. Match-ups like those v. Del Potro, Wawrinka, Berdych, etc. tend to support this. I think he has a winning h2h against Tsonga? But that's because those backhand exchanges are killer for Jo.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Say what? He moves far better than del Potro, who might I remind you has a slam to his name. Speaking of del Potro, he's also more one-dimensional, clearly indicating those are not the biggest obstacles to success in today's game.

No idea what hides behind the serve means.

Marin's FH is indeed streaky and in most of his losses it's the source of countless UE's. BH, why less of a weapon in general, is far more steady.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Seriously, the guy has no major weakness game-wise. Good/great serve. Good/great FH. Good BH. Great ROS (the best ROS out of tall players). Great movement for a player of his height. Decent at the net. Really only his mind holds him back. You can't say the same about Almagro, Verdasco or Gulbis for example because these players have obvious weaknesses in their games. Cilic is more complete game-wise. His mind is the worst though.

I'm glad he fought well today. I'm just talking about him in general. He is the biggest underachiever in top 100 imo. Easily the weakest player mentally. Achieved what he achieved so far thanks to his pure talent.
Say me something new.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
i dont think he is that good. he lacks mentality and has a pretty robotic game, doesnt move very well...i think he ranks where he deserves, top 10-30

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
i dont think he is that good. he lacks mentality and has a pretty robotic game, doesnt move very well...i think he ranks where he deserves, top 10-30
Sorry Loco, but Marin is pretty good. Watch his match against Djokovic at the USO back in 2008. He played so well. I thought he was the next big thing based on that match only.

Sure we 'tennis experts' can find so many wrong things about any player. His problem is mostly mental but I can say that about 99.99999% of pro players nowadays. Tennis, once you learn the basics, is played between your ears.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Say what? He moves far better than del Potro, who might I remind you has a slam to his name. Speaking of del Potro, he's also more one-dimensional, clearly indicating those are not the biggest obstacles to success in today's game.

No idea what hides behind the serve means.

Marin's FH is indeed streaky and in most of his losses it's the source of countless UE's. BH, why less of a weapon in general, is far more steady.
Del Potro has a bullet forehand and a physicality that serves him well. Marin is just not good enough to be spoken of in the same breathe.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
You can't say the same about Almagro, Verdasco or Gulbis for example because these players have obvious weaknesses in their games. Cilic is more complete game-wise
What? How did you determine he is more complete? All three of those guys have just as much game (and often they have more game). Almagro and Verdasco in particular have HUGE mental issues.

Cilic isn't great at net, doesn't move all that well, has a forehand that rivals Chardy's for hitting it out of the court under pressure and of course, mentally Marin is far from steady.

Pointing to a few great matches doesn't cut it; we could do the same for all of those guys at that level.

I actually think Almagro and Verdasco with a better mind and better movement would give a lot of players fits and Gulbis does the same even now at times.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Cilic's entire career is built off being a doper, therefore his cheating has allowed him to overachieve.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
cilic is a boring player and terrible human being

his off court antics provided him with the ability to reach slam sf's

now they're coming back to roost

lack of insane stroke is an issue

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

All he did was drive the ball into Federer's pathetic backhand and attack midcourt balls from it. He's actually overachieved. I think he's shit.
While I don't think he is a complete player as others are suggestion, he doesn't have shit movement for his size he actually moves quite well for a person who's 6,6.

·
6,247 Posts
Berdych is the biggest underachiever in my book, only 9 career titles, closely followed by Tsonga.
An honourable mention to Gasquet as well, he folds like a pack of cards when in pressure matches.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
While I don't think he is a complete player as others are suggestion, he doesn't have shit movement for his size he actually moves quite well for a person who's 6,6.
Who cares about his size? I wish people would stop saying, he's a good mover for his size. Fact is he is tall, it doesn't help with his movement and therefore when you compare that movement to top 10 quality, you realise it is shit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts