Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris Froome @chrisfroome

Wonder what RF would have to say about ASO security on Alpe d'Huez?Give me a couple of kids wanting selfies any time

BBC Sport @BBCSport

Roger Federer has criticised French Open security. Full story: http://bbc.in/1Sx8GsN

Harden up @rogerfederer ��

Giro spectators have caused multiple broken bones over the last two weeks alone.
https://twitter.com/chrisfroome

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Federer is not a hobbiest and therefore stronger security measures are expected :shrug:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The Tour De France is a different thing to tennis as its steeped in tradition with spectators all cramming together by the side of the road to get a piece of the action and has had many occurences of buffoons getting too close and causing crashes for cyclists.

Does that mean Chris Froome has a point?

Um no,........... Since when in the history of tennis (at least in the open era) are spectators just allowed to do what they want and walk on the court like they damn well please regardless of whether they're 6 or 60.Just not allowed period.The sport had a tragic stabbing of a player so they have every valid concern to make it an issue when there is a breach.

Personally I think Froome's quip is irrelevant and not the same thing.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,534 Posts
Lol that puts some perspective... But to be fair the name of Roger Federer is renowned universally thus higher stakes in a way. Luckily no big incidents since Seles stabbing but it does make you think.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Yeah... because tennis players have not been stabbed in the past ... and it keeps happening at the French. Against Soderling ... the guy tried to hug Roger but could have done much worse. This guy is a paid stooge and an attention ***** for even bringing this up like that ... also what does he mean Harden up? Last time I checked, that guy is getting swept in the playoffs ... the fact is Chris Froome is probably Chris Kuerton. The type of nonsense posted sounds eerily familiar

·
Banned
237 Posts
Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Froome sticking his dirty oar where its not wanted.

·
Registered
645 Posts
hehe, nice from Froome! I might even consider liking him for a second... nah, i dont.
now stop posting and tweeting, and get ready for TDF! (although i heard some stories that he doesnt want to ride...) i wanna see Nibali beating both you and Contador this time. last year was sweet, but it wouldve been sweeter if him and Contador didnt have those injuries...

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Let's just say ... such drivel would not have been tweeted by a cyclist from a Capitalist country.

Reactions: ApproachShot

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like Froome doesn't know tennis' history in this regard.
It's not like one freak incident is representative, that nut would have succeeded no matter the security measures taken.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
EDIT: I think I explained myself a little bit wrong in the original message. In this two quotes I explained it a little bit better. The original message is above both quotes, but it doesn't 100% tell what I really think.

The wrong thing about Froome is that he attacked a person that is complaining about his safety because he feels he is more unprotected than Federer. Of course Froome is more unprotected than Federer, but you can't attack to people because they are reclaiming their own rights. You have to support them and remember that you are even in a hardest situation than them.

In the kernel of the message he is right, but the manner of tweeting it is 100% wrong.
You didn't get my message. Sometimes is difficult to explain things in a foreign language:

-> Federer complains about a failure in RG security. He is RIGHT, and this situation happened before even in the finals. RG has to protect him and Federer should have the right to decide who touches him and who interacts with him, and if we wants to interact with fans or not without being stalked.

-> Froome complains that the exposure to risk for every cyclist is way bigger than Federer's exposure to risk. He is RIGHT, but if you are unprotected you can't criticize people that reclaim their security rights no matter if they are more or less protected than you. Just join forces and complain together to improve the both situations.

BUT:

-> Federer has to understand that he is in a place surrounded by people. Why? Because they are fans of him, because they love him and Federer gets paid in the same proportion as the love that he receives. He has to deal with the fact that people will interact with him and that there can be fans a little bit crazy for their love for his idol (something pathetic IMO). If you are loved by millions of people, you can't expect all of them to be 100% respectful. You are somehow in permanent danger because you are famous and everybody knows you, and you are paid because of that. What athlete wins as much money as Federer without being known and loved by people?

THEREFORE:

-> I am not identifying passion for an idol with crazy people. Passion and love for a person is not related with crazy and disrespectful behaviour. But I am only telling that rich superstars have to deal with the fact that being famous and being loved by a lot of fans makes this bad episodes way more probable. The passion of a lot of people brings crazy people to you. The more attention you get, the more exposed you are. Nobody is perfect, security isn't perfect. Deal with the fact that you can't be always 100% protected, remember that all the spectators passed a control at the entrance of the venue and remember that other athletes that are WAY LESS PAID than you are more exposed to risk without less security and surronded by fans whose objects are not identified or controled by somebody.
Froome is somehow right, but the comparison is not very good. Spectators in cycling have direct contact with the athletes and there is no supervision of what kind of objects do they bring with themselves. In most of the tennis courts you pass controls at the entrance of the venue. Of course cycling and tennis have different traditions and different ways of understanding the sport and the interaction between spectators and athletes, and I think that Federer should criticize people that wants to take a selfie with him. This shouldn't be allowed by the Roland Garros security but this kind of things sometimes are difficult to avoid. After all, all the guys that "disturb" Roger are the ones who let him win the amount of money that he wins. Without the passion of the fans and the money that they pay to enjoy the sport Federer wouldn't win the amount of money that he wins. I am not defending the crazy fans but he is not the most appropiate guy to tell that. Sometimes tennis players feel like divas who can't be touched.

Anyway, the solution would be a better security standars for both sports. But even if you are more exposed to the danger than another athlete, you can't critize Federer because he is less exposed than you. Federer is right and Froome is right, that's all.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Froome is right. Spectators in cycling have direct contact with the athletes and there is no supervision of what kind of objects do they bring with themselves. In most of the tennis courts you pass controls at the entrance of the venue. Of course cycling and tennis have different traditions and different ways of understanding the sport and the interaction between spectators and athletes, but don't cry because people wants to take a selfie with you. This shouldn'te be allowed by the Roland Garros security but this kind of things sometimes are difficult to avoid. After all, all the guys that "disturb" Roger are the ones who let him win the amount of money that he wins. Without the passion of the fans and the money that they pay to enjoy the sport Federer wouldn't win the amount of money that he wins. I am not defending the crazy fans but he is not the most appropiate guy to tell that. Sometimes tennis players feel like divas who can't be touched.
Well, you better hope your favorite player is never stabbed buddy. And tennis is not cycling. If you can't tell the difference, then you are not even a sports fan.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah... because tennis players have not been stabbed in the past ... and it keeps happening at the French. Against Soderling ... the guy tried to hug Roger but could have done much worse. This guy is a paid stooge and an attention ***** for even bringing this up like that ... also what does he mean Harden up? Last time I checked, that guy is getting swept in the playoffs ... the fact is Chris Froome is probably Chris Kuerton. The type of nonsense posted sounds eerily familiar
oh cmon, this doesnt mean Federer is right... i mean, 4 kids approach to him during training. can you imagine that?! :eek: he is getting millions of dollars, mostly because of this kids, and now they are even want to take pictures with him? like its not enough that he takes their money, now he seems obligate to smile at them too... such a poor organizers this french are...
and he needs to Harden up cause maybe those kids were Houston fans? or even worse, Warriors fans!!! that would be ballistic...

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
After all, all the guys that "disturb" Roger are the ones who let him win the amount of money that he wins. Without the passion of the fans and the money that they pay to enjoy the sport Federer wouldn't win the amount of money that he wins.
Roger takes a lot of time to sign for fans and take pictures at tournaments that there is really no need for someone to step on the court to take a picture there.

It's really not a good sign for the security at RG that again a spectator could run on the court.

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roger takes a lot of time to sign for fans and take pictures at tournaments that there is really no need for someone to step on the court to take a picture there.

It's really not a good sign for the security at RG that again a spectator could run on the court.
To be clear, I don't fully agree with Froome, it shouldn't be able to happen. And now that it did, it was embarrassing to see how long it took security to respond.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Well, you better hope your favorite player is never stabbed buddy. And tennis is not cycling. If you can't tell the difference, then you are not even a sports fan.
I don't want people to get stubbed, I don't care at all who is the player, if my favourite or less favourite player. Fanatism is a bitch. And of course cycling is not tennis: cycling is more exposed to risk in every aspect of the sport, but you can't pretend to have security in 200km. But I am only telling that Federer gets a LOT of security. He is righ to be critic with security if they don't do their job, but a lot of players have less security and he can't pretend the system to be perfect always.

Any cyclist would dream with the protection that Nadal/Federer get. But you know what? They don't move as much money as Federer/Nadal. That's why they get less protection. You can see here that I really understand the difference between tennis and clycling ;)

Yep. Gunter Parsche brought SO MUCH money into tennis by taking its biggest star out of the game.
:facepalm: Twisting at its finnest. The fact that you are mixing that psycho with my message is simply disgusting. I am only talking about the passion of the fans that pay money in order to watch their stars. Of course stars should be protected and if the security fails that can be dangerous and this shouldn't happen, but sometimes tennis stars pretend to move across a place surronded with people without being even touched.

·
Registered
645 Posts

he is crying because kids approach to him on training. a kid, not a fucking terrorist! yes, he takes time to take a picture with fans, such a nice guy this Federer... big fucking deal! and they approach him because there are enough 30+yrs old tards who thinks taking picture with Federer is sooooo cool, so the kids cant even get to have one... so instead of crying about security, take 5 minutes of your time and talk with them, dont just sign a ball or take a picture. yes, you will not get bonus from your sponsors, but it will mean a world to those kids.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts