Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those who don't remeber, Chesnokov is a Russian player, who retired some years ago, he was especially good on clay, Andrei was also Marat's coach for a while (in 2000)...

well anyway, he is to appear in the court in the next several days in Paris. He started some buisness in France and is now accused of not paying taxes, he's facing 2 years in prison. :(

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Tennis players and taxes. These two do not seem to get along very well.

I hope Chesnakov can afford a good lawyer to help him avoid any actual imprisonment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nina said:
he is to appear in the court in the next several days in Paris. He started some buisness in France and is now accused of not paying taxes, he's facing 2 years in prison. :(
I know this is not a laughing matter but I was a little confused when I first skimmed over this - I thought it said that he was accused of "not playing tennis" and was facing prison for that! Oh well, off to the opticians!

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
lol at Paul

I hope he won't have to go to jail. First Steffi's father, then Boris and now this. Weird.

·
Banned
98 Posts
thank you, Experimentee. I was just going to say that. If he's guilty, he should face the same sentence anybody else would.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The law is the same for every one but for what I read on this story, a Russian tennis player traveling the world is not necessarily aware that he has to pay taxes in France just because he has a home in Paris. His agent is the one who should have known.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Yes, but sometimes when you're staying in another country you don't know that. It depends on how long you're staying in a country. If nobody tells you how the legal system works then suddenly you get sued years later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah but this man was a tennisplayer and for sure knew that he also had to pay taxes there. he was a fighter again the sovjet goverment before it fall apart so he was busy with money issues.

that's why I also doubt that he didn't know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts