Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 599 Posts

·
Come on, Ernest!
17,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's have a new cheering thread for the second half of the year :wavey:

The draw for Queen's should be out later today. Ernests said that he will go to London only on Tuesday so he won't have a lot of time to practice on grass. In addition to that, he played a lot of matches in Nice and RG and he's bound to be a little tired. That's why I'm not expecting him to go far in this tournament but I'm hoping he'll be ready for Wimbledon.

Ernests said that he won't celebrate getting into the top 10 but you're welcome to celebrate it here :aparty:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Re: Cheering for Ernests who's finally in the Top 10

I can't believe he's in top 10 so early this year, I was expecting by year end :p and he doesn't have a lot of points to defend. Year end WTF is looking promising (knock on woods, no jinxing please)

The draw at Queens is out,
R1 Bye,
R2 De Chepper/Devvarman,
R3 Hewitt (possible) or Feli Lopez. Both are grass experts.

I think that all we can hope for, not easy one. If he goes far, Berdych is waiting :devil:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

I can't believe he's in top 10 so early this year, I was expecting by year end :p and he doesn't have a lot of points to defend. Year end WTF is looking promising (knock on woods, no jinxing please)

The draw at Queens is out,
R1 Bye,
R2 De Chepper/Devvarman,
R3 Hewitt (possible) or Feli Lopez. Both are grass experts.

I think that all we can hope for, not easy one. If he goes far, Berdych is waiting :devil:
Not to bad really lopez is really quite poor at the moment, hopefully he gets through to face berdych, would be a cracker.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

Don't know what to expect - more likely I think he will go out in QF or earlier. He plays doubles with Dolgopolov so even if he loses in R2/R3 he still gets decent amount of practice on grass courts. He shouldn't really be trying to win this thing because he has played lots of matches lately - and even if it didn't catch up with him in RG, the chances are that if he goes deep here then he would be gassed in Wimbledon. Also he has 3*250 in his "other countable tournaments" section so he can't really add any points in the ranking even if he would win the whole thing. Although the points would be great for the race to WTF - he has a real chance of making it there and he should collect as many points as possible, but in this case Wimbledon should be his priority.

·
Registered
869 Posts

I think he should go as far as he could at Aegon. Andy Murray won it last year and went on to win Wimbledon, too, which means that it does not necessarily tire one out for Wimbly. Anyway, there is a 1-week period in between during which he could rest up.

·
Registered
101 Posts

he can withdraw from Queen's, rest up, and then arrive at wimbledon 5 days before the event starts and start hitting and practicing on the grass court

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Don't know what to expect - more likely I think he will go out in QF or earlier. He plays doubles with Dolgopolov so even if he loses in R2/R3 he still gets decent amount of practice on grass courts. He shouldn't really be trying to win this thing because he has played lots of matches lately - and even if it didn't catch up with him in RG, the chances are that if he goes deep here then he would be gassed in Wimbledon. Also he has 3*250 in his "other countable tournaments" section so he can't really add any points in the ranking even if he would win the whole thing. Although the points would be great for the race to WTF - he has a real chance of making it there and he should collect as many points as possible, but in this case Wimbledon should be his priority.
I think if he won he would add 160 points, i think you can count 250 results instead of 500's...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

he can withdraw from Queen's, rest up, and then arrive at wimbledon 5 days before the event starts and start hitting and practicing on the grass court
having practice time on court is nothing like match practice and ernie definately is someone who needs competitive time on a surface before he can do well. like i said in the other thread if he's tired at all , and it would be understandable because he's played pretty much every week in a row since the start of the clay court masters events then he could withdraw and then ask for a wild card to one of the events the week before wimbledon.

but it seems like he's fina and he'll probably take time off after wimbledon anyway

i dont really expect much of him on grass, im more excited about the hard court season after wimbledon

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

I think he should go as far as he could at Aegon. Andy Murray won it last year and went on to win Wimbledon, too, which means that it does not necessarily tire one out for Wimbly. Anyway, there is a 1-week period in between during which he could rest up.
Murray didn't play French Open last year. For Gulbis this it's been Madrid -> Rome -> Nice -> French Open in a row, that's 17 matches in a month and that's a lot. He has played 43 matches already this season and it's only halfway at the moment - last year in total he played 69 matches and was visibly gassed at the end of the season. I know his fitness has improved a lot lately, but if he, for example, manages to qualify for WTF then he would need to be in shape at the end of the season, otherwise it would be a real dissapointment. I really do believe that this particular tournament is expendable and I hope Ernests thinks the same and plays here just to get going on grass.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

I think if he won he would add 160 points, i think you can count 250 results instead of 500's...
You are right. Still doesn't change my opinion about this tournament - that it's not important and shouldn't be a goal for Gulbis to do well here - he should play just enough to feel confident on the surface.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Gulbis is also playing the boodles this year, not sure about that decision...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

he just seems to playing way to much ' he'll be burned out by the indoor season and that would be horrible because thats his best surface

·
Registered
869 Posts

Murray didn't play French Open last year.
Ok, I didn't know that. That does change the equation. I hope Ernie will stop and rest when his body tells him to and not push himself too hard. On the other hand, if he can handle the schedule, why not? A deep run at Aegon will be great for his confidence going into Wimbly.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

You are right. Still doesn't change my opinion about this tournament - that it's not important and shouldn't be a goal for Gulbis to do well here - he should play just enough to feel confident on the surface.
I agree to a certain extent, but he has a large gap after Wimbledon, not sure what he will play before Canada but will still be a large gap.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

So we are weighing two pitfalls here: fatigue or lack of preparation on grass

The top players have done well at Wimbledon without playing any warm-up tournaments for years now. But can it be the same for Gulbis? On the other hand, the points are shorter on grass and he can rely much more on his serve. The serve is the last shot to go when one is fatigued. I think it's fine if he plays these tournaments, but he should take it easy...

·
Registered
692 Posts

it's Monday and he is OFFICIALLY in Top10!! So happy for him, totally deserved it!!:worship:

it seems he will arrive tomorrow in London...let's see how his grass preparation goes. Every match, every practices will be fine for Wimbledon. I don't think he will be so tired, everybody wants to be ready for such an important tournament like Wimbledon...a long week deserved break is right after London after all!! Fingers crossed and always stay positive!!:wavey:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

My favourite time of the year, absolutly love grass court tennis, hopefully Gulbis serves well and makes a good run here to cement his top 10 place. :worship:

1 - 20 of 599 Posts