Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many more majors do you think Cilic will win?

• 0 - The 2014 US Open Trophy was it.

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • 1 more

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 2 more

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • 3 more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 3 12.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This affable young man obviously has the tools to be one of the best players on tour.

Here is a video of his media tour following his big win:

He seems like such a nice young man. He turned 26 at the end of last September after winning his 1st major title at the US Open.

It also seems that he could be challenging and perhaps dominating the very best on courts that suit his powerful game during his peak years, or is he too injury prone to be consistent enough to dominate? Are there other reasons why he may have a difficult time, or is the sky the limit?

How many more majors do you think he will win if he can stay reasonably healthy, or do you think that this was it?
Do you think he will defend his US Open title?
Do you believe he will have good chances at Wimbledon as well in the coming years?
Which types of players does he have difficulties with, and which suit his game?
Can he overcome the best defenders in the game if the conditions become a bit faster?

Please discuss and assess this young man's future in the sport as you like, but please don't use it as a platform for hate or ridicule. Try to keep things positive for a change. Feel free to post other videos of his highlights and media events as well.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Re: Charming Cilic - Is he likely to win more majors?

You must be joking. He is not winning any more slams.

He is the definition of fluke one slam wonder.

·
29,637 Posts

Lol no.

He'll be a great trivia question until the end of time though, and he'll be happy enough with that.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts

Cilic was struggling to win 500 series prior to USO win, now he cant even pass the first round and you dare to ask such a question?
I dont think Cilic should be holding that USO trophy, so even option 1 is giving me hard time.

·
Registered
21,761 Posts

Btw I loved the timing when you made this thread haha.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Btw I loved the timing when you made this thread haha.
Yes. I find that sometimes the best time in retrospect to ask these types of questions is after a player wins big and is getting hyped to the max, or after a loss when they may appear to be down and out and people are roasting them. Years later, it is possible that the answers can often be "interesting", shall we say... Doesn't always pan out, but it is worth a try. ;) :cool:

I for one, hope that Cilic, Wawrinka, and others aside from the "Big 4" can win more, and Cilic said that he hopes that his win will show others will see they have a chance if they can play their best tennis. 2014 was like a breath of fresh air after relative stagnation in the tour. It's bound to happen anyway in a few years.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

He will win between 12 and 15 Grand Slams. :cool:

On the PlayStation or XBOX of course. :p

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
He'll be one of the top 5 favourites for Wimbledon for the next 3 years, and top 8 favourites in the USO in decent form.

I think he'll win one Wimbledon, and possibly one of W/USO.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
i think he can, yes.his best chances will be on grass but also he'll have a good shot at another US open.its so easy to pick on him right now and say"oh,look at this guy,he is a slam champion but barely winning matches" but remember he started his season a lot later than anyone else because of a shoulder injury and then whe he came back had to take time off again for the same reason.once he gets into match rythym he will be fine. I dont think he will win wimbledon this year but over the next couple of years he will have his chances. Marin has always gotten a lot of hate on here even before the ban and i dont get why. he is a great guy

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
Biggest fluke slam winner I feel. I wish Monfils had got the job done vs Federer. Instead Federer came through a 5 set not at his best. Final had a tired tested Nishikori who faced Raonic, Wawrinka and Djokovic - arguably tougher opponents all round.
Djokovic would have won if they faced in the final. In other words he needs serious luck with the draws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts