Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 years of watching tennis and playing it, I have increasingly grown to admire the simplicity of the game. Although there are bandwagons on MTF claiming one player to be more talented than others, I simply don't understand it. I have always supported Richard Gasquet because he was the one who introduced me to the game during his run to Monte Carlo Semis in 2005.

Following individual posters on MTF is a huge task and my opinion based on the posts and replies here is that we are making playing tennis into something like solving one of those million dollar Mathematics problems, when the basic thing to do is to keep your focus and get the ball into the other side of the court. As the ATP has rightly marketed the sport recently, its a gladiatoral battle out there. Nothing about being intelligent, although that helps to an extent. One of the posters recently came up with a stupid thread about Nadal being the most intelligent by drawing from his shaky logic of strategic play required for Clay courts, when its easy to see that all Nadal does is pound away at the ball mostly into opponents weaknesses.

Its easy to see that the sport is played among ones with flair and ones with grit and some with both. Federer and Gasquet easily belong in the first group. But the ones with grit always have the major share of the spoils, Federer is an exception to this rule. Its nice to see Nadal pumping fists and jumping around, but frankly his game, for that matter every two handed backhander's game, is unfair. They take the joy out of the sport, because they are always looking for accuracy, when Federers' and Gasquets' are trying hard to put the joy in.

Since it is clear that it is impossible to ban players with two handed backhands, I suggest a change in racquet technology. Where the two sides of the racquet are made with different materials such that the dominant side is atleast 20% more powerful than the weaker side. That way we can force every two hander out there to change and the game can go back to days when everyone played with a single hand. Frankly I think the reason for disinterest in tennis is the amazing number of two-handers in tennis.

Hail Gasquet and his 1 handed backhand!

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Were you able to get your drugs on discount?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Have you ever seen Rios play?

oh, right... you have only watched tennis for two years.

Try to watch Nalbandian and Safin play. You will find out this thread is absurd.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Ban the serve too .... people who serve good are cheaters...

WTF are you on about man?

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
I say get rid of backhands completely. Force them to play left handed and ban players from hitting the inside-out forehand.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Justine, Roger and tons of other one-handers are showing that it is the way to go. however the two-handers have an advantage in that they are simply more of them on the tour (esp. wta) I see no reason to ban the 2-handed players but I do think it is great that both #1 players are 1-handed and have incredible skills.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Too bad Federer's one handed backhand is mediocre compared to other one handers on the tour.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is a good time to ask the eternal question: Why?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I play with a one handed backhand yet my favourite to watch is Nalbandian's by far.

This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Borg and Evert are killing the game!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
OK with everyone ridiculing the OP I'm gonna point out the only good point he/she makes, here it is:

One of the posters recently came up with a stupid thread about Nadal being the most intelligent by drawing from his shaky logic of strategic play required for Clay courts, when its easy to see that all Nadal does is pound away at the ball mostly into opponents weaknesses.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I havent been on MTF very long time , but I ve read lots and lots of threads and posts. This is definitelly the No. 1 in stupidity. I have been played 20 years with 1 handed BH, and switch to 2 handed 2 years ago. If you like ball bashing as harder as you can, stick to 1 handed BH, but if you like constructing your points, not just based on one shot, 2 handed backhand is much more likeable tool IMO. Anyway it is apsolutelly ridicolous to uniform tennis play and players. The more versatile styles and players the more fun to watch. Actually, I would love if there are more 2 handed BH and FH , like magician Fabrice Santoro or Monika Seles, Marion Bartoli , egrrrhhh not so much.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Since it is clear that it is impossible to ban players with two handed backhands, I suggest a change in racquet technology. Where the two sides of the racquet are made with different materials such that the dominant side is atleast 20% more powerful than the weaker side. That way we can force every two hander out there to change and the game can go back to days when everyone played with a single hand.
WTF !!!:confused: :confused: :confused:
Who the hell told ya that all 1 handers plays FH and BH with same side of the racquet ??? Mostly the players with extreme western grip do that. YOUR racquet of the future would have same impact on all others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts