Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who have been the risers and fallers in the ATP rankings during 2011, and what will 2012 bring us?

Whilst the very top of the game hasn't really changed, with the top 6 staying solid, the rest of the field has fluctuated, largely due to the small number of ranking points these players collect.

2011 has seen the meteoric rise of Donald Young of the US up to the ranking of 53 (as of writing) and likely further rises by the end of the year. Likewise, Bernard Tomic has risen up to 55 in the world, with a much higher ranking likely by end of year. Higher up the rankings, Raonic cracked the top 30, whilst Del Potro has returned to 13th in the world after injury, with a likely top 10 position in the offing within the next 4 months. Tsonga is back in the top 10, with Gilles Simon on the verge of a top 10 return. Even Gasquet is threatening a top 10 return. Roddick fell to the 20s at one point and faught back to be 14th - can he return to the top 10 ever again? He thinks so. John Isner returned to the top 20 after a good US hard court season, as has Dolgopolov. Bogomolov has had his best ever season to be 38th in the world and Muller has risen to 42.

On the downside, Melzer has dropped out of the top 20 along with Verdasco, whilst the Russians Youzhney and Davydenko, such solid performaners over the years, have dropped out of the top 30. Are they done? Wawrinka has dropped back to 20th after claiming at the start of the year that he wanted to crack the top 10. Baghadatis looks done, down at 71 in the world, for someone who on his day can look like a solid top 30 player. Dimitrov hasn't scaled the heights this year, struggling at 80.

Some players continue to flatter to decieve. Gulbis is mugging it up at 48 in the world, Kohlschreiber looks done at 43 in the world (he's not getting any younger), Belluci cannot crack the top 30 to save his life, and Nalbandian is too injury prone to sustain a challenge to the top guys, struggling at 58.

So my question to fellow posters: who will be the risers and fallers in the rankings during 2012? Will there be any shocks at the top of the game? Will a young gun crack the top 20? Will a French star crack the top 5?
And who will be done in 2012 - falling like a stone out of the rankings?

·
Registered
21,371 Posts
I hope the 3 mousquetaires Gilles, Jo, Gasquet can all get and stay the top 10. Clownfils will injure himself and fall out of the top 20.
I see some movement in the top four, but it hanging mostly together. Dolgo and Del Po will be moving up, Soderling will hover, and Young will flame out, along with the rest of the Americans.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I hope the 3 mousquetaires Gilles, Jo, Gasquet can all get and stay the top 10. Clownfils will injure himself and fall out of the top 20.
I see some movement in the top four, but it hanging mostly together. Dolgo and Del Po will be moving up, Soderling will hover, and Young will flame out, along with the rest of the Americans.
Donald who? lol. Dolgo does play a different tennis but I don't think he's that good. DP, maybe. I really love him but he is not as fast as Novak and Rafa. I really feel it's all about SPEED today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Changing Guards? Maybe years 2016-2017 when Rafa, Nole and Andy will turn 30s. I don't see any potential top 5 right now.
Tomic - 19 yo,new Berdych or Soderling, he has got results just on home soil nad grass
Harrison - 19 yo, new Gasquet, he can do results just in america
Raonic 22 yo, he is 22 now, rafa was on the level when he was 17, nole 18; but if he stays healthy, he can reach Delpo's "before injury" level
Young 23 yo, he is too small for top tennis, new american ALbert Montanes or Ginepri, he's got result just from home soil
Dimitrov 20 yo, solid but not too consistent to be top 5, new Wawrinka
Schoorel,Paire, Pospisil,Berankis,Carreno,Donskoy,Gianessi,Bagnis,Ignatik.... potential top 50
I don't see any good junior right to be able reach top 5

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Changing Guards? Maybe years 2016-2017 when Rafa, Nole and Andy will turn 30s. I don't see any potential top 5 right now.
Tomic - 19 yo,new Berdych or Soderling, he has got results just on home soil nad grass
Harrison - 19 yo, new Gasquet, he can do results just in america
Raonic 22 yo, he is 22 now, rafa was on the level when he was 17, nole 18; but if he stays healthy, he can reach Delpo's "before injury" level
Young 23 yo, he is too small for top tennis, new american ALbert Montanes or Ginepri, he's got result just from home soil
Dimitrov 20 yo, solid but not too consistent to be top 5, new Wawrinka
Schoorel,Paire, Pospisil,Berankis,Carreno,Donskoy,Gianessi,Bagnis,Ignatik.... potential top 50
I don't see any good junior right to be able reach top 5
He is 20 years old, will be 21 in the next season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts