Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well as the new No. 1 Court roof and tiebreak at 12-12, Wimbledon have made some other minor changes this year, including:

• Electronic line-calling and players challenges will be introduced on Courts 14-17, with more courts to be added next year.
  • To Be Arranged matches will be completed, where possible, under the roof.
  • Matches being played under the roof that are suspended due to the 11pm curfew, will recommence the following day without the roof, unless inclement weather dictates otherwise.
The last one obviously due to last year's Djokovic-Nadal situation!

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2019-04-30/confidence_in_the_future_as_aeltc_announces_championships_enhancements_for_2019.html

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
As well as the new No. 1 Court roof and tiebreak at 12-12, Wimbledon have made some other minor changes this year, including:

• Electronic line-calling and players challenges will be introduced on Courts 14-17, with more courts to be added next year.
  • Matches being played under the roof that are suspended due to the 11pm curfew, will recommence the following day without the roof, unless inclement weather dictates otherwise.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2019-04-30/confidence_in_the_future_as_aeltc_announces_championships_enhancements_for_2019.html
I agree with all of them. I don´t have a part in it but that decision last year was unreal. At least they corrected it.

·
Registered
643 Posts

The last rule is problematic, it means that one player should stall in order to change the conditions of the match.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

I guess Wimbledon organizers are not totally hopeless.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
I agree with all of them. I don´t have a part in it but that decision last year was unreal.
However it was based on the existing rule.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
However it was based on the existing rule.
Just because there is a rule doesnt mean it the right one or that it makes sense.
I know roofs are a new thing and they arent perfect and some rules will have to be put in pratise.

The thing is if it was a good rule or correct rule they wouldnt have change it. Right? If its not broken dont fix it.

Im an curious to know about the other 2 slams with roofs.
I know USA will let the match play until it ends.
Now AO i have not seen anything like that Nadal-Djokovic SF.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just because there is a rule doesnt mean it the right one or that it makes sense.
I know roofs are a new thing and they arent perfect and some rules will have to be put in pratise.

The thing is if it was a good rule or correct rule they wouldnt have change it. Right? If its not broken dont fix it.

Im an curious to know about the other 2 slams with roofs.
I know USA will let the match play until it ends.
Now AO i have not seen anything like that Nadal-Djokovic SF.
AO's two-SFs-in-two-days rule is stupid enough. They should fix this first.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Using the roof (ideal conditions) as an excuse for defeat is worse than using the wind as an excuse. If Nadal have a problem with ideal conditions, he has only himself to blame.
As Nadal himself said just a couple of weeks ago ;):

We played in complicated conditions, that's the beauty of the sport, being able to adapt to the circumstances.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Djokovic took advantage of a bad rule. Now it is fixed. Period.
I did not comment on or question about the quality of the rule, but it was confirmed that the final decision was done by the supervisor.
Everything else is gossip and we don't care.
If Nadal fans care, they only show that they are interested in gossip and undermining the authority of umpiring.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
AO's two-SFs-in-two-days rule is stupid enough. They should fix this first.
Unfortunatly i agree with you that its a stupid rule they have. Its clearly give one side an unfair advantage. But funny how MTF doesnt say much about it.

Imagine this at RG.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Using the roof (ideal conditions) as an excuse for defeat is worse than using the wind as an excuse. If Nadal have a problem with ideal conditions, he has only himself to blame.
How long have members here called for roof at RG???

Who used an excuse for loosing to Thiem. And then in the Final for Rafa winning?

This rule has been corrected. That only means one thing. The ruling last year was wrong.
Had the weather been bad sure, everyone here would say close the roof.
But the weather was sunny. But Nole didnt want a open roof. Simple as that.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Judging by the posts on MTF one would expect this change with the roof to be the greatest achievement in tennis history, but in fact this rule probably affects around one match every two years while barely having an influence on its outcome. :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts